Cyclones in the pros 2023-2024 (hoops)

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Well, it's almost my favorite season of the year - basketball - and we've had some lively threads discussing Georges, Tyrese, Monte etc. So I wanted to get this year's thread started and I've again labeled it "in the pros" as I've dug up some info that I'll share on Naz and Matt who are playing at a high level overseas. I'm going to various posts on the two of them since the NBA regular season is a ways off but they've started domestic leagues in Europe.

So, for the OP, let's just remind ourselves of where the NBA guys are (the ones that I can think of off the top of my head while caffeine is still kicking in):

Tyrese Haliburton - Indiana Pacers: Signed the largest contract probably of any ex ISU athlete in the off-season. Played some great hoops for Team USA in the World Cup this summer.

Georges Niang - Cleveland Cavaliers: After AGAIN shooting 40% from beyond the arc, he signed a 3-year, $26-million contract.

Monte Morris - Detroit Pistons: Traded to an up-and-coming squad. I'm not sure if he's looking at a starting role or if they'll bring him off the bench.

Talen Horton-Tucker - Utah Jazz: Kind of yo-yo'd between out of the rotation and starting some games last year for the surprising Jazz. His offensive production - specifically, his outside shooting - has been inconsistent.

Lindell Wigginton - Milwaukee Bucks: Perhaps this should say "Milwaukee Bucks" because I don't know that he has an NBA contract. He spent the entire G-League season playing for the Bucks' affiliate ("Herd") and got a cup of coffee in the NBA at the end of the season in Milwaukee. The Bucks have brought in Dame Lillard and signed ex Prohm-an centurion, Cam Payne, so the small guard minutes are, well, taken.

Deonte Burton - Sacramento Kings. He got in 2 games last year for the Kings and is back in there camp. Might end up being a G League season for the Human Highlight Reel.

Am I missing anyone?

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
So, Matt Thomas didn't get picked up by an NBA squad last year so he was a mid-season signing for Panathinaikos of Athens in January. It was odd because he wasn't eligible for their Greek league games, just the (international) EuroLeague games. He ended up playing about 10 games.

This season, he signed with ALBA Berlin, a terrific club that plays in the terrific Mercedes Benz Arena and has a very passionate fan base. ALBA qualified for the EuroLeague (sort of the equivalent of the UEFA Champions League but for hoops). When he was with Valencia Basket, I believe they defeated ALBA in the finals of the EuroCup (the 2nd tier of international competitions in Europe, below the EuroLeague). Maybe he made an impression.

Matt is fun to watch in Euro hoops because he shoots a lot more on the move than in the NBA where he had to do a lot of waiting at the arc.

The German League has started and ALBA is 2-0 and Matt is averaging 18.5 PPG so far (that probably will drop) and a cool 70% from 3PT. The EuroLeague season hasn't started yet; that's a 34-game (18 teams) round robin and is the best competition outside of the NBA. The German league has gotten much better in the last 20 years; keep in mind that they just won the world cup.

Interview with Matt including work-out facilities and shots of training:

Highlights - 15 pts in a pre-season game vs. Hamburg:

I love to watch that boy shoot.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Well, it's almost my favorite season of the year - basketball - and we've had some lively threads discussing Georges, Tyrese, Monte etc. So I wanted to get this year's thread started and I've again labeled it "in the pros" as I've dug up some info that I'll share on Naz and Matt who are playing at a high level overseas. I'm going to various posts on the two of them since the NBA regular season is a ways off but they've started domestic leagues in Europe.

So, for the OP, let's just remind ourselves of where the NBA guys are (the ones that I can think of off the top of my head while caffeine is still kicking in):

Tyrese Haliburton - Indiana Pacers: Signed the largest contract probably of any ex ISU athlete in the off-season. Played some great hoops for Team USA in the World Cup this summer.

Georges Niang - Cleveland Cavaliers: After AGAIN shooting 40% from beyond the arc, he signed a 3-year, $26-million contract.

Monte Morris - Detroit Pistons: Traded to an up-and-coming squad. I'm not sure if he's looking at a starting role or if they'll bring him off the bench.

Talen Horton-Tucker - Utah Jazz: Kind of yo-yo'd between out of the rotation and starting some games last year for the surprising Jazz. His offensive production - specifically, his outside shooting - has been inconsistent.

Lindell Wigginton - Milwaukee Bucks: Perhaps this should say "Milwaukee Bucks" because I don't know that he has an NBA contract. He spent the entire G-League season playing for the Bucks' affiliate ("Herd") and got a cup of coffee in the NBA at the end of the season in Milwaukee. The Bucks have brought in Dame Lillard and signed ex Prohm-an centurion, Cam Payne, so the small guard minutes are, well, taken.

Deonte Burton - Sacramento Kings. He got in 2 games last year for the Kings and is back in there camp. Might end up being a G League season for the Human Highlight Reel.

Am I missing anyone?
Is Conditt still with Portland? I know he signed an Exhibit 10 deal with them...

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Naz Mitrou-Long played in 2022-2023 in Milan (Olimpia Milano) for in both the Italian leage and EuroLeague. It doesn't appear to have been a raging success, as he averaged a bit under 8 points in both competitions and is not going back for the 2nd year of what had been termed a 2-year contract.

So 3sus is in Lithuania this year, plying his trade for Žalgiris Kaunas which plays in its domestic leage AND the EuroLeague (I hope I can watch when Naz is taking on Matt). They're 3-0 so far in league play and Naz does not appear to be starting. He's averaging 7 ppg in about 19 minutes per game.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Is Conditt still with Portland? I know he signed an Exhibit 10 deal with them...
That's a good catch. I hadn't seen that. It doesn't look like he's been released and the Woj Bomb on his signing implies that he could end up with their G League affiliate. Great news for George. With the Dame trade, that roster is in a serious state of flux; maybe there will be more opportunities in this rebuild mode.

1696431691332.png

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Abdel Nader doesn't seem to be on any roster; has anybody heard anything about him? He was a rotational player for the Suns the season-before-last and didn't latch on with anyone last year, which I don't understand. He has proved that he can be effective for stretches in the NBA as a 3-and-D guy (and one who can attack the rim). I would have thought that someone would've grabbed him as insurance last year - or at least stuck him on their G League team - because guys that can play perimter D of his size in the NBA are in demand. I'm not saying the guy is a playoff-level starter but has had rotational minutes in the playoffs and could be an affordable end-of-the-bench guy, in case of injuries.

I thought that he'd have played for Egypt in the World Cup this summer - his Wiki page indicates that this was the plan - which would've been a good showcase for him. Perhaps some injury got in the way? I can only speculate.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Izaiah Brockington, ISU's first signing from our St. Bonaventure farm club (ok, via Penn State), had a 2-way contract for all of 12 days last year with the New Orleans Pelicans in preseason. He didn't have a team until he was signed at the end of the G League season where he played 2 games for Birmingham, the Pelicans' affiliate. He played in the Summer League on New Orleans' team but does not seem to be on their training camp roster.

So, I'm guessing he's not currently employed. Maybe he can get a full G League season this year.

I would imagine that NBA teams don't see him as a 3-point shooter (although I checked his stats from his season in Ames and he did hit 36% from 3PT). He certainly has the athleticism and can defend guys who are larger.

Any of you know anything about his currrent status?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Izaiah Brockington, ISU's first signing from our St. Bonaventure farm club (ok, via Penn State), had a 2-way contract for all of 12 days last year with the New Orleans Pelicans in preseason. He didn't have a team until he was signed at the end of the G League season where he played 2 games for Birmingham, the Pelicans' affiliate. He played in the Summer League on New Orleans' team but does not seem to be on their training camp roster.

So, I'm guessing he's not currently employed. Maybe he can get a full G League season this year.

I would imagine that NBA teams don't see him as a 3-point shooter (although I checked his stats from his season in Ames and he did hit 36% from 3PT). He certainly has the athleticism and can defend guys who are larger.

Any of you know anything about his currrent status?
Not sure on Izaiah. Guys like him, Matt Thomas, Naz, Abdel, and Mariyal Shayok really dropped off the face of the earth last year after all enjoying some NBA cups of coffee. Burton was in that category too until coming out of nowhere seemingly to sign a 10-day contract with Sacramento. Matt struggled his most recent go around so I was not super surprised to see him not find a new NBA home. Same with Naz. Shayok I know was playing on the national team for South Sudan in the FIBA World Cup.

Thanks for the update on Naz btw! One of my all time favorite clones

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Not sure how many Cyclone fans have ever read this article, but it sounds like Craig Brackins either has retired or plans to retire playing in Japan. Article is a long form interview with Brackins and he outlines the unfortunate ugly side of the NBA - the business side. He got some bad shakes. Things I never knew about really, but I did always kind of wonder why someone with his skill set didn't work out in the NBA, when it seemed like they love exactly the type of player he was/is.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Not sure how many Cyclone fans have ever read this article, but it sounds like Craig Brackins either has retired or plans to retire playing in Japan. Article is a long form interview with Brackins and he outlines the unfortunate ugly side of the NBA - the business side. He got some bad shakes. Things I never knew about really, but I did always kind of wonder why someone with his skill set didn't work out in the NBA, when it seemed like they love exactly the type of player he was/is.

Awesome that you posted that article. He was off my radar, for sure. I look forward to reading that.

Nowadays guys like Brackins don't have a spot in the NBA -- 5s have to be lob/dunker/rim protectors and 4s have to be able to stretch the D from the arc (See Niang, Georges).

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Awesome that you posted that article. He was off my radar, for sure. I look forward to reading that.

Nowadays guys like Brackins don't have a spot in the NBA -- 5s have to be lob/dunker/rim protectors and 4s have to be able to stretch the D from the arc (See Niang, Georges).
I agree the game has changed a bit since 2010. Guys like him were at a premium then though, I am surprised he didn't stick longer. He always struck me as Kevin Durant light. Just wrong place wrong time. I won't spoil the whole article, but he mentions getting drafted by OKC and then traded right away to New Orleans where the whole coaching staff and front office gets fired between summer league and the regular season, so the staff that wanted him was suddenly gone. He arrives to New Orleans and doesn't know any of the new staff, players, front office etc. So he gets traded again to Philly, who at the time was a competitive, playoff aspiration type of team that didn't really need him. He goes an about not having the right mentality, was probably too nice at times, and lacked assertiveness. Was hoping that hard work would be enough to help him 'make it' but it just wasn't due to the ugly business side of everything. Honestly a lot of truth in what he says that apply to many other industries.

Last edited:

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Abdel Nader doesn't seem to be on any roster; has anybody heard anything about him? He was a rotational player for the Suns the season-before-last and didn't latch on with anyone last year, which I don't understand. He has proved that he can be effective for stretches in the NBA as a 3-and-D guy (and one who can attack the rim). I would have thought that someone would've grabbed him as insurance last year - or at least stuck him on their G League team - because guys that can play perimter D of his size in the NBA are in demand. I'm not saying the guy is a playoff-level starter but has had rotational minutes in the playoffs and could be an affordable end-of-the-bench guy, in case of injuries.

I thought that he'd have played for Egypt in the World Cup this summer - his Wiki page indicates that this was the plan - which would've been a good showcase for him. Perhaps some injury got in the way? I can only speculate.
I don't know what's up with his current status, but in his two years with the Suns, he dealt with a lot of injury issues. He only played 38 regular season games over the two seasons, mostly because of injuries rather than DNP-coach's decision. I assume he's either continued to deal with injuries or that his series of injuries slowed him down enough to decrease his NBA value a fair amount.

• Agree

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Osun Osunniyi signed with Limburg United (well, with the sponsor's name Hobo Limburg United) in Belgium, as reported by Cyclone Fanatic. He played with the Wizards' summer league team.

Eurobasket.com has him on Limburg's roster and as a projected starter. They have not started their season at this point.

Reactions: NWICY

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I love this intro to a Georges Niang interview in Cleveland (short, 4-minute interview):

CLEVELAND — One man who seems like he’d be your best friend but also plays for the Cavaliers? Yeah, that would be newcomer Georges Niang.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Well the Babb brothers are not in Dallas, slinging BBQ with their dad, as of yet.

Chris Babb, along with a cup of joe in the NBA, has had a long and consistent career overseas. This season, he's with Bnei Herzliya of the Israeli League. Eurobasket lists him as a starter at small forward. The Israeli League has not started but they've beat the other two teams in their group in Europe Cup (3rd tier international competition) so they look to advance to the next stage. This is his 2nd year with the same club, something that's not so common.

Nick Weiler-Babb might be playing for the best team of all the overseas guys. He's in his 3rd season with Bayern Munich. He missed a lot of last season due to injury but they won the German championship and Nick was named the playoff MVP. He'll be guarding Matty Ice in both German and EuroLeague games.

So, apparently, Nick got German citizenship through his heritage (I'm guessing the Weiler side) and played for the German national team at Eurobasket 2022. How did I miss that??

Bayern Munich has started out 1-1 so far and, in spite of significant minutes, Nick has scored a blazing TWO points in those two contests. In his first EuroLeague game of the season TODAY, Nick's Bayern beat Matty Ice's ALBA by 12; both started (8 PT for Nick, 11 for Matt).

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Nick Weiler-Babb in today's opening game of the Euroleague regular season, showing better range than when he was in Ames:

They beat Matt Thomas' squad, as noted above.

Reactions: NWICY