Cy-Hawk Game Discussion

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
I'm hoping Scheelhaase has figured iowas zone d better than Manning did. There's ways to beat that system, we just never tried them with Manning.
I like NS being in this matchup better than Manning. Both CMC and manning had OL backgrounds and assumed they could run the ball right through the teeth of the UI defense. with NS QB background, I believe he is going to push throwing the ball more. And again, we only ran 45 plays, so UI has little to no film or concept of how Rocco will handle blitzes, packages, and what he likes to do when hes in there

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I like NS being in this matchup better than Manning. Both CMC and manning had OL backgrounds and assumed they could run the ball right through the teeth of the UI defense. with NS QB background, I believe he is going to push throwing the ball more. And again, we only ran 45 plays, so UI has little to no film or concept of how Rocco will handle blitzes, packages, and what he likes to do when hes in there
Iowa had a bit of trouble containing USU's mobile QB and I hope we take advantage of that.

Reactions: RagingCloner

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
If we can run the ball I'll feel a little more confident. Rocco was great last week but I'm nervous if he gets pressured and feels he needs to play to win against this Iowa defense, that's what killed Purdy over and over again. Just get the ball to our playmakers.
I'm excited though! Should be a fun game.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I'm hoping Scheelhaase has figured iowas zone d better than Manning did. There's ways to beat that system, we just never tried them with Manning.
We can’t play offense in a phone booth against Iowa. So scrap the 12 and 13 sets and even go 4 wide with no TE sometimes. Iowa is always physical and disciplined with their front 7 but they are vulnerable when their LBs have to cover space. Purdue and Northwestern’s good teams under Fitz often put on a clinic in the passing game. ISU has also had frequent success throwing against Iowa then you hand of off or have QB run when we spread them out. I think Manning and crew thought they could beat Iowa straight up on talent in 2021 and it was a disaster, especially with turnovers.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Does Rocco have a slight mental advantage over Cade, having been in this game before? Obviously he didnt play, but he went through the same preparations and knows what it takes to win this game. Not saying Cade hasnt played in big games, but the UM/OSU game doesnt quite compare to this one

Edit-this made more sense in my head before i said it out loud. Apologies for distracting from our Cyhawk Game Discussion

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Does Rocco have a slight mental advantage over Cade, having been in this game before? Obviously he didnt play, but he went through the same preparations and knows what it takes to win this game. Not saying Cade hasnt played in big games, but the UM/OSU game doesnt quite compare to this one
Just wondering your thought process... How wouldn't the UM/OSU game compare to this one?

Reactions: dfitzy10 and 1776

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
Huh? OSU vs Michigan is a much bigger game with bigger stakes.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
Strange but True: Nate never played against Iowa when he was at Illinois

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
what-the.gif

Doug Piranha

Oct 13, 2021
How about the BIG Championship game or the CFP, Do those compare?

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
Feeling confident this time but I always feel confident against Iowa since Campbell's third year because we always have more talent than them. If we have 0 turnovers we'll win
I firmly believe we have a better team this year but not really sure that anyone can confidently say we always have more talent. Since the 2017 NFL draft Iowa has had 26 draft picks with 14 of those being in the top 3 rounds. We have had 10 in that same time frame with only 3 in the top 3 rounds.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

Well, you don't beat zones by having horizontally flat route trees and despising misdirection.

Nate needs to be more creative. Get plays in on time, keep the offense moving when it's in rhythm, use varied route trees, incorporate more misdirection/flow plays to exploit the defense, use some quick crosses/slants to get your QB in rhythm and the defense honest. Having some kind of running game would help as well.

Reactions: clonehome

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
View attachment 116403

Wednesday of game week, and I've read enough about ticket scanners. Let's talk about the game.

This is probably the most similar the two teams have been in as long as I can remember, and that's really intriguing to me.
-Two of the best coordinators, with two very good defenses, led by the secondaries.
-Both are conservative on offense, with new qbs, less than stellar Oline, and questions at WR.
-Iowa probably has the special teams advantage because of their punter, and just past track record.

Both sides is strength vs weakness, so it's seems like the team that makes less mistakes, doesn't turn it over, and maybe hits one or two big plays, will have the big advantage.

The fact of how Iowa-like ISU looked in week one really makes it a tough game to predict. With the exception of Rocco's completion %. Kind of like Iowa pre-Petras.

CyPack

Apr 19, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Just eliminate the turnovers against them and be aggressive. There will be plays to be made on offense. Based on the UNI game there's a good chance ISU can break even in the special teams phase and then it comes down to our D making some plays and keeping them off balance and we can get out with a win.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I spoke about the offense in my post above so now the defense. I’d like to think there is a way to scheme to cover Iowa’s TEs, especially in long yardage situations. It seems like if you can limit the TE passing game they don’t have much else. For instance, maybe a LB or safety jumps one of those delayed crossing routes or underneath screens. In fact, I don’t remember exactly but that might have been how Reeder got his pick last year.

Reactions: t-noah