CY-HAWK INJURIES: Norton doubtful, Remsburg an option, Iowa banged up

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think you put a safety on him and jam him at the line as much as possible. Kind of the stuff that other teams did to Charlie K. the last couple years. Just slow him getting off the line enough to throw the timing of the play off a bit. Might want to even double him because at this point he is the only guy Petras trusts.
He trusts Bruce too. In the game against SDSU, Bruce was the only WR to catch a pass and I'd have to assume Petras only targeted maybe one more guy at that position. Other than that, Williams caught two passes out of the backfield, their FB caught one, and their two TE's combined for 3 catches.

Stuff the run, force Iowa into obvious passing situations, and make Petras throw to guys he's not comfortable throwing to. Hell, he's barely comfortable throwing the ball to anyone.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
LaPorta is a good player. So is Bruce. If they find just one more guy (maybe Becht?), they could be OK if we can’t get pressure. We couldn’t get pressure on SEMO, so what makes anyone think we will against Iowa?

I know this is an “injury” thread, but the DL was and is healthy, as far as i know. Need a MASSIVE improvement from week 1 to week 2.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
LaPorta is a good player. So is Bruce. If they find just one more guy (maybe Becht?), they could be OK if we can’t get pressure. We couldn’t get pressure on SEMO, so what makes anyone think we will against Iowa?

I know this is an “injury” thread, but the DL was and is healthy, as far as i know, and needs to make a MASSIVE improvement from week 1 to week 2.
SEMO had a mobile quarterback so we had to try to stay in our lanes (didn't succeed quite a few times though).

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

I know this is an “injury” thread, but the DL was and is healthy, as far as i know. Need a MASSIVE improvement from week 1 to week 2.
Brody Brecht will be making his debut and hasn't played a snap of CFB to this day. I highly doubt that he will be a huge factor. As for SEMO (in the first half), we got pressure a few times, their QB made some great plays, and our guys didn't pursuit him will.

Petras is a statue, his legs are not a factor. We will not be as vanilla defensively as we were last week.

Reactions: Ankency and Aclone

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
SEMO had a mobile quarterback so we had to try to stay in our lanes (didn't succeed quite a few times though).
We have an all-American defensive end who was non-existent against a sun belt team. I know he was doubled all day, but that should leave at least someone unattended. SEMO had 38 pass attempts and their QB had 12 carries. That’s 50 plays and we had zero sacks and just 3 ToL.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
We have an all-American defensive end who was non-existent against a sun belt team. I know he was doubled all day, but that should leave at least someone unattended. SEMO had 38 pass attempts and their QB had 12 carries. That’s 50 plays and we had zero sacks and just 3 ToL.
I don't know, when you're only rushing 3 and they have 5 sometimes 6/7 blockers... you're not going to get to the QB much, if at all.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I agree that it wasn't what we expected, but they can be far more aggressive against Petras since they don't have to worry about him taking off for 20 yards like we did against SEMO.

Reactions: GMackey32

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Brody Brecht will be making his debut and hasn't played a snap of CFB to this day. I highly doubt that he will be a huge factor. As for SEMO (in the first half), we got pressure a few times, their QB made some great plays, and our guys didn't pursuit him will.

Petras is a statue, his legs are not a factor. We will not be as vanilla defensively as we were last week.
I think you're right, but I hope Heacock brings it early. He's said he likes to play base and see what the offense does first, before making adjustments.
Well he should know exactly what Iowa is going to do by now. Bring pressure or make adjustments early.
If we're down 10-14 points in the first half, it won't matter if the defense shuts them out in the second half.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Their QB wasn't sitting back and making reads though.. he was getting the ball out essentially as fast as he could or he was taking off and running early. Their supposedly "stud" RB had 6 carries for 8 yards.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I think you're right, but I hope Heacock brings it early. He's said he likes to play base and see what the offense does first, before making adjustments.
Well he should know exactly what Iowa is going to do by now. Bring pressure or make adjustments early.
If we're down 10-14 points in the first half, it won't matter if the defense shuts them out in the second half.
If we get down double digits in this game, it won’t be pretty.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Their QB wasn't sitting back and making reads though.. he was getting the ball out essentially as fast as he could or he was taking off and running early. Their supposedly "stud" RB had 6 carries for 8 yards.
Do you think we need to jam receivers then, or will the 10 yard cushion be good enough against Petras?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Jon's been very good in this game. We sacked Petras like 6 times last year and their offense has struggled to score the last two years. It's our offense putting up points against their defense is what I'm more concerned with.

If we can get a lead our defense will then be able to do a lot more things.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Do you think we need to jam receivers then, or will the 10 yard cushion be good enough against Petras?
I don't want us to jam them but I think 10 yards is way too much cushion. Now, it is different playing Iowa because their quick pass plays are 3 step drops with a 5 yard out which takes slightly more time to develop than what SEMO was doing. I said it in another thread though. Iowa doesn't necessarily like throwing to chip away at the defense. They'd rather get 4 yards on a run than throw a 4 yard hitch, especially on first down.

They have one fast receiver in Bruce and that's it. We should not be getting beat by anyone but him and we should shade to his and LaPorta's sides. Our other guys need to make plays on the ball because Petras will likely give us 3-4 opportunities for interceptions.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Jon's been very good in this game. We sacked Petras like 6 times last year and their offense has struggled to score the last two years. It's our offense putting up points against their defense is what I'm more concerned with.

If we can get a lead our defense will then be able to do a lot more things.
We had Enyi, Z Petersen, Rose and Hummel last year too.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We had Enyi, Z Petersen, Rose and Hummel last year too.
Yes but we have new guys now that have experience as well. We need to trust the recruiting that CMC's done and there was really nothing in that SEMO game that made me worried about the future. SEMO had one big deep ball that set up a TD and that was it on offense. The field goal drive they ran 4 plays for 2 yards after an INT return. Here are their drives in the 2nd half:

3 plays, punt
7 plays, punt
3 plays, punt
6 plays, punt
1 play, end of game

They had 49 offensive yards in that half.

• Informative
Reactions: wclarson

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
My apologies for the rapid posts in here today. I’ve been silent since Saturday. I just don’t see Iowa being as ****** as they were last week, and I see a lot of people who are expecting it.
I agree, I think they’ll probably find a stud QB from the crowd. There’s got to be some great athletes hiding somewhere on their roster that they’ve been holding back just for this game. I expect Barry Sanders and Jerry Rice out there for iowa on Saturday because what they did last Saturday is definitely out of the norm for that high octane hawkeye offense :jimlad:

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

We got pressure but their QB usually scrambled out of it. We forced one INT and should have had at least 2 more on plays he threw into traffic while under pressure. I thought the D-line was fine outside of containing QB scrambles. The linebackers were also really bad at containing too.

SEMO really didn't get anything in the running game outside of those scrambles either. Their designed run plays didn't get much.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I could've sworn I saw that they switched qb's and it wasn't to Padilla. Maybe I'm dreaming things.