Cyclone Hazy IPA

Ingynow

RIP CHC
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 3, 2017
Omaha, NE
That can design is fantastic! I hope we can find some of these ISU beers in stock somewhere when we get into town to tailgate on Fridays.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I 100% agree with this. People will get confused and buy these other cans thinking they're heping out WeWill. I guarantee it.
The more beers out there, the more possibilities for people to get confused. And WeWill definitely needs the money more than the atheletic department. If Jamie wants to open up Jack Trice beer sales for everyone, he can get his needed money.
Do you drink beer? All the brands and types of beer drinkers have to navigate and you think 4 different Cyclone beers is too much for them?

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
Which is sad because look at Swarm, they're getting like 100K a month from their beer sales already.
Yep. Unfortunately they were able to partner with one of the biggest and most widely distributed brewers in the state. And they have like 3x the numbers of fans as us.

I'll buy this new beer probably, but I'll be sure to buy a lot more Ames Lager.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I feel like Backpocket is coming in clutch with some options for us Cyclone fans on the eastern side of the state. I know both Blum and West O are saying that Ames Lager will be distributed state-wide, but am guessing it will be awhile until West O is able to keep up their production with the demand and get their distribution figured out. Backpocket has a taproom in Dubuque, and hq is in Coralville. Makes me feel like they are going to take care of serving the Cyclone beer needs of us easterners.

MushroomPinball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2017
There are a LOT of varieties of IPAs, you hate all of them? IMO, hazy's are some of the easier drinking IPAs & my favorite. A lot of the various IPA varieties taste nothing alike.
I hate most of them and the ones that I though were ok I could maybe drink when outside on a hot day but could only have one.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Do you drink beer? All the brands and types of beer drinkers have to navigate and you think 4 different Cyclone beers is too much for them?
Yes, and almost exclusively craft beer. I also know how little the general population pays attention to this sort of stuff.
I'm also maybe a little different case because I care deeply about our collective raising money. I'm not a wealthy person, still young in my career, and I've donated 500 since the collective started. I care less about all the different types of beers and more about the fundraising.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Nice. Backpocket has always been hit/miss with me but they've improved a lot over the last few years. Fingers crossed that this is a good one.

In collaboration with @iowastateu & @cycloneath, we are so excited to introduce Cyclones Hazy!
This Hazy IPA was brewed with Galaxy, Citra, and Mosaic hops - then heavily dry hopped with Vic Secret for sweet flavors of pineapple, passion fruit & citrus! There is no better way to show your ISU pride than with a Cyclones Hazy in hand. Available 9/22 at participating retailers.

View attachment 115806

That can is bringing it. Best art so far.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I hate most of them and the ones that I though were ok I could maybe drink when outside on a hot day but could only have one.
I went through a big IPA phase where that is about the only beer I ever wanted to drink. That changed and almost did a 180 about 2 years ago and I really haven't been into IPAs since. I'll still opt for an IPA if I'm going out to dinner or weekend lunch, but anymore when I drink at home, it is on a hot day and I just want something I can crush. IPAs just don't generally fall into that category, although a hazy might.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
It's starting to become a little strange to me how the AD is all in on alcohol endorsement and fund raising yet no full sales at our venues.
Yeah... kinda hypocritical of Jamie. He also could make a ton of money allowing sales in the stadium

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
tenor.gif

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Yes, and almost exclusively craft beer. I also know how little the general population pays attention to this sort of stuff.
I'm also maybe a little different case because I care deeply about our collective raising money. I'm not a wealthy person, still young in my career, and I've donated 500 since the collective started. I care less about all the different types of beers and more about the fundraising.
Cmon man. Just because you have a different opinion on the best strategy for making money off of beer sales for the collective doesn't mean you care more than most of the others on this site about fund raising. Be better.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I went through a big IPA phase where that is about the only beer I ever wanted to drink. That changed and almost did a 180 about 2 years ago and I really haven't been into IPAs since. I'll still opt for an IPA if I'm going out to dinner or weekend lunch, but anymore when I drink at home, it is on a hot day and I just want something I can crush. IPAs just don't generally fall into that category, although a hazy might.
The hazys ahd juicys were game changers for me. I was getting IPA'd out until those started getting big.

Last edited:

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Yeah... kinda hypocritical of Jamie. He also could make a ton of money allowing sales in the stadium

Not sure I'd call it a "ton" - Iowa made $3 million their first full year of selling at Kinnick. It's not nothing, but peanuts in the athletic dept budget.

And while I agree We Will probably needs the money more, you also can't just expect the athletic dept to stop using new fundraising methods because of that. I think they're being more than generous the way they're promoting We Will through communications to donors. As others have said, Ames Lager will still be the most popular of these beers (and I don't think the university has much to do with the Jack Trice Legend beer).

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Not sure I'd call it a "ton" - Iowa made $3 million their first full year of selling at Kinnick. It's not nothing, but peanuts in the athletic dept budget.

And while I agree We Will probably needs the money more, you also can't just expect the athletic dept to stop using new fundraising methods because of that. I think they're being more than generous the way they're promoting We Will through communications to donors. As others have said, Ames Lager will still be the most popular of these beers (and I don't think the university has much to do with the Jack Trice Legend beer).
Was that $3 million in sales or $3 million in profit?

You have to consider that people may be buying beer instead of water or soda, which could give the same profit margin.