Dalvin Cook = Whiny Baby

srjclone2.0

Dec 21, 2022
As a Vikes fan I loved Dalvin, and his want to be The Guy was what made him so great. But it was obvious starting last year that he was losing some of his shine. Missing holes, doesn't have the same burst and breakaway speed, etc. He is still serviceable, but will never be getting top-RB money again. If he realizes that, he can be a great RB2 for the next 3-4 years but bouncing around the league asking for more carries may not be the best strategy.

I feel like being Breece Hall's backup would be great, defense is ready to take a break when he comes out of the game lol

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I'm not saying his response was ideal, but I've seen far whinier players.

He was asked directly about trade rumors. Most players would have replied in a similar way. A few would have replied in an incredible way and few would have been complete jackasses. Felt like Cook fell in that huge middle ground.

A few weeks ago Breece himself had quotes that were far more whiny.

I think it was after the Dallas game. "I only had four touches, that's why we struggled." Also said he & other backs could have done more to make the most of their opportunities. "We got down early and kind of abandoned the run."
Yeah I get it, and it probably was out of context. 4 carries for Breece is insane though, even on a pitch count. It's like the Packers, they don't know how to use their best player in Aaron Jones. Get your best player the ball and good things likely happen.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I actually watched more NFL as a kid and teen than I do now, and I remember Emmitt Smith just kept grinding up yards way into his 30s for what seemed like forever...but I wonder if that was a product of the times rather than some elite durability he had.
Obviously there are outlier players. Usage/age/scheme/OL/past injuries factors into it all. Aaron Jones seems to be holding up in age fine, but he also did have a hammy injury and is not thee primary runner or is in a committee. Conner is getting up there in age. Data shows Henry is on the decline too. I'm sure turf can probably affect these running backs too. I'd be curious to how age stacks up 15-20 years ago versus now as how running backs were used a little more and differently back then.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Nothing I read in that article sounded whiney to me. Has he said other things? This is a nothing burger that happens every year in every sport.
Some other quotes from him that aren't in that particular article:

"But I wasn't thinking of a percentage of him [Hall] getting the ball or me getting the ball. I wasn't thinking like that. I just thought ... the touches will get spread around."

"If you watch my career, you know the type of back I am. I get better and better as the game goes. More touches, feeling the defense out. The more touches I get, the better I get as the game goes."

Cook later said he believes he's the same running back he was when he was posting four straight 1,000-yard seasons with the Vikings, then asked a reporter what was different. The reporter answered "less touches," to which Cook responded "That's it."

Couple that with the fact the team made it clear to him before he came that he may have a diminished role and it seems like BS for him to take this to the media. Plus his assertion that he got better as the game went along isnt even true.

If you think its a nothingburger that's fine. It probably is for the most part. I just find it annoying and it involves a former ISU athlete.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I'm not saying his response was ideal, but I've seen far whinier players.

He was asked directly about trade rumors. Most players would have replied in a similar way. A few would have replied in an incredible way and few would have been complete jackasses. Felt like Cook fell in that huge middle ground.

A few weeks ago Breece himself had quotes that were far more whiny.

I think it was after the Dallas game. "I only had four touches, that's why we struggled." Also said he & other backs could have done more to make the most of their opportunities. "We got down early and kind of abandoned the run."
Yeah, I think the headline of the article overstated what he actually said.

• Agree
Reactions: RoseClone

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I don’t blame him, the Jets went from a dream spot to a nightmare with Breece being healthy and Rodgers being injured. I’m sure the Jets would be fine with a trade too, if there’s anyone interested.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I actually watched more NFL as a kid and teen than I do now, and I remember Emmitt Smith just kept grinding up yards way into his 30s for what seemed like forever...but I wonder if that was a product of the times rather than some elite durability he had.
Those Cowboys teams had great lines to run behind, which made it a lot easier for Smith, then what the Jets currently have.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Yeah I get it, and it probably was out of context. 4 carries for Breece is insane though, even on a pitch count. It's like the Packers, they don't know how to use their best player in Aaron Jones. Get your best player the ball and good things likely happen.

Oh, I'm not criticizing Breece at all. I wouldn't even say his quotes were being a bad teammate.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Oh, I'm not criticizing Breece at all. I wouldn't even say his quotes were being a bad teammate.
Right, I didn't take it as you were. I just think Breece is more like the guy who says, hey I want to help my team out and 4 carries isn't going to do that. Let me get to work, for the team, not for himself. He never seemed like the player who was about himself at ISU, of more like, I know my abilities, I can help the team win. Which, maybe many are like that, but it's how they convey it that may sound selfish for their own gain.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Right, I didn't take it as you were. I just think Breece is more like the guy who says, hey I want to help my team out and 4 carries isn't going to do that. Let me get to work, for the team, not for himself. He never seemed like the player who was about himself at ISU, of more like, I know my abilities, I can help the team win. Which, maybe many are like that, but it's how they convey it that may sound selfish for their own gain.

They probably have some room to talk this week after the coaches put 5 wide and had Wilson throw on 3rd and 1 rather than using their two very capable RBs.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
They probably have some room to talk this week after the coaches put 5 wide and had Wilson throw on 3rd and 1 rather than using their two very capable RBs.
It's kind of like the Seahawks in the super bowl versus the Patriots. You're on the goal line and you have Marshawn Lynch, and you throw the ball? I saw the Lynch interview where he said after those plays he went back to Carroll and just smacked him on the ass and let out a big HAAAA as in you effed up big time man and walked into the locker room before the game was over.