Darian DeVries

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'd rather have Smith or DeVries, but that's still an improvement over Prohm regardless.

Another point for DeVries is, at least to start off, he'd likely be the cheapest by far.

I agree. I don’t want TJ. I want a break from the McDermott hoiberg prohm era. But it will be TJ.

Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

cincinnaticyclone

Nov 29, 2016
“DeVries has been an assistant coach at Creighton since 2001, and he was a student manager 1998-2001. Since then, the Blue Jays have reached the postseason in 19 of his 20 seasons, including 12 NCAA Tournament berths. Last year, Creighton went 21-12 and lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to Kansas State.

DeVries played his college basketball at Northern Iowa, starting for four years and scoring 1,084 points in his career.” Des Moines Register, back in 2018 when DeVries was hired. Since being hired, he won the Missouri Valley regular season in his first year, and in his third (and current year) he literally has not lost a game.

He has significant ties to the state of Iowa and an incredible resume. Would likely be a cheap hire that could be signed long-term. If we get him this year, the best basketball player in the state of Iowa comes with him. Someone give me a reason why he SHOULD NOT be the hire.

Last edited:

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
“DeVries has been an assistant coach at Creighton since 2001, and he was a student manager 1998-2001. Since then, the Blue Jays have reached the postseason in 19 of his 20 seasons, including 12 NCAA Tournament berths. Last year, Creighton went 21-12 and lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to Kansas State.

DeVries played his college basketball at Northern Iowa, starting for four years and scoring 1,084 points in his career.” Des Moines Register, back in 2018 when DeVries was hired. Since being hired, he won the Missouri Valley regular season in his first year, and in his second (and current year) he literally has not lost a game.

He has significant ties to the state of Iowa and an incredible resume. Would likely be a cheap hire that could be signed long-term. If we get him this year, the best basketball player in the state of Iowa comes with him. Someone give me a reason why he SHOULD NOT be the hire.
Your post is spot on, and he is not 15-0 because Drake has more talent than the teams they are playing. The guy obviously knows how to coach.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Would devries even come? I mean He will have his choice of where to go after this year. Iowa state is not a good job right now.

Reactions: CYchopath06

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I don't understand this thought of Devries being budget friendly. When a coach is hot their price tag goes up because they get the choose the job they want.

The reason why we could get him at a lower cost is he is an Iowa guy. From our state. That’s the reason it would be a little lower cost. Maybe he don’t want to move away from the Midwest

cincinnaticyclone

Nov 29, 2016
Would devries even come? I mean He will have his choice of where to go after this year. Iowa state is not a good job right now.
It’s a higher paying job with much better facilities, recruiting, national exposure, and all the other perks of a power 5 job with the added benefit that we’re the largest university in his home state, a 40 minute drive away from his current job. In addition, there are going to be a lot fewer coaching vacancies this year. I’d say yes.

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar