Deadspin: Proves ISU is Right Where They Should Be.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Wow, that's an eye opener ... to the extent that statistics can tell generalized truths. Our staff doesn't do more with less, nor does it do less with more.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Also proves that Kansas sucks and Weiss was justifiably fired. Just by the eye test, they're the farthest outlier in poor performance on the field against recruiting strength.

*edit: Went thru the data, yep, they're the worst.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Wow, that's an eye opener ... to the extent that statistics can tell generalized truths. Our staff doesn't do more with less, nor does it do less with more.

It makes sense though. As much as staff (and fans) will talk about developing players, everyone is doing that, whether they get 1* talent or 5* talent. Individual results may vary, but on the whole youre generally going to get results in line with your recruiting

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
So basically what you're saying is when it comes to Iowa State football, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit..."?

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
So basically what you're saying is when it comes to Iowa State football, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit..."?

Exactly this. What we hope is that A) Mangino sticks around and get above recruiting results with the offense B) on the whole the recruiting is able to improve some.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I think it will help if we can keep coaching staff turnover to a minimum. (Don't get me wrong I was all for getting rid of Herman and Mess.)
I was a little disappointed that CPR could not take the OSU upset and some of his early over preforming teams and parlay them into some better recruits. But we seem to be getting better 2* and 3* recruits than we used to.

Hopefully that will pay of some day.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
It makes sense though. As much as staff (and fans) will talk about developing players, everyone is doing that, whether they get 1* talent or 5* talent. Individual results may vary, but on the whole youre generally going to get results in line with your recruiting

I'm not so sure I've seen player development that was all that great. Especially at QB. (until this year)

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012

Except the teams that consistently out perform recruiting like Boise State etc. This graph actually tells us that it is a combination of talent and coaching. You can do more with less and less with more depending on how good of a coach you have. In other words there are clearly two variables in this equation (which is the opposite of your point) and yes on the whole if one variable has a higher value the results (sum) will have a higher value. That doesn't mean that the other variable isn't important or equally important. For a team like ISU that is never going to be much higher than midlevel talent that is the one variable we can control to get above mid level results. Right now it is clear we have average coaching and average recruiting and so we have average results.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

It also tells us the recruiting expertise needs to increase. Until we recruit better talent, we will be relegated to being average.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Except the teams that consistently out perform recruiting like Boise State etc.

Boise State is able to get kids to play there that can't qualify at other schools. Kinda like Nebraska. :smile:

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Boise State is able to get kids to play there that can't qualify at other schools. Kinda like Nebraska. :smile:
On this chart they have worse recruiting than us yet way better results. So not recruiting it is coaching.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Also proves that Kansas sucks and Weiss was justifiably fired. Just by the eye test, they're the farthest outlier in poor performance on the field against recruiting strength.

*edit: Went thru the data, yep, they're the worst.

This year only I'm guessing Michigan would crush everyone in those terms.