David Montgomery to the Lions

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
I'm a little surprised that they didn't bring him back. He had a monster year getting into the end zone, and I thought he was a fan favorite. A little bit of a different cat, from what I understand, but he definitely was productive for them.
What do you mean by a different cat?

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I'm a little surprised that they didn't bring him back. He had a monster year getting into the end zone, and I thought he was a fan favorite. A little bit of a different cat, from what I understand, but he definitely was productive for them.
They probably had to pay him. They are too busy building Beartown to worry about the piddly players.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
They probably had to pay him. They are too busy building Beartown to worry about the piddly players.
I think he was referring to Williams. I love David and was thrilled when my favorite team drafted him, but unless you're a top 5 type of RB then I think its usually better to draft a RB on day 2 or 3 of the draft and spend the $ elsewhere.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I think he was referring to Williams. I love David and was thrilled when my favorite team drafted him, but unless you're a top 5 type of RB then I think its usually better to draft a RB on day 2 or 3 of the draft and spend the $ elsewhere.
Yeah Jamaal Williams is the one I was referring to. From what I understand he's got a very big and unique personality. Not in a bad way at all. Just not what you think of when you think of a typical pro football player. He's made reference a few times to coaches just needing to "let me be me", which I thought is what he'd found in Detroit, but I guess it didn't last.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Yeah Jamaal Williams is the one I was referring to. From what I understand he's got a very big and unique personality. Not in a bad way at all. Just not what you think of when you think of a typical pro football player. He's made reference a few times to coaches just needing to "let me be me", which I thought is what he'd found in Detroit, but I guess it didn't last.
Yeah he was great this year, so its a bit strange the Lions aren't going to keep him (assuming that's what will happen). He'll probably get more money than Montgomery is getting, so maybe the Lions think they can spend the difference elsewhere and get better. David Montgomery just seems like a Dan Campbell type of player.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Bears are going to regret that.

It still makes me scratch my head the way that the NFL has devalued running backs.. Montgomery will likely have 3 times as many touches as Lazard but make less money

As a Bears fan I've decided they don't regret anything they do since they don't seem to pay any attention to how things have gone.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Is DM's money up front?

That's all that matters at this point in his career.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I like this move for Montgomery. The Lions offense looked good down the stretch last year. The coaching staff uses a run oriented scheme, at least as much as you'll see in the NFL. He'll get the touches and some exposure.

Apparently the Lions led the league in rushing TDs last year... which means they have a decent enough OL and Montgomery will be used.

Reactions: VeloClone

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
This is seriously awesome for David. Grew up in a rough neighborhood, represented Iowa State with class during his time here and in the NFL, and an all-around great dude off the field by all accounts. He deserves everything good that comes his way.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Bears are going to regret that.

The other bears RB is horrible at pass blocking. That doesn't bode well when your QB was hurt a good portion of last season.

So glad DMo is out of that horrible organization, although I wish he was going somewhere better than Detroit.

H

Reactions: RonBurgundy