Cy logo

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I'm wondering in even 5 years if you showed a roomfull of college football fans these logos if they'd have a clue its an Iowa State logo. To me that is the most troubling...I loved the twirly bird, now people aren't going to a) have a clue who that mascot is representing , and b) people aleady are confused by the bird....how do I explain no more twirly?

Well, if this is what they intend to promote, then promote it. And freaking stick with it. No more changes.

CyLoboClone

Oct 15, 2009
Albuquerque
But, but, what would we do with the "new logos budget" ?!

if we dont spend that money, it goes away for the next fiscal year. We should use that money for a new copier.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
6a00d834515db069e2010536b5e322970c-800wi

This is what you are talking about. It is fantastic...it draws from a logo we have had for nearly 20 years, and matures it into a professional mark by eliminating the horrible font and navy blue color scheme.

What the AD/marketing department has done, cloak and dagger, with this new iteration (if you can even call it that) is just sickening. I have a hard time believing that we paid money for it to be done, and that someone was paid to produce that. It looks like a horrible version of Bucky the Badger, and the oval atrocities look like Mizzou's logo.

Words can not even describe how upset I am over this. You can't just go changing a mark every 3-4 years. Do we really want to represent our mascot in the most un-unique way possible? In my opinion this has set us back, immediately upon release, a good 10 years.

I agree. We now have a logo that is non-distinguishable. The one above IS the one we should stick with. No one has anything like it.

Perhaps the athletic dept. feels a new logo will make us more prominant? Actually, WINNING makes us more prominant.

I give the logo change an F+. This, only because Drake did so well with the D+.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
I like it, but WTF happened to Punching CY?!?

And Wisconsin anyone? JP needs to step back a little IMO.
mascot-fullbody.jpg
wisconsin_badgers_iphone_wallpaper.jpg

I don't think Wisconsin is the only school with a pic of their mascot walking. Here's an example of Mr. Wuf from my grad school Alma Mater:
jcmn1syys6pch785fhnb.gif

NC State's had a version of that mascot every since the became the "Wolfpack" way back in the day.

I think the new color scheme punching Cy is the best. I don't see why we can't have the punching Cy and the new walking Cy both.

CY22

Sep 14, 2008
IA
I can totally understand arguments as to why the whirly bird logo is better or why the retro walking Cy is better, but the main point is that these newest logos are crap. I'll throw my opinion out that the whirly bird was my favorite because it took the 2 major themes among fans. 1) it used our identity as "cyclones" with the tornado in it and 2) it used Cy as many fans adore him (or her for some I suppose). Bridging this gap with the whirly bird truly set us apart as we didn't have just another cardinal but it incorporated him none-the-less.

On another note: the whirly bird was my favorite because of the attached logo from my high-school. It is Center Point-Urbana (CPU) located north of Cedar Rapids, IA. Center Point used to be the pointers and Urbana was the Cyclones (go figure). When the schools joined, instead of choosing a mascot we combined the two to come up with the stormin' pointers. Yeah, some have called it lame, others have embraced it. I chose to embrace it, as we were informed of having one of the most authentic mascots in high school across the country. It may not look the greatest to everyone (we had an older one I liked alot more with the mascot flexing his biceps) but we all accepted it as a union of both communities and supported our teams with it. That's why I wish we could all do the same with the whirly bird logo, bridging both "communities" of fans for Cy and fans for the traditional cyclone. I'll just continue to hope.....and stock up on merchandise with the new color-scheme whirly bird logo while they last!

Reactions: jdoggivjc
Jul 15, 2010
West Des Moines
Does it really matter what the "secondary" logo really is?? Does it matter enough to argue and lay blame on others? We have a primary Logo, and what really matters is the product that is put on the field/court.

Our product is getting better, so instead of complaining about an insignificant secondary logo, rally behind the school and team and support them! That is what matters most, not if a certain logo looks like another schools logo or if my kids sweatshirt does not match the current "secondary" logo..

Go Cyclones!!

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Does it really matter what the "secondary" logo really is?? Does it matter enough to argue and lay blame on others? We have a primary Logo, and what really matters is the product that is put on the field/court.

Our product is getting better, so instead of complaining about an insignificant secondary logo, rally behind the school and team and support them! That is what matters most, not if a certain logo looks like another schools logo or if my kids sweatshirt does not match the current "secondary" logo..

Go Cyclones!!

GREAT POST.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I can totally understand arguments as to why the whirly bird logo is better or why the retro walking Cy is better, but the main point is that these newest logos are crap. I'll throw my opinion out that the whirly bird was my favorite because it took the 2 major themes among fans. 1) it used our identity as "cyclones" with the tornado in it and 2) it used Cy as many fans adore him (or her for some I suppose). Bridging this gap with the whirly bird truly set us apart as we didn't have just another cardinal but it incorporated him none-the-less.

On another note: the whirly bird was my favorite because of the attached logo from my high-school. It is Center Point-Urbana (CPU) located north of Cedar Rapids, IA. Center Point used to be the pointers and Urbana was the Cyclones (go figure). When the schools joined, instead of choosing a mascot we combined the two to come up with the stormin' pointers. Yeah, some have called it lame, others have embraced it. I chose to embrace it, as we were informed of having one of the most authentic mascots in high school across the country. It may not look the greatest to everyone (we had an older one I liked alot more with the mascot flexing his biceps) but we all accepted it as a union of both communities and supported our teams with it. That's why I wish we could all do the same with the whirly bird logo, bridging both "communities" of fans for Cy and fans for the traditional cyclone. I'll just continue to hope.....and stock up on merchandise with the new color-scheme whirly bird logo while they last!

This. It's not that they changed to a walking Cy - it's that the logo that they changed to itself is horrible.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I don't have anything new here but I will chime in as one who is not impressed. I still don't much care for the I state but its a reasonable thing to have on helmets. I really liked the punching cy and the swirling cy and thought all those, with the updated colors were worth keeping because they are unique to some extent and are somewhat known. This is a change that doesnt seem to be for any reason other than JP or whomever else to say, "look everything around me has my pee on it."

Also, where can I buy a hoodie with this on it. I still really like it.
1984VCCyclone.jpg

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Agree. And we don't change our logo that often. People exaggerate.

I can't think of any other BCS conference school that has changed it's logo as many times as we have. There certainly aren't any in the Big 12.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
But, but, what would we do with the "new logos budget" ?!

if we dont spend that money, it goes away for the next fiscal year. We should use that money for a new copier.

We should use it to pay for focus groups of some of our most dedicated fans to debate things about the athletics department. Oh wait, we already get that free from CF.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I can't think of any other BCS conference school that has changed it's logo as many times as we have. There certainly aren't any in the Big 12.

Because you're refering to their primary mark, not their secondary marks. The primary marks are Oklahoma's "OU", Nebraska's "N", Texas' "Longhorn"... It appears on everything that relates to the university. That stuff is what you see on uniforms, fields, courts and TV and it the main recognizable symbol of the university. How many people really looked at the whirly bird and instantly said "Oh that's Iowa State."?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I give you the '80's tornado, minus the "Iowa State" in that lame font...

That was part of my 6,000-word manifesto —

I have seen multiple posts when people say they (1) hated Blender Cy (which I call Cy-nado) and others who (2) really like the Criner-era tornado emblem.

When I first read that people thought the Criner-cyclone was good, I thought, Wuh? But partly it was my connection to losing (lucky me, that’s when I attended ISU) but when I thought about it, the typeface kills it.

And that’s also my problem with Cy-Nado — the font. (other than the navy-blue mistake — but I’ll get to that some other time)

Both seem dated, and I think it’s partly because of the lettering.

Whirling Cy at least had 10-plus years to establish familiarity, and I still think it was a clever merging of the original cardinal mascot and the Cylones nickname. But the typeface was probably even worse than the Criner helmet.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
LOL, that 2nd one of Herky punching Cy is pretty good!

Except that the Herky shown here is about as pathetic-looking piece of dung as I've seen.

Not that I'm a big fan of their dated tiger parrot. But to be true to their mascot, aren't they the HawkEYES? Perhaps they should revise their logo (which, when turned on its beak bears a rather striking resemblance to a silhouette of Fred Flintstone) to look like a feathered eyeball. Perhaps, something like this:

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
its not like the tiger hawk is anything special. It just is what it is and people bought into it. If found a decent logo and used it for 30 years.. People would buy into that too

hell, you gotta be an artist to draw that stupid thing

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Except that the Herky shown here is about as pathetic-looking piece of dung as I've seen.

Not that I'm a big fan of their dated tiger parrot. But to be true to their mascot, aren't they the HawkEYES? Perhaps they should revise their logo (which, when turned on its beak bears a rather striking resemblance to a silhouette of Fred Flintstone) to look like a feathered eyeball. Perhaps, something like this:

They tried an updated version of the tiger hawk recently, if I remember correctly, and it wasn't well received. They have a pretty good brand, don't know why they messed with it.

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
its not like the tiger hawk is anything special. It just is what it is and people bought into it. If found a decent logo and used it for 30 years.. People would buy into that too

hell, you gotta be an artist to draw that stupid thing

I disagree. The tiger hawk is everything you want in a logo: simple, recognizable, iconic. No words or complex designs needed, you know it's Iowa.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
I disagree. The tiger hawk is everything you want in a logo: simple, recognizable, iconic. No words or complex designs needed, you know it's Iowa.

has nothing to do with the logo....but the winning on the field.

logos are over-rated. especially secondary logos.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
has nothing to do with the logo....but the winning on the field.

logos are over-rated. especially secondary logos.

If you mean that the quality and/or design of the logo is overrated, I agree. (If it's hideous then obviously that's not good.)

However, if you mean that HAVING a logo is overrated, I couldn't disagree more. Having that one iconic image that everyone associates with you and is ubiquitous to your organization is worth a lot if you do it right.

Get a decent logo, don't change it, and use it everywhere. Easy.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron