Cy-Hawk game extended through 2023

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Documented Iowa fan here with season tickets to Iowa. I also hold two season tickets to ISU, also noted last year. I did renew. Wife is an ISU grad and I do like attending games there when Iowa is not at home or close enough to travel to see. I would say I am more the normal Iowa fan than most who are the forums or call in shows. I like the game and it should go on. The game has an intensity that is like a significant conference game. It is like brother against brother, and as I heard someone else describe it, this is the one game that gets all the casual fans' attention. For a lot of people in the state this is the one game they pay attention to and actually watch. They need to make it a permanent late start also so it at least finishes under the lights. Let the fans have the full day to tail gate at the game or party at home or get back from a full day of kids' events (soccer, etc.). It is good for the state and good for Iowa City and Ames. I agree Iowa's problem is not ISU. If Iowa goes 12-0 and wins title game they are in. If Iowa goes 11-1 and wins title game, more likely than not gets in (unless the one loss was an ugly one and depending on when it happened). If Iowa loses 2, no way we get in a field of 4. If playoffs expand to field of 8 or 12 or 16, then yeah 2 losses is possible to get in. I am looking forward to the game in Ames in September and hoping it is a late start. Not sure when game time is going to get set, but hoping for something like a 6pm or after kick.

• Winner
Reactions: Dormeezy

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Adding one more comment. With Iowa playing in Ames, the environment is a great test for the Iowa team ahead of conference games. This year will be a good test for whichever QB starts, either Weigers or Stanley. Nice and loud and intense. Great test for the players before heading to Mich State or Wisconsin later on.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Only a 2 year extension...does anyone else find this very odd?
How long is it typically extended?
When is the Big 12 GOR up?

Is the short extension due to ISU joining the B1G in '24???

O.M.G.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA

O.M.G.

Both conferences GORs are up in that timeframe. We would likely know about 2021 what other schools plans are if theres any movement.

Who knows, the Big 10 might step in and say they want 10 conference games. If that happens, the game probably stays forever if the Big 10 also requires to play a P5 in addition.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

O.M.G.
That is a key question and observation. We may not be P5 after that date. No doubt Texas and OU will be shopping around. Nothing may change, but a big point of uncertainty.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
That is a key question and observation. We may not be P5 after that date. No doubt Texas and OU will be shopping around. Nothing may change, but a big point of uncertainty.

Lots of things could happen. If the market corrects and suddenly the major TV players only want to pay half for the rights, you may see the super conference model break down.

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
Campbell will have this program rolling by then like the Danny Mac days! Bold prediction, from now until 2023 we will beat Iowa more than they beat us. As a result, they will get rid of the game. Fear

• Optimistic
Reactions: The_Gent

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Campbell better have this program rolling and let's hope our TV viewership doubles by then...

audioboom.com/posts/5873292-…

Finebaum: "Big 12, as is exist today, won't be around in 5 years"

"University of Oklahoma wants out"

4:00-6:00

FWIW...Came out today. With how things went down last year i just don't see this conference lasting past 2023. Hope to God I'm wrong.

ICHawk24

Sep 8, 2010
The two year extension means the length of the deal matches the B1G first tier deal with ESPN/Fox.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron