Des Moines High School football

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
There are a lot of factors in play on this stadium and who really knows what the end goal is. It may be to ultimately combine schools for football to help compete. Des Moines has been and will continue to push for equity for all families and students and I think that is a big part of this stadium.

But if the end game is truly to be competitive with the suburbs, building stadiums and leveling the playing field isn’t the answer.

There needs to be a substantial investment in youth sports in Des Moines. They need to make it as easy as possible for kids coming up to play the sports the love without the worry of finances. That’s how u start making things more competitive by the time u get to high school. DM has been terrible in this arena but the answer lies somewhere within this type of model. I’m not saying good things won’t come of this, but If u truly want to compete then get down into younger kids and help them out financially and anyway you can.

Reactions: cw0012

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
What they need to do with the High School sports in football is consider the amount of kids who go out for the team. Not the enrollment of the school. Lincoln, North and all of them have pretty high enrollment rates but have horrible turnout for the football team. With a central stadium it will even go lower. They should be playing 3a or even in Norths Case 2a football. When Valley has 100 kids out for the team and Lincoln has 30. It's an uneven playing field.

I think that would work great for the larger schools, not so much for smaller schools. Because you can have every boy from grades 9-12 go out at a smaller school and still not have much talent. With that said......the school my kids go to is 2A. We played North in non district play the last two years and needless to say.....they would struggle in most 1A districts, and few class A. Earlham is class A and I have no doubt they would smoke North.

So I think your idea would be great for those larger schools who cannot get enough bodies interested. Problem is....the districts are made out at least 6 months in advance and most schools don't know how many kids they have until summer workouts. I would hate to be a 1A district team looking down the throat of Lincoln on a year they DO get 100 kids to try out.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I think that would work great for the larger schools, not so much for smaller schools. Because you can have every boy from grades 9-12 go out at a smaller school and still not have much talent. With that said......the school my kids go to is 2A. We played North in non district play the last two years and needless to say.....they would struggle in most 1A districts, and few class A. Earlham is class A and I have no doubt they would smoke North.

So I think your idea would be great for those larger schools who cannot get enough bodies interested. Problem is....the districts are made out at least 6 months in advance and most schools don't know how many kids they have until summer workouts. I would hate to be a 1A district team looking down the throat of Lincoln on a year they DO get 100 kids to try out.

Lincoln has not had 100 kids try out for football since probably the late 80's. My understanding is they usually have 30-35 kids every year. Sometimes they have a good athlete or two but normally they are not that good. North on the other hand is probably the worst football school in the history of the state of Iowa. I am not sure they have ever been good at football. I know they had a lot more pride and were thrilled when they finally got a stadium built for them and didn't have to use everyone elses. It was kind of a big deal.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Lincoln has not had 100 kids try out for football since probably the late 80's. My understanding is they usually have 30-35 kids every year. Sometimes they have a good athlete or two but normally they are not that good. North on the other hand is probably the worst football school in the history of the state of Iowa. I am not sure they have ever been good at football. I know they had a lot more pride and were thrilled when they finally got a stadium built for them and didn't have to use everyone elses. It was kind of a big deal.

Had a tenant use to talk about how tough they were back in the middle to late 70's. Second only to Dowling from what they say. But then along came the merger with Tech and down the tubes it went.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Lincoln had enough kids in 2019 to have a 5 game freshman schedule, 7 JV games and their 9 varsity games. Since there is a limit to how many quarters and games a kid can play in a season, I would say they had more than 30 to 35 out for football last year.
No one is saying that a 4A school should drop all the way down to 1A and play. But many of these Des Moines teams would struggle in 3A or even a better 2A district to above 500%.
https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schoo...es,ia)/freshman-football-fall-19/schedule.htm

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
Karen Becky AND Susan

85588ebdb135b73bd5abe713efa700ec.jpg

I'm a proud Walter, please stop. This is funny though

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Hoover already made the move down to 3A for this fall.

Let's not pretend that it was a voluntary move. 4A has been cut from 42 teams to 40. Hoover was previously #42 in BEDS enrollment, and is now #43.

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA
I would say Saydel would give them a run for worse team ever. And Lincoln was good when I was high school had couple guys go play for iowa

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I would say Saydel would give them a run for worse team ever. And Lincoln was good when I was high school had couple guys go play for iowa
There was a school in the mid 2000s who I swear had like an 82 game losing streak here in the mvc. I think it was either a Waterloo or Dubuque school.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Clarke has to be in the top 10 worse programs of all time.

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA
There was a school in the mid 2000s who I swear had like an 82 game losing streak here in the mvc. I think it was either a Waterloo or Dubuque school.
Yeah it was Waterloo East. They hold the record for longest winning streak and longest losing streak in the state

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines

Having athletes isn’t Lincoln’s problem or any other metro school for that matter. There are plenty of athletic kids walking around the halls of DM schools.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Having athletes isn’t Lincoln’s problem or any other metro school for that matter. There are plenty of athletic kids walking around the halls of DM schools.

Most of those athletic kids have never played football, I do not think the DM schools have much for middle school football, and very little youth football.
Without a winning football tradition, its very difficult to get kids out for the team. Who wants to put in all that work to get your ass kicked on the field whenever you play the Waukee's, Valley's and Dowling's of the world.
Its the old chicken and the egg deal, you can't win without numbers, but its hard to get numbers when you are not winning.
Everyone wants to part of a winning, team, few want to do it when they are losing most games.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Yeah it was Waterloo East. They hold the record for longest winning streak and longest losing streak in the state
Which is sad. Older cousin played for Ames back when they were in the same conference as East Waterloo, and use to always talk about how tough they were.

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
Most of those athletic kids have never played football, I do not think the DM schools have much for middle school football, and very little youth football.
Without a winning football tradition, its very difficult to get kids out for the team. Who wants to put in all that work to get your ass kicked on the field whenever you play the Waukee's, Valley's and Dowling's of the world.
Its the old chicken and the egg deal, you can't win without numbers, but its hard to get numbers when you are not winning.
Everyone wants to part of a winning, team, few want to do it when they are losing most games.

This exactly. When the current seniors were 7th grade, they had a lot of kids out and it was a talented bunch. They were right on par with Valley’s 7th grade select team. I think that group went undefeated or lost 1 as freshmen. Then gradually a lot of them stopped playing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron