CyHawk Hot Takes

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Without a doubt, be sure to witness the phony Hok virtue signaling after the end of the first quarter. They will all stand up and start waving in various directions. “Look at me, look at me! I really care about the kids!”

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
Cade does his best impression of Austen Arnaud (we all have bad days) and throws 3+ ints after getting "the yips" from Laranja Grande and Bacon taking over on the defensive side.

At one point it appears McNamara feigns injury in order to "gracefully" exit the contest, his wounded departure is met with thunderous applause from the Hawk "faithful" (and not the "glad he isn’t hurt" applause).

Somehow Iowa D/ST play keeps the contest close at 14-10 closing in on the 4th until Tory Taylor and spicy pepper coach try a trick play which is STUFFED; giving the Cyclones a short field, which they capitalize upon. The ensuing kickoff is muffed by the Iowa return man and recovered by Iowa State inside the 10 for another easy score.

After forcing a quick 3&Out, Iowa State tacks on yet another TD. Capping off a "breaking of the will" drive, which consumes more than 8:00 from the clock. The Iowa 2-minute offense under the guidance of the 2nd string QB (Cade's ego is injured more than anything at this point) scores a FG (they NEED the points for Lil Freerentz) as the game clock expires, giving the Hawkeye fans optimisum that a switch at QB is their ticket to "glory" (it's actually the B1GW schedule).

35-13. The CyHawk trophy remains at home in Ames, for another season.

:jimlad:

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Hawkeye band can't get into Jack Trice because they are still using screen shots.

On a serious note...are they even coming this year?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have a not so Hot Take but it still is weird:

Haydenism is generational and alive and well.

Last Saturday I was at the CR Best Buy and when checking out the cashier, who couldn't have been older than 25, made some comment about my ISU shirt, something like 'You're wearing the wrong shirt today'.

I didn't say anything just to stay out of such a weird petty bullying saga.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have a not so Hot Take but it still is weird:

Haydenism is generational and alive and well.

Last Saturday I was at the CR Best Buy and when checking out the cashier, who couldn't have been older than 25, made some comment about my ISU shirt, something like 'You're wearing the wrong shirt today'.

I didn't say anything just to stay out of such a weird petty bullying saga.
Should of said, "You are probably right. I should have worn my **** Iowa shirt."

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
The only thing I'd put a bet on is neither team scoring more than 24 sans an overtime game.

ISU has also never had, at least on paper, a more impactful change from year to year than the special teams difference from last year (and year's past) to this year. We literally lost 2-3 games in Campbell's tenure due to the difference in special teams performance. If we get anything remotely close (by that I mean a solid, if unspectacular performance) to last week, it's a minimum of a +100 in field position from last year, probably a +200 from two years ago.

I'm not sure many fans put this into that kind of perspective (they simply think "special teams are better...that will help!"). Assuming it holds up that's a huge advantage for us and one most stats simply wouldn't be able to quantify.

I think there are 2-3 things that could foil it for us. If our offensive line is complete ******* trash (which it could) that will be a problem. I'm also leery that Iowa could really exploit our young LB core with delayed TE drags or misdirection plays, getting them to flow one way then exploiting the void. The other is turnovers/penalties.

Quite frankly I don't think Ferentz is smart enough to alter his offense enough to exploit anything. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Help Support Us

Become a patron