Cytown Update

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Ames residents speaking out against it.

As much as I love Ames, their sure are a lot of Karens and Debbie Downers that live there.

Cant read the article, behind paywall, so I am just going by other similar articles, and the headline.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Ames residents speaking out against it.

From another Trib letter to the editor: Stephen Ringlee is retired president of the Ames school board under whose supervision the first steps to build the new Ames Middle School were taken.

And then there's this gem:
"Federal officials awarded $112 million to fund new Obamacare health insurance cooperatives in Iowa and Nebraska to a group whose politically connected chief financial officer recorded at least three business flops since 2009.

CoOportunity Health, an Ames, Iowa, group founded by CFO Stephen Ringlee, received the federal funds as a tax-free loan from the Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services."

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
I lived in a small town in SE Georgia for a couple years. They had a successful lawnmower factory they forced to relocate. Several other job creating projects and industrial expansions they blocked. They waited for the local unemployment rate to skyrocket, then they ramrodded a new nuclear medical waste incineration factory as a job creation project. The entire county had 16,000 people. Blacks lived on one side of town with tin roofs and dirt roads, whites lived on the other side of town with paved roads and brick houses. I couldn't wait to transfer out of there. The factory I worked at was 90% black production workers, 100% white office workers. Black cops arrested whites only, white cops arrested blacks only. They also had moonshiners and the Klan. Lots of underworld drug trafficers also. It was on the Miami-NYC pipeline. One guy wanted to buy my wife.
Was this posted in the correct thread?

Actually, was this posted on the correct website?

CysLoveChild

Dec 8, 2011
Ames, IA
And then there's this gem:
"Federal officials awarded $112 million to fund new Obamacare health insurance cooperatives in Iowa and Nebraska to a group whose politically connected chief financial officer recorded at least three business flops since 2009.

CoOportunity Health, an Ames, Iowa, group founded by CFO Stephen Ringlee, received the federal funds as a tax-free loan from the Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services."

I googled this guy after reading the article he wrote and found this article about Ringlee and company receiving $112 Million and flopping businesses, and was excited to post it here.....you beat me to it!

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
My dad always says Ames townfolk were like that when he was in school in the 70's. I'm sure his dad said the same thing in the 40's. Some things never change :rolleyes:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I lived and worked in Ames for 5 years after college and this sect of people drove me crazy. They want all of the amenities of being a university town, but they'd rather have all of the students and the university tucked out of sight. They want to have stuff to do, but would rather not expand or have something new at all. Just anti-progress and wanting the town to stay like it was in the 60's.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It's comical how the anti-CyTown crowd is all worked up about the "city's interest" in the ISC, given this line in the city's own staff report:

"It is City staff's belief that the Iowa State Center buildings are an asset to the entire Ames community, towards which no City investment has been previously made."

That's 55 years of the City not giving two *****.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
My dad always says Ames townfolk were like that when he was in school in the 70's. I'm sure his dad said the same thing in the 40's. Some things never change :rolleyes:
There is a very strong NIMBY contingent who, coincidentally, believe that the entire town is their backyard. That said, the current city council has been (for Ames, at least) very pro-growth. I’d be surprised if they let the blue-hairs deter this.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I was at ISU in the early 2000s and remember the Ames residents all up in arms about a new mall that was successfully quashed. Doesn't sound like much has changed.

JK4ISU

Dec 5, 2022
Ames
There is a very strong NIMBY contingent who, coincidentally, believe that the entire town is their backyard. That said, the current city council has been (for Ames, at least) very pro-growth. I’d be surprised if they let the blue-hairs deter this.
I think it is too far along to stop now. I think it is less likely that “blue hairs” are opposed and more likely to be developers and competitors. There are several blocks on the north side of Lincoln Way and south of downtown that have been cleared to develop a hotel, retail complex that has made no progress for years. The first excuse was COVID. The second excuse was input cost and interest rates. I imagine CYtown has killed it.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I was at ISU in the early 2000s and remember the Ames residents all up in arms about a new mall that was successfully quashed. Doesn't sound like much has changed.
Main Street businesses coalesced in opposition to that. A lot of the old money in town was very opposed to a new mall deterring people from the overpriced shops on Main Street. I have nothing against them specifically, but they definitely placed their interests above the interests of the community.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
We already have one half empty mall, that’s plenty.
My biggest complaint is that No New Mall crowd made such big promises for the existing mall and it’s basically been a ghost town ever since they got their way…
Even if traditional shopping and malls have died off, that new mall would have helped get people to stop in Ames (even if it was on the edge of town) and even bring some of them into town. Hell, we may even have an Olive Garden out east of 35…

• Haha
Reactions: cycloneG