CY-HAWK INJURIES: Norton doubtful, Remsburg an option, Iowa banged up

Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019
The full updates on where Iowa State is injury-wise going into Saturday, plus, it looks like Iowa has a few out.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
So was Cooper getting so many snaps because of injuries? Looking like Verdon and McGee did not play because of injuries? Trevon Howard was in on some snaps this last week in the BS position, but Cooper was took the majority, where he is normally listed at the 2nd option at the FS position. So there maybe more upside to Verdon and McGee at the BS position?

Edit: more upside short term...

Last edited:

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
So was Cooper getting so many snaps because of injuries? Looking like Verdon and McGee did not play because of injuries? Trevon Howard was in on some snaps this last week in the BS position, but Cooper was took the majority, where he is normally listed at the 2nd option at the FS position. So there maybe more upside to Verdon and McGee at the BS position?
Cooper was very impressive in camp and trending towards early playing time. Hard to do so early, but injury’s helped get him there.

As true for any freshman, it’s usually better to develop and learn the system rather than start right away.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Edit: more upside short term...
Paraphrasing John Walters on the pregame, when Verdon and McGee couldn’t play, Anthony Johnson slid to BS and Cooper started at FS.

(Cooper has an immense amount of upside. He’s still only about 180 lbs right now though)

Reactions: BACyclone

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Good to potentially have some guys back for the Iowa game. Doubt Remsburg will go, but the report is at least encouraging for him to be back soon.

KremitGreens

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2020
It was the perfect game to have Cooper get the majority of the snaps. He wasn’t a weak spot by any means. He looked just as ready as any other.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
It was the perfect game to have Cooper get the majority of the snaps. He wasn’t a weak spot by any means. He looked just as ready as any other.
He looked solid and the safeties looked solid.

An interesting one for me is how do we corral Sam Laporta their TE? I vote to put a guy like Anthony Johnson on him - b/c he will not outrun that guy.... Anthony J is also a sure tackler. I think Laporta is really close to one of the only threats on offense they have. If we bottle him up that hurts Iowa for sure.

Also - I hope to see more run blitzes and blitzes overall. Their offense stinks, so attack it. We need to keep them off the field.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

An interesting one for me is how do we corral Sam Laporta their TE? I vote to put a guy like Anthony Johnson on him - b/c he will not outrun that guy.... Anthony J is also a sure tackler. I think Laporta is really close to one of the only threats on offense they have. If we bottle him up that hurts Iowa for sure.

Also - I hope to see more run blitzes and blitzes overall. Their offense stinks, so attack it. We need to keep them off the field.
I think it will be Reeder, if first game was any indication. Reeder did a lot of pass coverage, this is what allowed SEMO qb to run more successfully. Reeder was about the only man on man in pass coverage and quite often had TEs and RBs from what i saw. I didn't follow him all the time, but I noticed he was covering patterns quite a bit.

Reactions: cyclone1209

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com

On top of that maybe we can turn them over, get ourselves some short fields and reduce their use of the punter.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Be nice to see more aggressive packages on defense but it's not really Heacock's style. He likes to wait until the second half to bring his pressure.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Treiber played really well against SEMO. Rewatching the game, I only saw him really whiff on one block. He was very solid and he was very active. On Brock’s sensational run, Treiber hustled across and downfield to try and make a block at the goal line.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Brecht going to get forced into action due to Iowa having no WR depth. Jestin Jacobs being out seems significant also. I dare say I feel good about this game on Saturday, for Iowa State's chances. God knows it isn't the only time I've felt this way in the last 3-4 years though.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

I think you put a safety on him and jam him at the line as much as possible. Kind of the stuff that other teams did to Charlie K. the last couple years. Just slow him getting off the line enough to throw the timing of the play off a bit. Might want to even double him because at this point he is the only guy Petras trusts.

Reactions: jdolson27

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think you put a safety on him and jam him at the line as much as possible. Kind of the stuff that other teams did to Charlie K. the last couple years. Just slow him getting off the line enough to throw the timing of the play off a bit. Might want to even double him because at this point he is the only guy Petras trusts.

I'd like to have a guy chip him at the line on the way to pressuring Petras. The guy is a TE, he's not going to break one. As much fun as it would be to just get like 8 sacks and absolutely stuff them I have zero confidence that Iowa can even muster a 50 yard drive. I still think we want to play tighter (like safeties only 12-15 yards deep) but I want them to keep everything in front of them and truly stuff the run game.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10