David Montgomery to the Lions

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Uh. Yeah. Might take two years. But yeah. Did you see how much cap space and how many draft picks they have over the next two years? And, the Packers are trending down big time, and the Vikings, well, are the Vikings and the Loins are the Loins.
When was the last time the bears were good? Cap space and draft picks mean dog ****. The bears can’t seem to do much of anything right it seems so to assume they are going to get better is a risky bet to make.

• Agree
Reactions: dafarmer

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
When was the last time the bears were good? Cap space and draft picks mean dog ****. The bears can’t seem to do much of anything right it seems so to assume they are going to get better is a risky bet to make.
They've been to a Super Bowl more recently than the Vikings and Lions...

Reactions: Pizzapitter

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
They've been to a Super Bowl more recently than the Vikings and Lions...

The NFC North fans saying the other teams suck is outstanding. The Lions never win. They avoid the playoffs like it's their goal.

The Vikings had Bud Grant (RIP, Coach) and no SB wins

The Packers haven't won in over a decade and it looks like all those poor fans who's first jersey was a #4 will get a taste of ye olde Lynn Dickey caliber teams.

NFC North. A true murderers row

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

12-4 in 2018 before the double doink game.

They've had some good seasons here and there but nothing consistent year to year.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Okay, congrats I guess. Wasn’t what I asked, however. When was the last time the bears were good?
16 years.

What does that mean for this exercise?

The Chiefs won Super Bowls after not being there for 50 years.

The Bengals made a Super Bowl recently.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
It's not a running back's production compared to a wide receiver that makes them less valuable. It's a running back's production compared to other running backs. You can plug in a rookie, late round draft pick, and get comparable enough production that it's not worth paying big money for elite performance.
Well, it's the first as well. Of the top 5 rushers last year going by yards per attempt, 4 were QBs and the only RB in that group had fewer yards per carry than the worst QB had in yards per pass attempt. Justin Fields was the most efficient rusher at 7.1 ypc, which was also his average yards per pass attempt - which put him as the 18th most efficient passer.

Passing is just worth more in general. Yes of course there are time where you need to be able to run the ball but everyone is learning that it doesn't have to be a RB that does it. There are very few situations in the NFL where you really need a prototypical RB anymore.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I don't keep up on the Lions RB situation but they have Williams and Swift last I knew.

Did one of those guys bolt or is going to bolt?

Williams, I think, led the league in rushing TDs while Swift was hurt there for awhile.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Uh. Yeah. Might take two years. But yeah. Did you see how much cap space and how many draft picks they have over the next two years? And, the Packers are trending down big time, and the Vikings, well, are the Vikings and the Loins are the Loins.

How many times have the Bears sold the farm for draft picks? I have full faith that A.) they will completely f*ck this up and 2.) Fields is not the answer at QB.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
I used to be a long time Bears fan. However, in recent years, I've lost a lot of interest in them. When they drafted Montgomery, I perked up my years. But the poor guy had NO line to run behind, and the Bears didn't improve the line throughout his stay in Chicago. Furthermore, Fields is NOT the answer (IMO).
The Lions finished strong last year. I hope they take off from where they left off.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If this is true I'd almost wonder why the Cowboys didn't make a play. DM in Dallas seems like a pretty nice fit if Zeke is gone.

They just hit Tony Pollard with the franchise tag. He's going to be the guy. Doesn't make a lot of sense to sign another running back to a large(ish) contract this year. It would be tying up a lot of money at a position where spending a lot of money isn't really necessary.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I used to be a long time Bears fan. However, in recent years, I've lost a lot of interest in them. When they drafted Montgomery, I perked up my years. But the poor guy had NO line to run behind, and the Bears didn't improve the line throughout his stay in Chicago. Furthermore, Fields is NOT the answer (IMO).
The Lions finished strong last year. I hope they take off from where they left off.

Same boat. The Bears have been bad enough, that I haven't felt a rivalry with any of the NFC North teams. I'd be excited if they beat one, but I'd also know by season's end it wouldn't matter. As a Bears fan I can cheer for the Lions taking over the North while the Bears get built up the next couple of seasons.