MLB: Cubs increase offer for Roberts

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
I just don't see why Chicago needs him so bad, they have plenty of talented infielders. BTW, when does derosa come back from his heart problems?
Go Cardinals!

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
We always seem to want to mortgage the future for a washed up player. This deal is no different IMO.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I got to watch him alot last year and he is a very underrated player, especially defensively. He has decevingly good range and a decent arm. He also had a number of clutch hits for the Nats last year. He's also a pretty decent clubhouse guy.

Belliard .290 11 58 32ys old
Roberts .290 12 57 30ys old.

Roberts does have a huge advantage in SB's though.

jDub

Mar 23, 2006
Waukee
I just don't see why Chicago needs him so bad, they have plenty of talented infielders. BTW, when does derosa come back from his heart problems?
Go Cardinals!

Derosa is back with the team and playing. His first game back was this past Monday.

jDub

Mar 23, 2006
Waukee
What happened to Alex Cintron? I thought that's what he did best?

I don't think many people are sold on Cintron as an every day player. He hit .243 with only 2 SB last year in 68 games and 185 AB.

The thinking behind getting a true leadoff hitter is it allows Soriano to move down in the lineup where he belongs (more RBI).

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I don't think many people are sold on Cintron as an every day player. He hit .243 with only 2 SB last year in 68 games and 185 AB.

The thinking behind getting a true leadoff hitter is it allows Soriano to move down in the lineup where he belongs (more RBI).

Why not Ryan Theriot?

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
I'm a cardinals fan, but the riot has to be the coolest last name ever. What if he gets in a fight? I can imagine the headlines.
"The Riot sparks a riot"

jDub

Mar 23, 2006
Waukee
Why not Ryan Theriot?

In the words of scouts - he's best suited as a utility player. Many think that he doesn't have the tools to be an everyday player. Half the stolen bases of Roberts and about a .025 difference in batting average. Very little pop in the bat compared to Roberts. About the only knock on Roberts is that he strikes out too much.

cyclone9

Dec 26, 2006
We always seem to want to mortgage the future for a washed up player. This deal is no different IMO.
While I hate the thought of giving up talented prospects like veal, ceda, and gallagher, the main goal of any team is to win the world series. I think this deal would get them closer to that goal.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
While I hate the thought of giving up talented prospects like veal, ceda, and gallagher, the main goal of any team is to win the world series. I think this deal would get them closer to that goal.

Roberts ain't gonna make the difference. I am greatly worried about this pitching staff.

cyclone9

Dec 26, 2006
Cubs pitchers were second in the league in ERA last year with a 4.04 and they've added more pitching. Add to that the fact that they will have a healthy Kerry Wood in the bullpen for a full season, and I'd say the staff looks pretty good. Also, the pitchers traded to Baltimore won't contribute much for another 1-2 years. You can't rely on potential over a proven commodity IMO.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Cubs pitchers were second in the league in ERA last year with a 4.04 and they've added more pitching. Add to that the fact that they will have a healthy Kerry Wood in the bullpen for a full season, and I'd say the staff looks pretty good. Also, the pitchers traded to Baltimore won't contribute much for another 1-2 years. You can't rely on potential over a proven commodity IMO.

Dumpster in the starting rotation and you aren't worried?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron