Dan Winters leaving WHO

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Posted on his LinkedIn, doesn't appear to be going to another TV station but something else entirely.

One of the few ISU guys on Local TV

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
He's staying in central Iowa, just leaving to spend time with his family.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
He's great at the news, I just can't stand his smile throughout the entire newscast. He and Erin seem like they have constant smiles glued on their faces, even in depressing stories.

Being said, I've never had a personal issue with him and he's always seemed genuine.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
A lotta people over the years in DSM have left "early."
Hell I still see Heidi Soliday out and about.
Jason Parkin is in finance now in WDM.

Fodor just retired too.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006

Fodor just retired too.
Sure some of them made pretty good money but if you have a family those work hours have to be tough.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

Fodor just retired too.
As of June 1.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA

Fodor just retired too.
There have been a lot of local news/weather people that left the profession due to the schedule. I don't blame them for wanting "normal" working hours

Just to name a few:
Andy Garman - even though he had Herky at his wedding, he frequently stuck up for Iowa State on twitter.
Brooke Bouma
Metinka Slater

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
oh wow who replaces him. will randy fales finally get his big shot?
Yeah have to wonder if Fales is going from working early to working late. He's got young kids too so probably wouldn't be great family schedule wise but would probably be a pretty good pay raise. Just from hearing him on the radio show it sounds like he is getting tired of getting up at like 2 am every day.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Going to be interesting to see who they replace him with because they don't have a lot of quality in house options right now. Andy Fales probably is the best male anchor they have after Dan but he too has a young family so I dunno if he wants to do from mornings to nights? After that I don't see Dave Price or Justin Surrency as that great of options and the other guys are all pretty new and green and more suited for reporting like Zach Fisher and Taj Simmons and wouldn't move the needle.

They could go 2 female anchors with the night newscasts as Jodi Long, Jannay Towne, or Megan Reuther would be decent options otherwise they might be looking for outside candidates. Maybe look at bringing in John Bachman's son but he's in Jacksonville, FL so not that Des Moines would be a logical jump.

Reactions: khardbored

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
Yeah have to wonder if Fales is going from working early to working late. He's got young kids too so probably wouldn't be great family schedule wise but would probably be a pretty good pay raise. Just from hearing him on the radio show it sounds like he is getting tired of getting up at like 2 am every day.
and then how does that affect the radio show if he has to be at work during it.

edit: i guess it's obviously something you would give the radio show up for.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Going to be interesting to see who they replace him with because they don't have a lot of quality in house options right now. Andy Fales probably is the best male anchor they have after Dan but he too has a young family so I dunno if he wants to do from mornings to nights? After that I don't see Dave Price or Justin Surrency as that great of options and the other guys are all pretty new and green and more suited for reporting like Zach Fisher and Taj Simmons and wouldn't move the needle.

They could go 2 female anchors with the night newscasts as Jodi Long, Jannay Towne, or Megan Reuther would be decent options otherwise they might be looking for outside candidates. Maybe look at bringing in John Bachman's son but he's in Jacksonville, FL so not that Des Moines would be a logical jump.
The women you just listed are more than qualified. Jodi Long is my favorite, personally.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Not sure. Does Winters do the 6 & 10 or is there another show even before that? If he just does those 2 then maybe Andy can get to the office after the radio show at 3 pm? Not sure how early Dan & Erin get there? Maybe with the likely increased tv salary Andy would just quit the radio show.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines

I like Justin Surrency on the weekends. I'd be in favor of him getting called up.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

edit: i guess it's obviously something you would give the radio show up for.

Keith does it. It's also moved up to be from 1-3 so more time to get to the news.

Reactions: khardbored