Decorah

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Heading up to Decorah this weekend. Plan on spending Saturday afternoon at Pulpit and TG. Stopping at Pivo on the way up on Friday and eating at Luna Valley Farms Friday night.

Any ideas of things to do Saturday morning around Decorah(An hour or so away is fine) . One person just had knee replacement a few months ago so no hiking or strenuous walks.

Reactions: wxman1

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Heading up to Decorah this weekend. Plan on spending Saturday afternoon at Pulpit and TG. Stopping at Pivo on the way up on Friday and eating at Luna Valley Farms Friday night.

Any ideas of things to do Saturday morning around Decorah(An hour or so away is fine) . One person just had knee replacement a few months ago so no hiking or strenuous walks.
Bily Clock Museum (Carved wooden clocks carved from wood)https://www.bilyclocks.org/

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Is biking okay for the person with the knee replacement? It's low impact, but will be high usage.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Dunning Springs right in town is worth a quick stop and you don't have to hike to see it. The Vesterheim Museum and Bily Clock Museums are good for a slower pace. Doesn't sound like you have kids involved but the trout hatchery is a good way to entertain kids.

If you are looking for a dinner spot other than Toppling Saturday night, my wife and I love to eat at La Rana when we visit, but you'll need to call for reservations.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I would agree on the Vesterheim Museum. Decorah still has a really good downtown with lots of small businesses to patronize.

If you have a clean growler I always like to stop by the Toppling Goliath Tap Room. You can usually find something unique and the freshness really improves any micro brew IMO.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Is it that bad? We are coming up and have a reservation to float through the Blufftown bar on Saturday.
I think it's all subjective. I haven't been on the river in about 3 weeks, but was in Decorah on Saturday AM mountain biking and it looked float-able. I had some friends go farther up the Upper Iowa (north of Cresco) on Sunday that said it was pretty low, but they still had fun. There's been spotty rain around the area and I'm not sure what it will do for river levels.

If you're getting off in Bluffton, you should still have a fun float, but you'll likely hit bottom a couple of times. You may just want to do a shorter one distance wise as it will take less time. Are you going through the store/bar for your shuttle or White's?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I think it's all subjective. I haven't been on the river in about 3 weeks, but was in Decorah on Saturday AM mountain biking and it looked float-able. I had some friends go farther up the Upper Iowa (north of Cresco) on Sunday that said it was pretty low, but they still had fun. There's been spotty rain around the area and I'm not sure what it will do for river levels.

If you're getting off in Bluffton, you should still have a fun float, but you'll likely hit bottom a couple of times. You may just want to do a shorter one distance wise as it will take less time. Are you going through the store/bar for your shuttle or White's?
Currently with the Store/Bar but open to suggestions.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Some Saturday AM suggestions that will be low impact:

-Visit some of the scenic spots right in Decorah. Dunning's Springs, the fish hatchery, Twin Springs, and Palisades Park are all pretty cool and don't require much of a physical investment. Dunning's Springs in particular is quite beautiful and extremely accessible. Go earlier because it gets overrun closer to noon. I'm an avid mountain biker and use the Dunnings parking lot to start most of my rides. I usually start before 7AM on Saturdays because it turns into a zoo.

-Downtown has some nice shops. Shopping isn't really my thing, but some folks like it. Impact Coffee is my favorite place for a cup of joe, and the owners are awesome people.

-Malanaphy Springs is a longer hike (2 miles round trip) but it's fairly level. Absolutely beautiful and worth it, but maybe too much for your crew.

-A little road trip to fill the morning could be really pretty. I'd recommend doing something like grabbing a cup of coffee at Impact, and then taking the Pole Line Road to Cresco. Very scenic drive that goes along the Upper Iowa at a couple points, as well as some tributary streams. Stop at Dough & Joe in Cresco for the best donuts in the Driftless Area. From there, head back east and drive through Bluffton. You can see the bluffs from the bridge in town. From Bluffton I'd head towards the Locust School. From there, veer onto the Sattre Ridge road and go through the old town of Sattre. It was found to be the most remote place in Iowa per a DSM Register study in the early 00's. From Sattre, I'd work through the Upper Iowa Valley and stop at Heritage Valley. It's a beautiful viewpoint of the valley. From there, wind your way back into Waukon and stop at WW Homestead Creamery for the best damn cheese curds in Iowa (and as good as anything in Wisconsin). At that point, you're only 20 minutes from TG and you can either cruise 9, or take the much more scenic Old Stage Road back to Decorah.

-A short morning float on the river could be fun too, but again, water levels are lower, and I don't know how adverse to walking your group is. If you did that, I'd recommend the shortest float into Bluffton (start at Chimney Rock bridge). It will take you past the quintessential bluffs.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Is it that bad? We are coming up and have a reservation to float through the Blufftown bar on Saturday.

How experienced are you paddling?

In September 2020 I did weekend trip in stretches just upstream and downstream of Bluffton. Paddling Iowa says you're good down to 150 cfs on the Bluffton gauge and we did it at 170(pretty much where it is now). While there was a fair amount of scraping the I in the solo only had to actually get out once over the two days. The 2 person canoe had to 3 or 4 times each day in riffles but part of that was relative paddling inexperience.

I did enjoy proving the locals in fishing wrong who thought we would be walking a lot.

As long as you don't have a keel on your boats and travel light I think you should still have a good time.

Edit: Maybe be a bit less aggressive with trip length though. If I made a mistake it was doing 2 +12 mile days. In higher levels it would be fine but the last few miles on the second day were probably a bridge too far.

Last edited:

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
How experienced are you paddling?

In September 2020 I did weekend trip in stretches just upstream and downstream of Bluffton. Paddling Iowa says you're good down to 150 cfs on the Bluffton gauge and we did it at 170(pretty much where it is now). While there was a fair amount of scraping the I in the solo only had to actually get out once over the two days. The 2 person canoe had to 3 or 4 times each day in riffles but part of that was relative paddling inexperience.

I did enjoy proving the locals in fishing wrong who thought we would be walking a lot.

As long as you don't have a keel on your boats and travel light I think you should still have a good time.
It is just my wife and I. We average out to be..average. Neither of us are afraid of pulling it through every now and then but I just don't want it to be a constant thing.