Cytown Update

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I'm not doubting him, but 800 patients a day seems like a huge number, especially for a clinic that would fit in CyTown. I haven't been to McFarland clinic in probably 20 years (used to go there for allergies/asthma), but I would have guessed 800 is more than their primary location. Again, not doubting him, just surprised.
The original McFarland location has expanded a lot in the last 20 years.

Reactions: Jer and Angie

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Are tired, old McFarland, newer Mary Greeley, middle age Medical Arts Building, numerous pop-up outreach clinics what you mean?

I imagine building, financing, whatever a new CYTown clinic is easier than giving the Ames main McFarland Clinic a refresh.
Yes exactly. They expanded the clinic to the north/northwest of the current location, plus the Medical Arts building, plus the west Ames location, plus the south Ames location...

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Well now that we know they'll be in that spot I'm excited to see renderings of their building. Hopefully it's not and big so it's at least cool to look at on gamedays since it's in a prime spot.

Amac12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 21, 2020
Yes exactly. They expanded the clinic to the north/northwest of the current location, plus the Medical Arts building, plus the west Ames location, plus the south Ames location...
And all of them are crazy busy. We moved back to Ames 1 1/2 years ago and live 3 blocks from the south location and none of the doctors were taking new patients. Ended up with a NP at the north satellite location.

CloneSt8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 1, 2011
I only have one word: Stupid. State Universities do not need to develop every square inch so they can make profits for developers. What is next, a Menards and Wataburger next to the Campanile on central campus?
As Foghorn Leghorn would say "Pay attention, boy!" The Cytown concept is not being developed to make profits for developers!! (It may but that is not its purpose).

It is a way to generate money for the athletic department that controls the Iowa State Center for needed maintenance and improvements to the Iowa State Center!! When the Iowa State Center was developed (without public funds) there evidentally was no plan for paying for long term maintenance.

Everyone complains about the deteriorating condition of CY Stevens but no one had a plan on how to pay for improvements!

The Cytown concept is a way to capture those needed dollars fot that maintenance and improvements by capitalizing on an asset (land) while at the same time retaining the same number of parking spaces there were before!

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
For example: The Hobby Lobby on Jordan Creek in West Des Moines has averaged 968.3 people per day in 2023 (thru August 31)

Is the .3 of a person a little person or child, or someone entering or exiting the store and only partway there?

I demand an answer...

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I’m incredibly happy with the new parking situation. Very much like arrowhead

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Who the **** wants to go there if it isn’t a game day? Seems like a huge gamble to make a destination resort rather than an entertainment district.

It’s been almost 5 years since ESPN shuttered the Zone business, so I guess the VC ownership decided this would be a good way to extract even more cash as they pillage the brand.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Who the **** wants to go there if it isn’t a game day? Seems like a huge gamble to make a destination resort rather than an entertainment district.
They're crazy about football down there, any reason to do Alabama football adjacent stuff they would do. I don't think a water park is crazy, people love water parks no matter where it is.