Cyclone Television Network?

cysid

Apr 30, 2010
You're focusing too much on FB. Like the big 10 network, i doubt any network created by any b12 school is primarily used on live football. ABC\ESPN\Fox or whoever's paying the big bucks for this new tv deal will have the rights to almost all of that.

LOL at focusing to much on football. The B10 network generates something like 70 percent of thier revenue from football. They generate another 25 percent from BBall and all the other sports combined add up to 5 percent.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
A lot of options you could consider with that-

Cyclone TV network
-air all cyclone stuff
-alternately, add iowa high school stuff to fill airtime, and build demand across the state

How about a regional network? If Texas wants no part in a conference network, what about a few schools putting one together? Us, KU, KSU, MU?

To me, this is easily the most attractive option. A "Big 12 North" network, broadcasting over missouri, kansas, and iowa (or parts of iowa), could potentially be a viable option. Televise football games not otherwise televised, plus basketball games (you'd think advertisers would at least go for the KU games), and the other olympic sports, you'd think they'd be able to fill enough time. Heck, you could even do BTN style shows on each of the four schools during the summer season. Cyclone Fanatic TV anyone? :biggrin:

cysid

Apr 30, 2010
You're focusing too much on FB. Like the big 10 network, i doubt any network created by any b12 school is primarily used on live football. ABC\ESPN\Fox or whoever's paying the big bucks for this new tv deal will have the rights to almost all of that.

Ohh and the B10 network doesn't exactly have 24hrs a day of solid programming. What would they show on the Cyclone Network if not for football?

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
since the hawkeye pomerantz is dead,what is the status of woi.why doesn't iowa state pursue buying out woi again.if branstad gets elected governor,i am certain with branstad,i think we would have a governor in our court.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
To me, this is easily the most attractive option. A "Big 12 North" network, broadcasting over missouri, kansas, and iowa (or parts of iowa), could potentially be a viable option. Televise football games not otherwise televised, plus basketball games (you'd think advertisers would at least go for the KU games), and the other olympic sports, you'd think they'd be able to fill enough time. Heck, you could even do BTN style shows on each of the four schools during the summer season. Cyclone Fanatic TV anyone? :biggrin:

C-Willy becomes the Chip Brown of the Big XII North.... this thing could have legs. :biglaugh:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
What about adding sports to the current ISU channel? Then you could sell it to the rest of the state. You don't have to worry about programming when the sports season is over and you could probably expand the ISU extension abilities.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Time to stop whining and create the Cyclone Television Network

While everything returns to the status quo regarding the Big 12 power structure, one thing has changed for the best in the case of Iowa State - the fact that we can start our own TV network. Here's what I would like to see:

Thanks to the HD conversion a couple years ago, bandwidth has been snatched up in local markets for broadcast stations. I propose that ISU form a partnership with WOI-TV as the provider for the CTN (Cyclone Television Network). WOI is already the home for John "Voice of the Cyclones" Walters so a face for the network would already be established. The network would be responsible for broadcasting games not picked up by regional/national broadcasters and the network would also provide content for a one hour pregame and one hour postgame analysis, while also hosting a coaches show once a week. The Cyclone Television Network would be placed on channel 5.2 in the local Des Moines/Ames market and available for streaming through the WOI-TV web site. Because it is in it's infancy, costs should remain relatively low (still in the millions of dollars) and sponsorship deals could be reached locally and regionally as/if viewership increases for the station to recoup any losses involved.

Hopefully something like this can be established ASAP - as long as we have a local network, it's a step in the right direction and could potentially generate revenue a couple years down the road, in case this happens again.

What are your opinions of this model, or your thoughts of what a Cyclone Television Network should look like?

Edit: Thank you mods for merging

Last edited:

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
I think if you want to make it more viable, you might have to go pay-per-view

Big12Cy

Jan 13, 2008
A Cyclone network may be viable, but it depends on if the fine print says we have to pay a tribute to the Don (Texas) for their protection. :jimlad:

thrillcat

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Yeah, this ain't happening.

Unless, of course, we bring on Stanley Spedowski to do a telethon and sell shares and a homeless guy shows up with a 1962 buffalo nickel worth a ****-ton of money that Jim Delaney gave him thinking it was a quarter.

Welcome to the Cyclone Television Network, brought to you IN COLOR by U62.

We couldn't afford the broadcast license, plus the amounts of staff required to pull this off.

Beefing up cyclones.com is a better goal to strive toward. Plug your computer into your TV and make believe.

G-Rock

Nov 9, 2006
CTN = Mediacom Connections Channel

Having a stand-alone network isn't viable. Mediacom will show some games and coaches shows, just like they do now.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
I would hate to be stuck with a mediacom based network. I think mediacom would really limit the exposure. If you can't get a network on all the major distribution systems you might as well go with an internet streaming network.

berther48

Jul 10, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
I would think this could be an option as well, let TU have their own network, and some type of arrangement between amongst the other schools.

How about a Big 12 North network.:yes:
We all pitch in cover key games against opponents, against the Big 12 South, ranked
non-conference opponents , more women's sports, basketball, volleyball, track and field, softball, Gymnastics, soccer , all good game replays,
Fantastic finishes of past years ,
like last years ISU win over traitor Nebraska,:realmad:
replay of all bowl game we won,
human interest stories about all key athletes.

Base it in KC and feed it to each college Clone Zone Link,
I'd pay a higher clone zone fee for all access to Big 12 North Games and replays.:yes:

It would generate more interest in the smaller North schools,
could be sold to all alumni.
It would help if OU and OSU were added to the north.
Each team would choose a Rival game from the south teams like:notworthy:

Texas vs OU
ISU vs Baylor
Mizzou vs Texas Tec
Kansas State vs A&M
Kansas vs SMU
Okie State vs Houston :jiggy:

That way Texas always plays Oklahoma in the Red River game.:biggrin:

Ok , I'm done.

rdubbs

Feb 12, 2009
Central Iowa
A lot of options you could consider with that-

Cyclone TV network
-air all cyclone stuff
-alternately, add iowa high school stuff to fill airtime, and build demand across the state

How about a regional network? If Texas wants no part in a conference network, what about a few schools putting one together? Us, KU, KSU, MU?

The Iowa High School Sports Network already owns that.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I really dont know how you can make it work. ISU has had trouble keeping a radio station in Des Moines to carry ISU games in the past.

This is so true - we can't get enough advertising support for a radio network to cover the state. What makes anyone think a TV network will work?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Hockey?

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
Cyclone Television Network would be a viable "free" (i.e. included in general service fee) network on a streaming service like Netflix or Roku boxes.

Watch streaming games, on your television, via the proprietary equipment. The costs to deliver are so much less than wrangling broadcast rights, and Netflix would be happy to have something proprietary.

Say it could deliver 50,000 new streaming Netflix customers - @ $10/month for the streaming service (it probably will be more than that), that's a cool million in revenue per month for Netflix even before advertising (which, like the Big Tvn - is simply gravy) kicks in. Production costs could fairly easily be held below a quarter of a million, and puts Netflix on competitive footing in the sports market, especially if they niched off into some of the other popular-but-not-"popular enough" markets like K-State, etc.

The "streaming" revenue that came back to the institutions would be small (Netflix would keep the lion's share, likely paying out a licensing fee, a residual, and keeping all subscriber money and most ad revenue) but we are talking about exposure: every Netflix streaming customer on the planet could potentially see ISU games, whether they wanted to or not!

Last edited: