*** Cyclone Fanatic Sitcom Tournament: Selection Show ***

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
(Speaking in role of participant, not as committee member) ...

Who is your first choice as the 12-over-5 classic upset? (keep in mind, this will not affect official voting tally in any way).

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
(Speaking in role of participant, not as committee member) ...

Who is your first choice as the 12-over-5 classic upset? (keep in mind, this will not affect official voting tally in any way).

Scrubs over Married with Children. Dr. Cox is one my all time favorite characters and while I haven’t seen many MWC episodes, I don’t think they have the emotional pull that Scrubs does across its run.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think it's a fun list and while I don't agree with a lot of them I think it is mostly fair. The only one I think is badly miseeded is Big Bang. Not a huge fan personally, but that was probably the most popular network sitcom for like a decade and maybe the last of its kind. I would also like to see The Good Place make the cut, but I can understand why it didn't.

• Friendly
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Scrubs over Married with Children. Dr. Cox is one my all time favorite characters and while I haven’t seen many MWC episodes, I don’t think they have the emotional pull that Scrubs does across its run.
I’m super biased but scrubs should be a 2-3 seed. Very few sitcoms out there have the range that series does. From hilarious stand alone episodes, to call backs to old shows like happy days, the insane cameos, and also the absolute tear jerker episodes. The final episode of scrubs is an all time close to the show and “My Last Words” is a top 5 episode of TV for anyone in the medical field.

Edit* add in a banger of a musical episode with “guy love” and a perfect homage to Wizard of Oz both in season 6 and that show just kept it coming.

Last edited:

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
I’m super biased but scrubs should be a 2-3 seed. Very few sitcoms out there have the range that serious does. From hilarious stand alone episodes, to call backs to old shows like happy days, the insane cameos, and also the absolute tear jerker episodes. The final episode of scrubs is an all time close to the show and My Steak Dinner is a top 5 episode of TV for anyone in the medical field.

Edit* add in a banger of a musical episode with “guy love” and a perfect homage to Wizard of Oz both in season 6 and that show just kept it coming.

If I am going off what I am familiar with in this bracket, I would personally put Scrubs above Modern Family and The Office. While get why The Office is a number one seed, I think Modern Family is too high.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
If I am going off what I am familiar with in this bracket, I would personally put Scrubs above Modern Family and The Office. While get why The Office is a number one seed, I think Modern Family is too high.
I personally think the office is ungodly overrated. Modern family at 2 is fine to me as it was pretty solid throughout its whole run.

algonacy

Feb 19, 2012
Iowa
I got a final four of:
- Seinfeld (the biggest of heavyweights and eventual overall champion)

- WKRP (shocking upsets along the way with the older demographic pulling through with many mentions made of the greatest single episode of all time on TV. "As the Lord is my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly".)

- Married with Children (in the weakest bracket by far. RIP M*A*S*H which I loved)

- Cheers (dividing the older demographic in the elite 8 between Cheers and Home Improvement and the younger demographic voting for the classic bar-based sitcom and hearing a lifetime of Norm'isms.)

Reactions: cyclones500

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Some of the more interesting first round matchups IMO...

New York: 6 The Wonder Years v. 11 The King of Queens

Korea: 5 Married... With Children v. 12 Scrubs

Boston: 8 The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air v. 9 Schitt's Creek

Boston: 5 Laverne & Shirley v. 12 The Cosby Show

Scranton: 8 WKRP in Cincinnati v. 9 That '70s Show

Scranton: 7 Family Ties v. 10 Parks and Recreation

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The Wonder Years was a great show. Hard to find it on reruns. I would not classify it as a sitcom though. Glad to see it mentioned however.

The Big Bang Theory and 2 and a half men are far better shows than the 8/9 seeding.

Thanks for putting this together. I'm sure it was not easy.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
No Murphy Brown is a bit surprising.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The Big Bang Theory and 2 and a half men are far better shows than the 8/9 seeding.

Thanks for putting this together. I'm sure it was not easy.

Big Bang Theory and 2 and a Half Men are really built out of the same mold. Not great television shows, but good for a mindless laugh or two.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Parks and Rec = the FAU of this year’s tournament.
Parks and Rec = the team with the stud player you love watching but playing for a coach you can't stand. I think Amy Poehler is super annoying and not funny at all, but Ron Swanson might be one of the greatest sitcom characters of all time.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyinthenorth