Deon Silas Commits!

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Not impressed with this class at all.

We really need to improve our instate recruiting, and I get the feeling that Coach Campbell is figuring out what those that came before him knew.
The best talent in the state tends to be in and around IC/CR or Davenport, and Iowa can come into the Central and Western parts of the state and grab most of the better players.
Looking at Iowa's 2021 list, they got a 4 star from Ida Grove, a 3 star from Urbandale, and 3 star from Story City. Its a hell of a lot closer to Ames than IC from all of those place, but the kids still decided to sign with the Squawks. That is not counting a 4 star from CR and a 3 star Bettendorf.

ISU really needs to start winning the Cy-Hawk game with Iowa and we need to get to at least the Big X12 championship game to get these kids really interested in ISU, in the future.
Or its not going to change, unless Iowa completely goes in the tank.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
We really need to improve our instate recruiting, and I get the feeling that Coach Campbell is figuring out what those that came before him knew.
The best talent in the state tends to be in and around IC/CR or Davenport, and Iowa can come into the Central and Western parts of the state and grab most of the better players.
Looking at Iowa's 2021 list, they got a 4 star from Ida Grove, a 3 star from Urbandale, and 3 star from Story City. Its a hell of a lot closer to Ames than IC from all of those place, but the kids still decided to sign with the Squawks. That is not counting a 4 star from CR and a 3 star Bettendorf.

ISU really needs to start winning the Cy-Hawk game with Iowa and we need to get to at least the Big X12 championship game to get these kids really interested in ISU, in the future.

Speaking of Hawkeye fans...

Reactions: Acylum

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I respectfully, yet completely disagree.
We got one of our top QBs, one of our top RBs, one of our top DTs, and A LOT of guys that will rise in rankings during the season.

watch the tape, not the stars.
How many spots do we still have open? Feels like we're not done quite yet either. Personally I'm not over the moon but I trust CMC with this since he's been proving it constantly that he knows what hes looking for

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Speaking of Hawkeye fans...
I see your point.

Horse hockey. The last thing we need to do is get into a McCarney-esque frenzy of signing Iowa kids just to sign more Iowa kids than the TOE.
Looking at Iowa's 2021 list, they got a 4 star from Ida Grove, a 3 star from Urbandale, and 3 star from Story City. Its a hell of a lot closer to Ames than IC from all of those place, but the kids still decided to sign with the Squawks.
Kinda defeats your point when we didn’t want a single one of those kids.

Then there’s the fact that there is a four star in Iowa’s back yard who is also a Hawk legacy—and we’re a finalist, and they aren’t.

Two of these kids have good offer lists, and Coach Campbell is just establishing a framework to build around. The more “popular” guys will start rolling in later.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
We really need to improve our instate recruiting, and I get the feeling that Coach Campbell is figuring out what those that came before him knew....

Not really keen on this take. We fill our needs well under Campbell based on who's available in-state. The only misses I recall in the last 4 years would be Duggan and Gunnerson.

Duggan to TCU made sense based on personal connections and the developments in our QB room at the time. And Gunnerson at the end of the day at least chose to play against the ToE, and jury is still out what he'll translate to at the next level.

All in all, when a talent in-state is available and needed, Campbell and his staff seem to identify it just fine.

Reactions: aauummm

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I see your point.

Horse hockey. The last thing we need to do is get into a McCarney-esque frenzy of signing Iowa kids just to sign more Iowa kids than the TOE.

Kinda defeats your point when we didn’t want a single one of those kids.

Then there’s the fact that there is a four star in Iowa’s back yard who is also a Hawk legacy—and we’re a finalist, and they aren’t.

Two of these kids have good offer lists, and Coach Campbell is just establishing a framework to build around. The more “popular” guys will start rolling in later.

I am not saying signing kids just because they are from Iowa, I am saying signing the Best kids from the state, instead of them going to Iowa. Can you see the difference?

4 star kid from Ida Grove, 3 star from Urbandale, these are not two star walk ons but some of the best players in the state. Major difference.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Piss off, my wife and I have had season tickets for over 10 years for ISU football, How about you?

I love this response. Who cares where a kid is from? I would also bet central Iowa has as much if not more talent than the eastern side.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Not really keen on this take. We fill our needs well under Campbell based on who's available in-state. The only misses I recall in the last 4 years would be Duggan and Gunnerson.

Duggan to TCU made sense based on personal connections and the developments in our QB room at the time. And Gunnerson at the end of the day at least chose to play against the ToE, and jury is still out what he'll translate to at the next level.

All in all, when a talent in-state is available and needed, Campbell and his staff seem to identify it just fine.

I'm not talking identify, but actually signing them to play for ISU. We all want the to see ISU improve in football, we all believe in Coach Campbell, but to see us improve, we need to start getting the majority of the best players to sign and play for ISU.

Look at any state that has two or more P5 programs, which on gets the instate talent or most of it and which one comes in 2nd? Then how are those programs doing compared to each other?

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
I'm not talking identify, but actually signing them to play for ISU. We all want the to see ISU improve in football, we all believe in Coach Campbell, but to see us improve, we need to start getting the majority of the best players to sign and play for ISU.

Look at any state that has two or more P5 programs, which on gets the instate talent or most of it and which one comes in 2nd? Then how are those programs doing compared to each other?

Apologies, my previous usage of the word "identify" was meant to imply both targeting the recruit and gaining the commitment.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

Not gonna happen. Iowa is THE state university. Until we can actually have meaningful seasons, with meaningful expectations this will not change.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
The other offers on most of our commits leave a bit to be desired IMO.
Well this is historically the most important thing I look at in commits, Campbell has earned the benefit of the doubt and don’t even think twice about it.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Apologies, my previous usage of the word "identify" was meant to imply both targeting the recruit and gaining the commitment.

What I am saying is we are not getting those kids to sign with ISU. I am not blaming Campbell, but if we want to move ahead of them we need to get those kids playing for us and not against us.
Yes, the better talent for years has been produced in the eastern side of the state, for as large as the Des Moines metro is, how many football players have we signed out there? The Allen Lazard's have been few and far between.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013

I talk to members of the recruiting staff occasionally. They told me they are not going to go out of their way to land an instate prospect over another prospect they think is more talented. They will always take the kid that is more talented and they will ALWAYS recruit the hardest for the kids they believe are the most interested.

It is too hard to walk into the living room of a life long hawkeye and beg him to come to Iowa State. That is what is happening A LOT in this class. Most of those guys (Connor Colby, Griffin Liddle, Jaden Harrell) grew up Hawkeye fans. Frankly, I'm surprised that Brody Brecht hasn't committed to the hawks yet. That must mean we have a real chance. Anyway...

The games are won on the field; the games are won by who gets more points. You do not get more points for in-state guys. The staff wants the best 25 guys they can get, regardless of where they are from. The "in-state guys" argument is a BS one from Twitter.

Also, their recruiting ties are not in Iowa. Their ties are in Ohio (duh), Kansas City, Arizona, the big states (Cali, Texas, Florida), and they are building a pipeline in Chicago and Michigan.

Deon is a stud and it shouldn't be knock on him that he is from florida. (if anything, that's a plus).

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
I respectfully, yet completely disagree.
We got one of our top QBs, one of our top RBs, one of our top DTs, and A LOT of guys that will rise in rankings during the season.

watch the tape, not the stars.

Stars matter. Example, Notre Dame. Bigger and badder at every position on the field than we were. Plus those kids are mentally tough. It showed. Please save the “look at Mike Rose” sayings. That’s one guy, I get that. I’m not bashing at all because Campbell is literally the best thing that has ever happened to Iowa State Football. I’m just not impressed with the class is all I’m saying.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I talk to members of the recruiting staff occasionally. They told me they are not going to go out of their way to land an instate prospect over another prospect they think is more talented. They will always take the kid that is more talented and they will ALWAYS recruit the hardest for the kids they believe are the most interested.

It is too hard to walk into the living room of a life long hawkeye and beg him to come to Iowa State. That is what is happening A LOT in this class. Most of those guys (Connor Colby, Griffin Liddle, Jaden Harrell) grew up Hawkeye fans. Frankly, I'm surprised that Brody Brecht hasn't committed to the hawks yet. That must mean we have a real chance. Anyway...

The games are won on the field; the games are won by who gets more points. You do not get more points for in-state guys. The staff wants the best 25 guys they can get, regardless of where they are from. The "in-state guys" argument is a BS one from Twitter.

Also, their recruiting ties are not in Iowa. Their ties are in Ohio (duh), Kansas City, Arizona, the big states (Cali, Texas, Florida), and they are building a pipeline in Chicago and Michigan.

Deon is a stud and it shouldn't be knock on him that he is from florida. (if anything, that's a plus).
He's no Bowen born

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

No one is saying taking less talented kids just because they are from Iowa. I am saying you get the best talent from the state to come here.

Is not their job therefore to walk into the house of a lifelong Iowa fan, and get him to see it is his best interests to come to ISU and play football? Difficult without a doubt, but not impossible. This staff has been here 4 years now, they should know the HS coaches, be out visiting the instate schools regularly and getting a line on the next great players here in the state, and then get on them early and stay on them.

If you want to win in college football you have to get the best instate talent, its that simple, you can have recruiting pipelines from all the states you want, but how many of them are for the top kids from that state? Few if any, hell Chizic tried the path of ignoring recruiting Iowa kids, I remember the coaches of WDM Valley say that he nor no one from his staff had ever been to the school. He thought a 3 star from Texas was a better than a 3 star from Iowa, they might be, but why not try and get both?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron