Decorah

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA
Decorah Update. If you don't like eating drinking, turn away.

Friday

• Pivo-First time I've been there. Really nice/large taproom and outdoor area. They had a ton of taps and had some solid beer. Had a flight and my favorite was Old Balltown BBBASCDCBMS, a sweet stout.
  • Pulpit Rock-We've been 5 or so times. They didn't have any life changing beers but cool hangout that has grown a little over the years. My favorite was their classic Saftig.
  • Luna Valley-A few miles on gravel. Solid beer choices from the heavy hitters in Decorah along with a lot of wine choices. Probably 75 people there eating when we arrived at 5:30pm. When you get reservations the week before you choose your pizza and pickup time. Great pizza and a cool location.
  • Dixies Biergarten-In the old TG location, which brought back some memories. Nice tap list and a lot of good cans. Just had one and it was good. CHONK 'Merica Cake. Saw 4 non local exotic cars dirving by, which seemed odd. Not sure why a Lambo Hurucan, Audi R8, Porsche 911, and Dodge Viper were doing in Decorah....
  • Hotel Winneshiek-Good location. Cool old hotel with a little dated interior but clean and fine. Our room had a Marlo Brando Godfather picture so that's a win.
Saturday
  • Impact Coffee-I'm an early riser so I head over to the coffee shop. HUGE coffee shop filled with your typical small college town coffee shop crowd. If you're thinking to yourself "wow this has to be the most progressive town in Iowa".....head down a couple of blocks and check out the window display at Club 45. Yowsa, what a mix in this small town.
  • LaCrosse-Took an hour drive up to LaCrosse. We were going to go to Prairie Du Chein for Pete's Burgers and Starks but we wanted to try something new.
    • Woodman's-HUGE beer selection. Not a huge difference between selection in Iowa but I picked up a few 4 packs of New Glarus Fruit Beers.
    • Deaf Ear Records-Nice vinyl selection
    • Fat Head Steve's-Had a beer and cheese curds. Curds were ok but not a fan of this place. I think LaCrosse is cool but their food choices are not the greatest. One of their highest rated places is Buzzard Billie's.
    • 608 Brewery-Not a great tap room but had a few solid beers. My favorite was a colab with Lua called FOF, which was a sour
  • Toppling Goliath-Only had 1 beer on tap that I hadn't had. Hard to complain when you have 10+legendary beers on tap. Parking lot looked full but the place was 1/2 empty on a Saturday afternoon
  • Rubaiyat-We normally eat at Mabe's on Saturday night but we tried something different. Rubaiyat was awesome. Had Pasta Rubaiyat, which was a seafood pasta. Also had a Pulpit Rock Dug Road Double, which was pretty solid
  • Sugar Bowl-Still haven't been to Whippy Dip (Didn't want to walk that far) but Sugar Bowl had some good ice cream.
  • TBocks-Not even sure what I drank here
Sunday
  • Klunder's Kafe-Good place in new Hampton on the way home for breakfast
Was there this weekend also and was a little disappointed in Mabes pizza, but rest of the trip was a great time.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We had an absolutely phenomenal weekend, thanks to those that gave recommendations. We went to Luna on Saturday evening. That alone is worth making the trip IMO.

I like places like Decorah that have quite a few things to do in the area that imo are outdoors and calming like Seed Savers.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Decorah Update. If you don't like eating drinking, turn away.

Friday

• Pivo-First time I've been there. Really nice/large taproom and outdoor area. They had a ton of taps and had some solid beer. Had a flight and my favorite was Old Balltown BBBASCDCBMS, a sweet stout.
  • Pulpit Rock-We've been 5 or so times. They didn't have any life changing beers but cool hangout that has grown a little over the years. My favorite was their classic Saftig.
  • Luna Valley-A few miles on gravel. Solid beer choices from the heavy hitters in Decorah along with a lot of wine choices. Probably 75 people there eating when we arrived at 5:30pm. When you get reservations the week before you choose your pizza and pickup time. Great pizza and a cool location.
  • Dixies Biergarten-In the old TG location, which brought back some memories. Nice tap list and a lot of good cans. Just had one and it was good. CHONK 'Merica Cake. Saw 4 non local exotic cars dirving by, which seemed odd. Not sure why a Lambo Hurucan, Audi R8, Porsche 911, and Dodge Viper were doing in Decorah....
  • Hotel Winneshiek-Good location. Cool old hotel with a little dated interior but clean and fine. Our room had a Marlo Brando Godfather picture so that's a win.
Saturday
  • Impact Coffee-I'm an early riser so I head over to the coffee shop. HUGE coffee shop filled with your typical small college town coffee shop crowd. If you're thinking to yourself "wow this has to be the most progressive town in Iowa".....head down a couple of blocks and check out the window display at Club 45. Yowsa, what a mix in this small town.
  • LaCrosse-Took an hour drive up to LaCrosse. We were going to go to Prairie Du Chein for Pete's Burgers and Starks but we wanted to try something new.
    • Woodman's-HUGE beer selection. Not a huge difference between selection in Iowa but I picked up a few 4 packs of New Glarus Fruit Beers.
    • Deaf Ear Records-Nice vinyl selection
    • Fat Head Steve's-Had a beer and cheese curds. Curds were ok but not a fan of this place. I think LaCrosse is cool but their food choices are not the greatest. One of their highest rated places is Buzzard Billie's.
    • 608 Brewery-Not a great tap room but had a few solid beers. My favorite was a colab with Lua called FOF, which was a sour
  • Toppling Goliath-Only had 1 beer on tap that I hadn't had. Hard to complain when you have 10+legendary beers on tap. Parking lot looked full but the place was 1/2 empty on a Saturday afternoon
  • Rubaiyat-We normally eat at Mabe's on Saturday night but we tried something different. Rubaiyat was awesome. Had Pasta Rubaiyat, which was a seafood pasta. Also had a Pulpit Rock Dug Road Double, which was pretty solid
  • Sugar Bowl-Still haven't been to Whippy Dip (Didn't want to walk that far) but Sugar Bowl had some good ice cream.
  • TBocks-Not even sure what I drank here
Sunday
  • Klunder's Kafe-Good place in new Hampton on the way home for breakfast
We usually hit all the same places when we’re in Decorah except we’ve never tried Luna. Looks like it won’t be open when we go in September so maybe next year.

We stayed at Hotel Winneshiek the first time we went and it was fine but every time since we’ve stayed at Airbnb’s. There’s actually quite a few nice ones in town and we usually have at least 5-6 in our group with bikes so it works out better.

The last couple times we’ve gone we’ve stopped at Single Speed in Waterloo for lunch either on the way up or back. It’s a nice halfway point to get out and stretch and they have good food so works great for us.

Agree with the Old Balltown from Pivo. It’s a ridiculously long name but a great beer.

Reactions: BACyclone

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
We usually hit all the same places when we’re in Decorah except we’ve never tried Luna. Looks like it won’t be open when we go in September so maybe next year.

We stayed at Hotel Winneshiek the first time we went and it was fine but every time since we’ve stayed at Airbnb’s. There’s actually quite a few nice ones in town and we usually have at least 5-6 in our group with bikes so it works out better.

The last couple times we’ve gone we’ve stopped at Single Speed in Waterloo for lunch either on the way up or back. It’s a nice halfway point to get out and stretch and they have good food so works great for us.

Agree with the Old Balltown from Pivo. It’s a ridiculously long name but a great beer.
Decorah actually lost population in the 2020 census due to the rise in Airbnb's. Many people who lived in Decorah sold their houses to investors who wanted to rent them, and then moved to places like Calmar, Cresco, and Waukon (all grew in the last census) where they could buy more for less. Because many of the Airbnb's aren't primary residences, they aren't counting towards the census.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Decorah actually lost population in the 2020 census due to the rise in Airbnb's. Many people who lived in Decorah sold their houses to investors who wanted to rent them, and then moved to places like Calmar, Cresco, and Waukon (all grew in the last census) where they could buy more for less. Because many of the Airbnb's aren't primary residences, they aren't counting towards the census.
I’m sure they’re making bank. The huge popularity of TG and Pulpit plus Luther being in town I’m sure has a lot to do with that. We usually have to book at least a couple months in advance to make sure we get one that will accommodate all of us.

Reactions: Al_4_State

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
any idears where to watch the game up here on saturday?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
any idears where to watch the game up here on saturday?
Go to Your Place and have Bloodies with a bunch of the old boys who assemble there around 10AM. It's more of a Hawkeye bar I think (but not obnoxiously so), but the games won't overlap.

Pulpit opens at 11 as well.

T-Bock's will have the game on too, and has a full menu.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Go to Your Place and have Bloodies with a bunch of the old boys who assemble there around 10AM. It's more of a Hawkeye bar I think (but not obnoxiously so), but the games won't overlap.

I would check T-bock’s.
This was my thought, too but I know its Pride Fest in Decorah this weekend and not that I care that it's pride fest, but I just don't want to deal with the traffic and everything else. Could be very busy up there.

Parade starts at 3 and goes down water street.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This was my thought, too but I know its Pride Fest in Decorah this weekend and not that I care that it's pride fest, but I just don't want to deal with the traffic and everything else. Could be very busy up there.

Parade starts at 3 and goes down water street.
That's not going to be a major interruption other than not being able to drive down Water for an hour. Just park in the back lot off between Heivly and Day Spring, or just walk if you're staying in town.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
That's not going to be a major interruption other than not being able to drive down Water for an hour. Just park in the back lot off between Heivly and Day Spring, or just walk if you're staying in town.
Wasn't sure how big of a crowd they get up there for it

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Wasn't sure how big of a crowd they get up there for it
It's probably a decent crowd, but nothing crazy. I've never been there during the parade, but have been to Pulpit after as they always have a party and a few special beers for the event.

Other than during the parade, I don't think any streets are shut down.

• Informative
Reactions: CoachHines3

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
It's probably a decent crowd, but nothing crazy. I've never been there during the parade, but have been to Pulpit after as they always have a party and a few special beers for the event.

Other than during the parade, I don't think any streets are shut down.
I've got about an (almost) 4 hr drive to get there saturday AM so we'd be coming in just about as game starts. less interruptions the better

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've got about an (almost) 4 hr drive to get there saturday AM so we'd be coming in just about as game starts. less interruptions the better
If the Pride Parade is at 3, I would expect next to no interruption at 11. It might cause some congestion after the game, but if you aren't driving at that point I would think the impact on your day will be minimal.

Where are you staying, or are you going back to wherever you live right after?

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
If the Pride Parade is at 3, I would expect next to no interruption at 11. It might cause some congestion after the game, but if you aren't driving at that point I would think the impact on your day will be minimal.

Where are you staying, or are you going back to wherever you live right after?
we've got an airbnb booked north of town that we cant get into until after the game anyway. were up in decorah through Tuesday

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
we've got an airbnb booked north of town that we cant get into until after the game anyway. were up in decorah through Tuesday
Here's the route:
Screen-Shot-2022-09-16-at-2.07.15-PM.png

Park in the lots north of Water St, off of Day Spring, and as soon as the game's over, head towards your Airbnb or Pulpit rock. It will take you away from where the parade lines up.

Reactions: baller21

baller21

Mar 15, 2009

Did Pulpit change their hours? I’m also heading up this weekend. Was planning on hitting TG at 11:00 for the tapping of the golden keg.

IMG_5105.jpeg

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Did Pulpit change their hours? I’m also heading up this weekend. Was planning on hitting TG at 11:00 for the tapping of the golden keg.

View attachment 116675
I guess they did. Maybe it's always been noon, but I coulda swore they opened at 11. Dixie's used to open at 11 on Saturdays too, but they look to be noon.

If you really wanted to avoid getting tangled in traffic around the parade, I'd watch the first half at T-Bock's and eat, and then go to Dixie's or Pulpit for the 2nd.