Denae Fritz transferring

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Tommy Birch speaks to these girls and he's 100% shot down it being NIL related:

View attachment 111652

So I find it comical you want to talk about "posting facts".

Again, from what I heard from a reliable source is that Bill was much more on edge than usual this year. Of course he's always been a hard ***, but this year was different. I think with a premium being put on athlete's mental health/well-being, some girls started to realize that this way of being treated was not something they should have to tolerate. I started hearing about a month prior to the end of the year that many of the girls were just mentally, emotionally and physically spent, which played itself out on the floor during the back 1/2 of conference play. You couple all of that with an offensive system that doesn't always play to everyone's strengths, and you have multiple girls wanting to get out.

So if you want to say "NIL" in the face of all the facts against it, go for it.
It's not about the money? Not even 25%?

I would agree that both Lexi and Denae are transferring mainly for basketball reasons- probably multiple basketball reasons. Plus maybe some non-basketball reasons. But to say that NIL opportunities didn't influence their decisions to transfer is naive.

The NIL publicity for college players like the Cavinder Twins, Paige Bueckers, Clark or whole teams like Texas Tech getting paid had to make Lexi and Denae curious what opportunities would be available- icing on the cake. And that was before the Women's Final4,

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It's not about the money? Not even 25%?

I would agree that both Lexi and Denae are transferring mainly for basketball reasons- probably multiple basketball reasons. Plus maybe some non-basketball reasons. But to say that NIL opportunities didn't influence their decisions to transfer is naive.

The NIL publicity for college players like the Cavinder Twins, Paige Bueckers, Clark or whole teams like Texas Tech getting paid had to make Lexi and Denae curious what opportunities would be available- icing on the cake. And that was before the Women's Final4,

I think you're totally overstating the amount of NIL money is women's basketball. The Cavinder Twins average 3.8 and 12.2 points per game respectively. Their NIL worth isn't in their game. Paige Bueckers has over a million Instagram followers. Clark is a transcendent player who has garnered her own immense following. Her NIL is from companies, not the University. Texas Tech is giving their players 25K a year, which I'd imagine Iowa State could drum up for Lexi and/or Denae if it meant keeping them.

This idea that either of them is worth big bucks on the open market just seems silly. We just don't see that play out in WBB the way we do MBB.

Last edited:

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think you're totally overstating the amount of NIL money is women's basketball. The Cavinder Twins average 3.8 and 12.2 points per game respectively. Their NIL worth isn't in their game. Paige Bueckers has over a million Instagram followers. Clark is a transcendent player who has garnered her own immense following. Her NIL is from companies, not the University. Texas Tech is giving their players 25K a year, which I'd imagine Iowa State could drum up for Lexi and/or Denae if it meant keeping them.

This idea that either of them is worth big bucks on the open market just seems silly. We just don't see that play out in WBB the way we do MBB.
But what's big bucks? For some players it might be $25K and others $100k.

Will Denae & Lexi make Bueckers or Clark type money? No, but they will get paid and it will be a consideration along with all the traditional reasons kids choose a school like location, coach, teammates, education, etc. For Lexi & Denae, now that they are out in the portal, will NIL be a top consideration for choosing a new school? Or down on the list?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Outside of the top stars getting real NIL for actual use of their name there doesn't appear to be much in the way of NIL in WBB. Some schools are including a stipend for everyone and have included the WBB rosters, Oklahoma is one I think that plans to do that.

Anything beyond the "give a little to everyone" requires a name impact player or social media presence. What ISU WBB player, past or presence, has had much social media "presence"? We've always seemed like a "be seen and not heard" program when it comes to individuals, like our players are little children that might say the wrong thing. We've had some personalities that were allowed to shine on the MBB side, Georges Niang for example, but none on the WBB side.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
But what's big bucks? For some players it might be $25K and others $100k.

Will Denae & Lexi make Bueckers or Clark type money? No, but they will get paid and it will be a consideration along with all the traditional reasons kids choose a school like location, coach, teammates, education, etc. For Lexi & Denae, now that they are out in the portal, will NIL be a top consideration for choosing a new school? Or down on the list?

This presumes Iowa State doesn't have the capabilities to get them NIL money, which I'd question. It's one of the more passionate WBB fanbases out there.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclad

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I assume you are referring to me. Calling me a Fennelly apologist is so off base. I’m about as even keeled as can be when it comes to saying positive and negative about the Coach. If you read my game summaries I’ve called out the frustrating lack of offensive movement/game plan time and time again. What you interpret as being a Fennelly apologist is just calling out the conspiracy theory/hate that is exhibited here. I sure don’t claim to know anything more about why the two players transferred. All the other guesswork without any attributable support is just that. And yes, ISUCubswin was actually able to read and understand my statement about Maryland without adding more conspiracy to it.
Not looking for a fight but are
Easy there Francis…there are ways to attribute something that is known without names versus much of what is found here which is vitriol. Take a deep breath…but don’t forget to let it out.
So you don't think Bill should be heal accountable for any of this? Seems pretty Bobby Knight is to me.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71 and bozclone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
This presumes Iowa State doesn't have the capabilities to get them NIL money, which I'd question. It's one of the more passionate WBB fanbases out there.
We are a passionate fan base, but even in football and men's basketball I would be surprised if we are ever top tier with NIL $. Partially because of our fan bases propensity to throw cash ISU. But more so, I don't believe Jamie and the coaching staffs want to throw money around like drunken sailors.

But I think we have diverged from the original discussion.

Lexi & Denae didn't leave ISU for NIL. The door opened because of their not being happy at ISU. Now that the door is open, I believe NIL will be part of their screen for choosing new schools. Is it their first priority or 5th priority- only they and their families can probably answer.

Not so different than most working folks. If a person can make more money (and it might only be a few thousand) for doing the same job, they jump to "greener" pastures. And for college-athletes, this is a brave new world!

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
We are a passionate fan base, but even in football and men's basketball I would be surprised if we are ever top tier with NIL $. Partially because of our fan bases propensity to throw cash ISU. But more so, I don't believe Jamie and the coaching staffs want to throw money around like drunken sailors.

But I think we have diverged from the original discussion.

Lexi & Denae didn't leave ISU for NIL. The door opened because of their not being happy at ISU. Now that the door is open, I believe NIL will be part of their screen for choosing new schools. Is it their first priority or 5th priority- only they and their families can probably answer.

Not so different than most working folks. If a person can make more money (and it might only be a few thousand) for doing the same job, they jump to "greener" pastures. And for college-athletes, this is a brave new world!

IMO it was a culmination of mixed emotions and frustrations. Best to part ways and wish each other well. NIL not a factor in leaving as you said. Agree that the extra they will now get is just a bonus. Time to move on.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
So you don't think Bill should be heal accountable for any of this? Seems pretty Bobby Knight is to me.

First, I think you are jumping to conclusions that Bill's coaching personality is the ONLY reason Lexi and Denae left. If it is, then yes both Bill and Jamie are accountable for making sure Lexi & Denae's reasons for leaving aren't systemic and drag the program down in the future.

Just spitballing. But if Lexi left because she wants to primarily play point guard next year, what are Bill's options. Or if Denae doesn't feel ISU's style of offense fits her skills, what is Bill to do? Change the offense for one player? What if Denae wanting to play closer to home is part of her decision to transfer? What if Lexi wants to live in a more metropolitan college environment?

Other than Denae mentioning style of offense, we don't know all the reasons both players left. So to say "Bill should be held accountable" is making a pretty big leap. And quite honestly being pretty disrespectful of a coach who has been at Iowa State for close to 30 years. I realize we live in a disposable society, not only goods, but people. I'll trust that Jamie as the AD will address any possible issues as Bill's boss. And as Bill has been a HOF level coach, he will do a self evaluation of the program as well.

Reactions: Stormin

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I didn't care for Stripes in HS and it really hasn't gotten any better with age.

You've repeatedly used the words HATE and CONSPIRACY. Surely you recognize that as hyperbole? I don't think anybody hates Bill and everybody recognizes he's been a good representative of ISU for many years. Some people are blind devotees and other are of the opinion all good things eventually come to an end.

My closing words as I depart this board for the offseason and devote myself to preparing for RAGBRAI.

"Good is the enemy of great. And that is one of the key reasons why we have so little that becomes great. We don't have great schools, principally because we have good schools. We don't have great government, principally because we have good government. Few people attain great lives, in part because it is just so easy to settle for a good life." James C. Collins

What is wrong with Stripes? Not highbrow but there are worse movies out there.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames

He should be accountable along with his assistants. There are many on here who would love to see CBF continue to coach here because he's earned the right as long as he wants. And count me in as one who is appreciative of what he has done for the program but his coaching style isn't getting it done anymore. Ask Fritz. Now Donarski is a head scratcher since she committed so early thanking everyone and not mentioning the coaches? And his response seemed like there was some issues between them as well. I think the next 2 years will be make or break it for CBF. Top recruiting class coming up and I certainly hope the best for the program.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
First, I think you are jumping to conclusions that Bill's coaching personality is the ONLY reason Lexi and Denae left. If it is, then yes both Bill and Jamie are accountable for making sure Lexi & Denae's reasons for leaving aren't systemic and drag the program down in the future.

Just spitballing. But if Lexi left because she wants to primarily play point guard next year, what are Bill's options. Or if Denae doesn't feel ISU's style of offense fits her skills, what is Bill to do? Change the offense for one player? What if Denae wanting to play closer to home is part of her decision to transfer? What if Lexi wants to live in a more metropolitan college environment?

Other than Denae mentioning style of offense, we don't know all the reasons both players left. So to say "Bill should be held accountable" is making a pretty big leap. And quite honestly being pretty disrespectful of a coach who has been at Iowa State for close to 30 years. I realize we live in a disposable society, not only goods, but people. I'll trust that Jamie as the AD will address any possible issues as Bill's boss. And as Bill has been a HOF level coach, he will do a self evaluation of the program as well.
I understand why a player wouldn't like the offensive scheme. It drove us crazy watching it. There were past years it was fun.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Bill is held accountable for the status of the WBB program. It’s called annual reviews. Too many here act like he is above all reproach and that def isn’t the case. Thank goodness it’s an AD like Pollard in charge. He’s forced change in the program before and would again as needed.

• Agree
Reactions: joyisuful and ISU71

Junejax

Mar 2, 2013
I've thought we might see Denae become a Lady Vol. Historic blue blood, close to home, in need of players, SEC resources, recent success. Offensive flow is maybe dicey there, but Knoxville is still big time. Or maybe she'll pop up somewhere unexpected! She would be an asset on any roster.