Cyclone Television Network?

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Under Dan Beebe's New Big XII Plan, “Schools would also be able to explore their own distribution platforms, including networks.â€￾

What are the odds of a new Cyclone Television Network (CTN) – 24/7 Cyclones – 70 cents of my current Mediacom bill goes to subsidize the Big Ten.

What are your thoughts on a Cyclone Television Network?
why not create a KU, KSU, UM, ISU network? Bundle the 4 toghether also creates a bit of security in the future.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Cyclone Television Network would be a viable "free" (i.e. included in general service fee) network on a streaming service like Netflix or Roku boxes.

Watch streaming games, on your television, via the proprietary equipment. The costs to deliver are so much less than wrangling broadcast rights, and Netflix would be happy to have something proprietary.

Say it could deliver 50,000 new streaming Netflix customers - @ $10/month for the streaming service (it probably will be more than that), that's a cool million in revenue per month for Netflix even before advertising (which, like the Big Tvn - is simply gravy) kicks in. Production costs could fairly easily be held below a quarter of a million, and puts Netflix on competitive footing in the sports market, especially if they niched off into some of the other popular-but-not-"popular enough" markets like K-State, etc.

The "streaming" revenue that came back to the institutions would be small (Netflix would keep the lion's share, likely paying out a licensing fee, a residual, and keeping all subscriber money and most ad revenue) but we are talking about exposure: every Netflix streaming customer on the planet could potentially see ISU games, whether they wanted to or not!
this model makes a LOT of sense, and is being done in multiple ways...

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
New TV Network

Now before posting this I admit I don't know much about how the TV revenue and new deal work. But this is a situation I think we can exploit for some good cash.

Let Texas and Oklahoma make their own networks. Whatever. The remaining teams in the conference combine to make The Big 12 Network. This would be carried on local cable in Iowa, Kansas, Missoura, Oklahoma, and Texas. The best part of this deal is we would not have to split the money with the two teams who form their own network, yet we get TV sets in their states due to the other conference schools being in that same state.

Texas said somewhere that they can make 3-5 million off of their own network. What if we come out with this and make that much, or more with a combined network splitting the revenue evenly?

Like I said, I don't really know what I'm talking about, so I'm asking you guys..will something like this work?

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
One thing to keep in mind is that any network isn't going to have any conference football games. There are now 5 B12 games and 5 available spots for TV. The only potential football games this network could show would be non-conference games that don't get picked up first.

Either way, I love the idea of a Big 12 North network. Show every olympic sport and the sell the crap out of infomercials.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Cyclone Television Network would be a viable "free" (i.e. included in general service fee) network on a streaming service like Netflix or Roku boxes.

Watch streaming games, on your television, via the proprietary equipment. The costs to deliver are so much less than wrangling broadcast rights, and Netflix would be happy to have something proprietary.

Say it could deliver 50,000 new streaming Netflix customers - @ $10/month for the streaming service (it probably will be more than that), that's a cool million in revenue per month for Netflix even before advertising (which, like the Big Tvn - is simply gravy) kicks in. Production costs could fairly easily be held below a quarter of a million, and puts Netflix on competitive footing in the sports market, especially if they niched off into some of the other popular-but-not-"popular enough" markets like K-State, etc.

The "streaming" revenue that came back to the institutions would be small (Netflix would keep the lion's share, likely paying out a licensing fee, a residual, and keeping all subscriber money and most ad revenue) but we are talking about exposure: every Netflix streaming customer on the planet could potentially see ISU games, whether they wanted to or not!

I was just about to bring up something like this. I am no techie but this internet tv really gets me excited about the possibilities. It could be accessed by anyone nationally rather than being tied to a local cable provider or regional televesion network.

Most new tvs are going to be wifi capable but there are other tv accessorie boxes becoming widely available (Roku, Boxie Box, etc.) that you can stream internet content through your tv. Iowa State could have subscription based service for their content including all kinds of live events. It would be like the Clone Zone but better and on your television.

I would really like to see ISU get in on the ground level of this type of service.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I like the idea of adding high school programming as filler. Doesn't IAHSAA already have a "network" of sorts? Could we combine it into ours?

SPOONER

Apr 16, 2009
This is so true - we can't get enough advertising support for a radio network to cover the state. What makes anyone think a TV network will work?

Stop making sense. When you do that people on this board have trouble comprehending your posts.

This isn't going to happen, folks. We would need a can't make any money doing it. That's just the way it is. Sorry to burst your bubbles.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
I like the idea of adding high school programming as filler. Doesn't IAHSAA already have a "network" of sorts? Could we combine it into ours?

There is a lot of work to do, marketing the Cyclones, even in the state of Iowa. My best radio chance is KMA and they drop Cyclone games to carry high school sports.

PolyCy

Dec 13, 2008
North Des Moines
I don't think anything would ever get on to TV, but I think you expand internet broadcasts and improve the quality.

I agree...if we can't get a tv network then screw it. How about a subscription website, could something like this even be possible considering current media contracts?

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
There is a lot of work to do, marketing the Cyclones, even in the state of Iowa. My best radio chance is KMA and they drop Cyclone games to carry high school sports.

Absolutely. But think about it. By having HS game replays/ Friday Night games of the week, showing volleyball and basketball on weeknights, etc when Iowa State games aren't on, not only do we get our brand out there to Iowans, but think about the high schooler watching their game replay on the Cyclone Television Network. That has to do a little for recruiting at least (I stress little, but every bit helps). And what cable company wouldn't carry the station if it has local stuff too? Cover the MVC, CIML, MAC, WaMAC, Corn Bowl, etc and you've got a small network. Obviously, we'd have to share some profit with IAHSAA/IGHSAU but it's better than no network.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I personally can't see why we couldn't band together with KU/MU/KSU and maybe OSU to put together a network. Maybe T.Boone could fork over the startup money! Play classic games, broadcast some MBB and olympic sports plus coaches shows, etc. Have a studio show on Saturdays with pregame and postgame. Each school could have their own mini studio run mostly by students (who would work for cheap) and the schools could add some content. Something like this could easily sell to Mediacom for $.50 a month and Cyclone fans would make sure it was carried.