Denae Fritz transferring

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
No. Go back year over year. There is always a primary scorer with everyone else complimentary. Bridget Carlton, Hailee Christofferson, Kelsey Boltd, Alison Lacey,etc. It's been a little better the past few years with people trying to get open but historically as the clock runs down it is the #1 scoring option left to chuck up a shot as the shot clock expires while everyone else watches. If we don't score in transition we love to take the shot clock under 10 seconds.
You mean like every team that was in the Elite Eight this year.

CourtCyd

Mar 24, 2023
You mean like every team that was in the Elite Eight this year.
No.

With the exception of LSU (Angel Reese). Every one of those teams has multiple scoring threats, run speed up and slow down pace regularly throughout each game based on personnel and game situation and Caitlin Clark leads the nation in assists (not a black hole once she touches the ball). Our family's preferred TV nightly is NCCAW. We watch 100+ games annually.

The Twister Sisters are our adopted team and we have had season tickets since 2007. We aren't alums, appreciate the team for who they are, are objective about what they are not and don't feel obligated to drink Clone-Ade.

So no, I don't mean that.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
No. Go back year over year. There is always a primary scorer with everyone else complimentary. Bridget Carlton, Hailee Christofferson, Kelsey Boltd, Alison Lacey,etc. It's been a little better the past few years with people trying to get open but historically as the clock runs down it is the #1 scoring option left to chuck up a shot as the shot clock expires while everyone else watches. If we don't score in transition we love to take the shot clock under 10 seconds.
I think the main times we saw a primary was with Carlton and Joens. When others listed were here we had numerous scoring threats. For example -

Lacey - Lacey, Weben, Medders, Ezell, Nisleit, Ross (yr 1); Weben, Bolte, Ezell, Nisleit, Ross (yr 2), Weben/Anderson, Nisleit, Lightborne, Ezell, Bolte (yr 3); Bolte, Lightborne (Pop and Prins, but neither were dominating scoring threats as freshmen) (yr 4)

Christopherson - Pop, Prins, Bolte (yr 1); Moody, Pop, Prins, Williamson (yr 2), Kidd, Williamson, Pop, Prins (yr 3); Buckley, Johnson, Kidd, Williamson, Ellis (yr 4)

Aduhbolu15

Feb 28, 2021
Who is the primary scorer next year?

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I think we will see a return to a team oriented offense Next year. Maybe is should say I hope that is the case. If we have a primary (a scorer others defer to) then some of the recruits have failed to live up to expectations early.

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013
Maybe we have basically been running the same offense since Bridget Carleton.
I think before Bridget, we had primarily a pass/shoot offense, but defenses were stuffing all our shots, increasingly, so the dribble drive became the center of the offense. Defenses have out-physicalled that concept too. The hockey assist should become a thing in bb.

Reactions: acoustimac

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Fritz said in an article for the register, she wanted to play in a faster paced offense. Without looking it up doesn’t Iowa state have one of those? Top 25? Sounds like we could have a Justin Hamilton situation on our hands!
Remember what Aubrey Joens said when she left; when she was put in the game, she was told to stand in the corner and snipe. Personally I think all three wanted more freedom and don't appreciate being tightly scripted.

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
Maybe she just wants to be closer to home, maybe she’ll end up at Tennessee

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
No.

With the exception of LSU (Angel Reese). Every one of those teams has multiple scoring threats, run speed up and slow down pace regularly throughout each game based on personnel and game situation and Caitlin Clark leads the nation in assists (not a black hole once she touches the ball). Our family's preferred TV nightly is NCCAW. We watch 100+ games annually.

The Twister Sisters are our adopted team and we have had season tickets since 2007. We aren't alums, appreciate the team for who they are, are objective about what they are not and don't feel obligated to drink Clone-Ade.

So no, I don't mean that.
You do realize that last night one team had a player who shot 52.5% of the teams shots played 39 min. had 8 assists and 8 turn overs was the teams leading scorer and handled the ball the majority of the game but hey only our team does this.

CourtCyd

Mar 24, 2023
You do realize that last night one team had a player who shot 52.5% of the teams shots played 39 min. had 8 assists and 8 turn overs was the teams leading scorer and handled the ball the majority of the game but hey only our team does this.
Have already self-identifed as a stats nerd, which leads to the following:

If anything is wrong with my post, it's that I didn't give the other LSU players enough credit.

That said, VT had LSU reeling until VT basically ran our offense in the 4th quarter to try and shorten the game. They lost flow, quality shot opportunities, momentum and the game.

Your response suggests our team is just like all the other top 50 teams. Bill should keep running the same offense sets and the players leaving will go to teams that are basiclally just like us....

....and you do realize that last night was just one game.

For the season Clark averaged less minutes per game than Ash, Em and Lex. Denae averaged more minutes than all Hawks except Clark.

In less minutes Clark outscored Ash by 6/game, out assisted Em by 2/game and outrebounded all players on both teams except Ash.

Ash is a great player but averages 2 assists/game vs Clark's 8.6 so she has the ball a lot, but isn't scoring in an offense with flow and the offense didn't use her scoring threat to make her teammates better.

Em and Lex both regressed from last year with essentially the same roster except a healthy Denae and no Aubrey.
Ash somehow played even more minutes this year than last year even with Denae healthy and Ni fully integrated into the team.

The stats all suggest that Bill doesn't trust the bench in-game or regardless of what the stats actually show post-game. He does things like play Em 36 minutes vs MSU (won by 31), 35 vs TCU (won by 28), 40 and 35 vs TT (won by 23 and 24), 33 vs Columbia (won by 23). Overused Lex and Ash in these same games. That is game time that could have developed bench players and kept the starters fresh.

MEM lost 1/2 her playing time from last year even with Aubrey gone. Denae essentially replaced 2+ players worth of minutes and would rather go elsewhere.

If Bill doesn't trust the bench that is a recruiting issue, a staffing issue, or offensive scheme issue and he controls all three. They scout well and adapt well defensively but seem unable to adapt as well on offense. That is an ongoing weakness going back over my 16 years of attending.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I'll be blunt - you're jousting with windmills here. I hate EIU as much as the next ISU fan, but Caitlin Clark is on an altogether different level than other players and to compare her to anybody on this year's ISU team is laughable.