Denae Fritz transferring

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So you make a general attack on Fennelly and then refuse NOW to simply post facts instead of innuendo and say “go back and read the thread”.

IMO Lexi and Denae are finding opportunities to be like the LSU transfers and make some money while being some of the most sought transfers in the portal. Fennelly is really not much different from most other coaches that are successful. They are all control freaks IMO.

This is a new age with transfers and NIL. LSU had 9 new players come into their program this year. Players, even slightly frustrated, can move to another program with ease. Hope Lexi and Denae find what they are looking for.

Tommy Birch speaks to these girls and he's 100% shot down it being NIL related:

1680531750284.png

So I find it comical you want to talk about "posting facts".

Again, from what I heard from a reliable source is that Bill was much more on edge than usual this year. Of course he's always been a hard ***, but this year was different. I think with a premium being put on athlete's mental health/well-being, some girls started to realize that this way of being treated was not something they should have to tolerate. I started hearing about a month prior to the end of the year that many of the girls were just mentally, emotionally and physically spent, which played itself out on the floor during the back 1/2 of conference play. You couple all of that with an offensive system that doesn't always play to everyone's strengths, and you have multiple girls wanting to get out.

So if you want to say "NIL" in the face of all the facts against it, go for it.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It’s now officially offseason so let’s discuss Coach Bill Fennelly versus Coach Brenda Freese, since you went there…

Do you mean St. Brenda? People here love her. In a cult like way the majority love anyone who ever coached here for a season. You're going to hear nothing but adoration for her here and a desire that she come "home" someday which is sort of laughable on the probability scale (close to zero unless her career tanks and it probably will not).

Me, not as big a fan of her as I used to be. She was the one who drove all of the way to Roseau to recruit Megan Taylor for my Cyclones but she's also the one that bailed on my Gophers so she has always been a mixed bag for me. I did like watching some of her Maryland teams but the revolving door of her roster lately isn't a great look nor was her throwing one of her outgoing graduates under the bus defending her program last spring.

She a great salesperson so she'll just talk more gals into coming via the portal again, maybe. That is one difference, she has a heck of a lot more to sell with Maryland's success over the years. She can offer a legit shot at the Final Four, we can't really do that.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I just think it's funny you keep hammering home this "guess" stuff as though these girls don't talk to people who talk to people. The reasons they left are pretty well known and have been discussed on this website several times by several people. Willful ignorance is fine, if that's your thing. But this is going to continue to be a problem unless and until Bill changes the way he treats his players. And maybe he will, but given his quotes and the quotes of his family I have my doubts.
You crack me up. Of course players talk. But most on here are applying their guesswork as opposed to having direct connections (first person) to the players. It’s the nature of boards. And the “how Bill treats his players” is also humorous. You make it seem like he is the only coach in the country who is a tough taskmaster. I don’t happen to like some of what I see in college coaching, but it’s just a difference in my coaching philosophy.

Reactions: peatyscotch

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Tommy Birch speaks to these girls and he's 100% shot down it being NIL related:

View attachment 111652

So I find it comical you want to talk about "posting facts".

Again, from what I heard from a reliable source is that Bill was much more on edge than usual this year. Of course he's always been a hard ***, but this year was different. I think with a premium being put on athlete's mental health/well-being, some girls started to realize that this way of being treated was not something they should have to tolerate. I started hearing about a month prior to the end of the year that many of the girls were just mentally, emotionally and physically spent, which played itself out on the floor during the back 1/2 of conference play. You couple all of that with an offensive system that doesn't always play to everyone's strengths, and you have multiple girls wanting to get out.

So if you want to say "NIL" in the face of all the facts against it, go for it.

Primary reason for transferring IMO is that Denae and Lexi see themselves as impact transfers who can be a part of a team and play to their strengths. NIL is a bonus IMO. Certainly not the driver in this.

IMO it was having all the high expectations for national success shattered from bad luck and inconsistency. Mentally exhausted. Want a new start. So be it. Have a Top 10 recruiting class along with a great PG in Emily Ryan. IMO next year could be fun.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
You crack me up. Of course players talk. But most on here are applying their guesswork as opposed to having direct connections (first person) to the players. It’s the nature of boards. And the “how Bill treats his players” is also humorous. You make it seem like he is the only coach in the country who is a tough taskmaster. I don’t happen to like some of what I see in college coaching, but it’s just a difference in my coaching philosophy.

I guess this is the last thing I'll say on it. I don't necessarily have any issue with you having your own perception. You are at least respectful. What I hate to see is talking about "loyalty" or "chasing money", which to me disparages the character of some of these girls. And again, having heard what I've heard, I feel a need to at least somewhat do my part to correct the record. That's all.

Reactions: Junejax and legi

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Do you mean St. Brenda? People here love her. In a cult like way the majority love anyone who ever coached here for a season. You're going to hear nothing but adoration for her here and a desire that she come "home" someday which is sort of laughable on the probability scale (close to zero unless her career tanks and it probably will not).

Me, not as big a fan of her as I used to be. She was the one who drove all of the way to Roseau to recruit Megan Taylor for my Cyclones but she's also the one that bailed on my Gophers so she has always been a mixed bag for me. I did like watching some of her Maryland teams but the revolving door of her roster lately isn't a great look nor was her throwing one of her outgoing graduates under the bus defending her program last spring.

She a great salesperson so she'll just talk more gals into coming via the portal again, maybe. That is one difference, she has a heck of a lot more to sell with Maryland's success over the years. She can offer a legit shot at the Final Four, we can't really do that.
I don’t really care about Brenda one way or the other, but was amused by the board’s top Fennelly apologist comparing our transfer rate to Maryland’s. As you pointed out, the programs are not at the same level. Maryland can lose the NCAA tournament MVP to the portal and be right back in contention the next year. Only time will tell if ISU can retool for 23-24 or if we’ll finish in the lower half of a weak Big XII…clock’s ticking

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I don’t really care about Brenda one way or the other, but was amused by the board’s top Fennelly apologist comparing our transfer rate to Maryland’s. As you pointed out, the programs are not at the same level. Maryland can lose the NCAA tournament MVP to the portal and be right back in contention the next year. Only time will tell if ISU can retool for 23-24 or if we’ll finish in the lower half of a weak Big XII…clock’s ticking
I think the point acousmatic was saying Brenda had 3 times the issues Bill is having right now and she ended up fine. If the problems were similar, yeah, I’d be confused. But Brenda was in a much worse place in regards to the portal last year

Reactions: acoustimac

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Top 10 recruiting class will certainly help. Best recruiting class by Fennelly ever.

And if Iowa State finishes in the top half of the Big 12?

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I assume you are referring to me. Calling me a Fennelly apologist is so off base. I’m about as even keeled as can be when it comes to saying positive and negative about the Coach. If you read my game summaries I’ve called out the frustrating lack of offensive movement/game plan time and time again. What you interpret as being a Fennelly apologist is just calling out the conspiracy theory/hate that is exhibited here. I sure don’t claim to know anything more about why the two players transferred. All the other guesswork without any attributable support is just that. And yes, ISUCubswin was actually able to read and understand my statement about Maryland without adding more conspiracy to it.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
With the longest tenured coach in the Big XII, we should finish in the top third every year and win it outright once in a while. Finishing in the top half of a weak conference isn’t to be celebrated, nor is winning one title in 28 years.

Who was satisfied with the way this year turned out? I wasn’t. Thought we over did on Ashley. Yet she was our best player. The year’s plans and dreams kind of went down with Soares. Mentally was probably a tough year for everyone. Don’t feel ill will towards Lexi and Denae. Great players. Great people. Hope they find what they are looking for.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
What you interpret as being a Fennelly apologist is just calling out the conspiracy theory/hate that is exhibited here. All the other guesswork without any attributable support is just that. And yes, ISUCubswin was actually able to read and understand my statement about Maryland without adding more conspiracy to it.
Conspiracy theory? Hate? Guesswork without attributable support? You need to dial it back about three notches because those are ludicrous words / phrases, and you know it. I know players and player parents, as do others - surely you understand why nobody would attribute a direct statement!

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: peatyscotch

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Conspiracy theory? Hate? Guesswork without attributable support? You need to dial it back about three notches because those are ludicrous words / phrases, and you know it. I know players and player parents, as do others - surely you understand why nobody would attribute a direct statement!
CBF is not retiring or getting fired. Players left, best class coming in, time to move on.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
With the longest tenured coach in the Big XII, we should finish in the top third every year and win it outright once in a while. Finishing in the top half of a weak conference isn’t to be celebrated, nor is winning one title in 28 years.
Hard to believe you can be coach for 28 years with the same school and never be conference coach of the year. That is not to infer he is not a good coach. Just hard to believe. He had some good seasons before Mulkey became the Queen.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Easy there Francis…there are ways to attribute something that is known without names versus much of what is found here which is vitriol. Take a deep breath…but don’t forget to let it out.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

Uh iccy, there was a team in the league called Baylor, with a top 3 all time coach that had a little to do with winning the league only once.

Reactions: acoustimac

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Easy there Francis…there are ways to attribute something that is known without names versus much of what is found here which is vitriol. Take a deep breath…but don’t forget to let it out.
I didn't care for Stripes in HS and it really hasn't gotten any better with age.

You've repeatedly used the words HATE and CONSPIRACY. Surely you recognize that as hyperbole? I don't think anybody hates Bill and everybody recognizes he's been a good representative of ISU for many years. Some people are blind devotees and other are of the opinion all good things eventually come to an end.

My closing words as I depart this board for the offseason and devote myself to preparing for RAGBRAI.

"Good is the enemy of great. And that is one of the key reasons why we have so little that becomes great. We don't have great schools, principally because we have good schools. We don't have great government, principally because we have good government. Few people attain great lives, in part because it is just so easy to settle for a good life." James C. Collins

• Dumb
Reactions: SerenityNow

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I didn't care for Stripes in HS and it really hasn't gotten any better with age.

You've repeatedly used the words HATE and CONSPIRACY. Surely you recognize that as hyperbole? I don't think anybody hates Bill and everybody recognizes he's been a good representative of ISU for many years. Some people are blind devotees and other are of the opinion all good things eventually come to an end.

My closing words as I depart this board for the offseason and devote myself to preparing for RAGBRAI.

"Good is the enemy of great. And that is one of the key reasons why we have so little that becomes great. We don't have great schools, principally because we have good schools. We don't have great government, principally because we have good government. Few people attain great lives, in part because it is just so easy to settle for a good life." James C. Collins

So Bill is bringing in his best recruiting class EVER next year. Hardly a program in complete disarray. Losing Lexi and Denae stinks. But we will survive. Emily Ryan at PG along with a Top 10 recruiting class has me enthusiastic about next year.