Des Moines Metro beer tiers 2021

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Confluence has moved up to a solid B for me in the last few years. A big part of that is that they release a lot of experimental beers every Friday and a lot of those have been killer. A lot of brewers start canning and then never change anything.

The "Batch" line of DDH IPAs they regularly release are nearly always outstanding. Plus I love that their cans are widely distributed in Iowa.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
A-
Confluence -best quality and most variety on tap in the metro
Big Grove-not in DM yet but some of the best hazy’s in the state
Lua-killing it
B-
Alluvial
C-
Exile
Peace Tree
Barntown-liked them a lot when they first opened but discovered some of their beer really messes with my digestive system. Possibly too much lactose

D-
Kinship
Firetrucker
Brightside
Reclaimed Rails

F-
Twisted Vine
Mistress
Fox

Last edited:

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I want to like them so much since they have cool tap room. Rooks Breakfast Porter is the only consistent beer that I like from them. Last week, I went back for the first time in a couple of years and the 3 I had were all disappointing. They had a mole stout that didn't have a hint of heat.

I don't know how "new" it is but I really liked their Hipster Juice IPA. But I agree the "likes" seem more like the exception -- however they have made more in the last 2 years that I found to be good. I just don't get in there very often.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I think you pretty much nailed the list. I think my only minor quibble is that 515 is dependably good, but if the tiers are sub-ranked having them at the top of C is probably accurate.

515 could be so much cooler being right on the greenbelt trail if they would invest in a nicer patio and a concrete path to said trail

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
515 could be so much cooler being right on the greenbelt trail if they would invest in a nicer patio and a concrete path to said trail

Talk to the City of Clive about that.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Talk to the City of Clive about that.

After the bs i went through with them getting a permit for a pergola we built this spring, I’m steering clear from the city of clive bureaucrats

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA

Interesting. I've only been able to get to-go beer so far, but I'll concur that their location and parking situation is a bit odd. You definitely don't feel like you are driving up to a brewery.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
After the bs i went through with them getting a permit for a pergola we built this spring, I’m steering clear from the city of clive bureaucrats

Then you know what 515 is up against.

• Winner
Reactions: Messi

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The other post made me think of how I would rank our current brewers in the metro. This is based solely on beer, not their taproom, and just my opinion. I like IPA's, Stouts/Porters, and Sours in that order.

Tier A
Lua
Barntown

Tier B
Confluence (moved up from C)
Big Grove (B+. Maybe an A)
Alluvial (Out of the metro but..)

Tier C
West Hill (only been once but surprisingly decent)
Exile
Peace Tree
Brightside

Tier D
Kinship
Firetrucker (Use to be a C)
Reclaimed Rails (They have one solid beer I like)

Tier F
Mistress
Twisted Vine
Court Avenue
Fox (F-)

Fire Away.....

Flix isn't in here. I'd put them at a D. I have had some good special one offs there for movie releases.

I would have a hard time not having Confluence as an A. There beer is always "clean."

Reactions: BACyclone

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Flix should be reopening soon, @JP4CY. And word is the brewers will have a little more freedom in brewing. I'll be interested to see what the DM branch churns out if that's true.

Reactions: dawgpound and JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Flix should be reopening soon, @JP4CY. And word is the brewers will have a little more freedom in brewing. I'll be interested to see what the DM branch churns out if that's true.
At one point I thought there was a CABCO or Rock Bottom brewer there.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
At one point I thought there was a CABCO or Rock Bottom brewer there.

I don't know much about the previous brewer (who is now at Winchester Pub), but I am fairly well-acquainted with the current brewer. I don't think he has history at CABCO or Rock Bottom.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I don't know much about the previous brewer (who is now at Winchester Pub), but I am fairly well-acquainted with the current brewer. I don't think he has history at CABCO or Rock Bottom.
Winchester is pretty cool. Good cocktails. Doesn't Cooper own it?

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Winchester is pretty cool. Good cocktails. Doesn't Cooper own it?

Yep. Owned by the same people who own Coopers on 5th (great food!), It's my understanding that Mike (former Flix brewer) was OK getting away from brewing and enjoys the change to cocktails.

Reactions: JP4CY

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I'm glad that we can all most likely agree that the food/beer mix at Barntown is awesome. That's a place that any town would love to have.

tbh I have a mancrush on Barn Town, they put out awesome beer. Frankly I love that their food is outstanding because I can easily sell the family on stopping there for a meal even when I'm the only beer drinker. Everybody wins.

I just wish they would bring back that Strawberry Drive-In milkshake IPA. That was incredible.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I just wish they would bring back that Strawberry Drive-In milkshake IPA. That was incredible.

I liked the vanilla version. I tried the Cake Batter version they just released last week. It's good, but maybe a little sweeter than I would usually like. I didn't get to try the strawberry version, but I'm hoping they'll do it again.