Crazy thing happened today, what would you do?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Stay strapped

71AL23ohqIL.jpg

Does that shoot water or foam darts?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Been a day for sure! Just got out of a long meeting at work. I’ll read all these replies tonight. I still think I did the right thing but I definitely understand my wife’s thinking. Let’s see how mad she is at be tonight when I get home. Anyway, I’ll read more of these replies later. I’ll have to say it was a very rememberable day though!

You could use this to your advantage with your wife when you get home ;)

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I'd have tried to take a photo of the perpetrator in the act.

Would not have chased after. There's no amount of pay or job title description that involves getting shot or bashed over the head for trying to protect property. Tell your significant other that she was right, and thank your lucky stars that she was only thinking of your personal safety.

Reactions: wxman1

Cyburbbalz

Dec 14, 2019
So. I had a very crazy morning. I work at a company that has a gated entry but we also rent space from the building directly across the street from us. I manage the rented space.

I pulled into the parking lot at the rented, non-gated, site at around 11:20AM. My wife called me as I was pulling in. I was talking to her as I sat in my truck in the parking lot. I heard a car alarm go off. Didn’t think much of it. And a few seconds later I see someone trying to break into the car parked directly in front of me.

This is where my decision making and my actions following are being questioned.

Here is what I did. I said to my wife, mid-sentence, thar I have to go. Someone is breaking into a car right by me. I threw the phone down (still connected) and ran after the guy. I was so close to getting him but a car was waiting and he hopped in and they peeled off. I never saw the licenses plate and only got a description of the car and the guy but not the get away driver.

Long story short, 6 cars had windows busted and I stoped him mid act on the 7th. Cops came and I gave my statement, talked to security for the business, and was eventually told “the investigators will call you if they need to”. I’m sure I’ll never hear anything.

But, I am now in the doghouse with the wife. She thinks it was extremely reckless and I could have been killed. I see her point but I also know I would do the same thing again. I’m not mad that I chased the guy, I’m mad that I didn’t catch him. I guess my thought is that if no one actually stands up to people like this than nothing will ever change.
What do you want ? A cookie?

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
This thread is giving me PTSD with what I went through a couple weeks ago. At least you did something. I just froze up and let the person robbing our house go. Could of called police and they would have been there in no time as police station is few blocks from our house.

• Friendly
Reactions: alarson

Cyburbbalz

Dec 14, 2019
This thread is giving me PTSD with what I went through a couple weeks ago. At least you did something. I just froze up and let the person robbing our house go. Could of called police and they would have been there in no time as police station is few blocks from our house.
Sorry to hear about the robbery. Hope you are all doing OK.

• Friendly
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

It is not your fault.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I’ve got kids I want to see grow up. No way I’m chasing after anyone, at least over a property crime. Let the cops deal with it.
This absolutely. The last thing I want is a physical confrontation, there's just so many variables and ways it could go horribly wrong. Would I try to scare them off? Absolutely. Would I keep my distance? Absolutely.

Once, I was taking a walk by my office during lunch. I saw a guy trying to snatch a woman's purse across the street from me, and she was giving him a pretty good fight. I started yelling at him until I could cross without getting hit by traffic. As soon as I had an opening, he gave up and ran off. I jogged over to make sure she was okay, but no way I was chasing him (aside from the fact he had a good head start and seemed really fast).

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
If I'm Dwayne "the rock" Johnson with a 9mm, I would chase the Asshat. But I'm far from it, so I would steer clear and let law enforcement do it.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
IMO people smashing windows and stealing stuff happens. I consider it an act of god. Certainly not anything worth putting my physical safety on the line for.

For the record I’ve had stuff stolen from my home and I really struggled pressing charges. Felt terrible about it.

• Dumb
Reactions: cyatheart