Des Moines Metro beer tiers 2021

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Seems like a slap in the face to put Kinship in the same league as Alluvial and Big Grove. Can you point me to the beer you've had at Kinship that warrants the Tier B level?

Why are we counting Big Grove in the Des Moines rankings here in July 2021? When their Sherman Hill location opens next year, sure.

Last edited:

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Because they are coming. BTW, it's 2021.
Sheesh - dumb mistake by me

I still hold belief that putting BG in Des Moines ranking is premature. Will they be elite? Sure, but they’re not apart of the Des Moines landscape yet. Just my opinion though.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Sheesh - dumb mistake by me

I still hold belief that putting BG in Des Moines ranking is premature. Will they be elite? Sure, but they’re not apart of the Des Moines landscape yet. Just my opinion though.
Yeah, you may be correct. I'm basing my ratings on the beer I've had from them in the last couple of years as well as the beer I've had in both of their locations. They may totally drop the ball but I highly doubt it. Lua seem to do pretty good right off the bat.

Reactions: cyfanatic and Messi

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I hate to put them in this category so early but after my visit to Fenceline in Huxely this Saturday, I would give them a D. I had three beers and none of them were very good.

troutslayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2011
These are dangerous waters because we all have different palates. For instance, Barn Town IPA's, to me, are very juicy, like overly juicy. They also use lactose in a lot of their beers (allergy), and all of their sours seem to be "pastry". That doesn't mean I'm wrong when I say they're not good, I just don't care for them, so rankings are highly subjective. There aren't many breweries that I won't be back to, but Fox and Mistress just simply don't make good beer in my opinion. For the life of me I can't figure out how Fox is still open. Sticking with taprooms only in the Des Moines area, here's my list. I'm not including Big Grove because they're a year away from serving beer in the Des Moines area. I'm sure it will be great, but I can't rank someone who doesn't have boots on the ground and taps flowing. And yes, I consider Alluvial to be in the Des Moines area and I'm partial to anything Ames.

Tier A
Lua

Tier B
Confluence (B+)
Alluvial
Flix Brewhouse (solid, consistent beer)
Peace Tree
Brightside

Tier C
Exile
Kinship (on their way up. still new, and a ton of potential)
Fenders

Tier D
Twisted Vine
Firetrucker
Reclaimed Rails
Court Av
Barntown (food is fantastic)

Tier F
Mistress
Fox (F-)

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I never really liked Mistress. I've been there a handful of times and never found anything I liked. Was there again last night for a meeting and I tried their California Common. That's a solid beer. Nothing outstanding but very good. I would drink more of that. If only their other beers were to that level.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The other post made me think of how I would rank our current brewers in the metro. This is based solely on beer, not their taproom, and just my opinion. I like IPA's, Stouts/Porters, and Sours in that order.

Tier A
Lua
Barntown

Tier B
Confluence (moved up from C)
Big Grove (B+. Maybe an A)
Alluvial (Out of the metro but..)

Tier C
West Hill (only been once but surprisingly decent)
Exile
Peace Tree
Brightside

Tier D
Kinship
Firetrucker (Use to be a C)
Reclaimed Rails (They have one solid beer I like)

Tier F
Mistress
Twisted Vine
Court Avenue
Fox (F-)

Fire Away.....
Now that we've let a couple of years go by, I'd like to re-rate

The other post made me think of how I would rank our current brewers in the metro. This is based solely on beer, not their taproom, and just my opinion. I like IPA's, Stouts/Porters, and Sours in that order.

Tier A
Lua

Tier B
Barntown

Tier C
Backpocket
West Hill
Exile
Peace Tree
Brightside
Reclaimed Rails-They've improved a lot

Tier D
Kinship
Court Avenue
Fenders
1717---Closed

Tier F
Mistress---Closed
Fenceline
Twisted Vine
Fox (F-)---Closed

Only a few changes. The F's have all went out of business except one. Twisted Vine is now in a better tap room but same ole beer. Backpocket is now in town. Court Avenue moves up one spot based on some recent stuff I've had. Reclaimed rails moves up based on some porters/stouts I've recently had from them. Barntown moves down one spot and nearly two spots in my mind. I'm just not loving them as much as I use to. Forgot about Fenders, added them as well. I've only been to Fenceline one time so it's probably not fair but I'll never go back unless I hear something drastically changed

My guess is that by 2025 firetrucker may also be closed, which is a shame.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
Only a few changes. The F's have all went out of business except one. Twisted Vine is now in a better tap room but same ole beer. Backpocket is now in town. Court Avenue moves up one spot based on some recent stuff I've had. Reclaimed rails moves up based on some porters/stouts I've recently had from them. Barntown moves down one spot and nearly two spots in my mind. I'm just not loving them as much as I use to. Forgot about Fenders, added them as well. I've only been to Fenceline one time so it's probably not fair but I'll never go back unless I hear something drastically changed

Fenceline has a Honey Truncheon which is a quite tasty brown. I'm a darker beer fan and have really enjoyed this one. The brewer/owner there has been improving a number of their beers lately.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

Tier A
Lua

Tier B
Barntown

Tier C
Backpocket
West Hill
Exile
Peace Tree
Brightside

Tier D
Kinship
Court Avenue
Fenders
1717---Closed

Tier F
Mistress---Closed
Fenceline
Twisted Vine
Fox (F-)---Closed

I'd put alluvial in tier A,and barntown is close to tier A for me. But the rest of your list I agree with.

ISU4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008

Tier A
Lua

Tier B
Barntown

Tier C
Backpocket
West Hill
Exile
Peace Tree
Brightside

Tier D
Kinship
Court Avenue
Fenders
1717---Closed

Tier F
Mistress---Closed
Fenceline
Twisted Vine
Fox (F-)---Closed

I think this is solid. We went to West Hill when it first opened so I don’t remember them much and can’t comment. I think Big Grove is a solid B, their Hopocalypse series is usually good as are their stouts but haven’t loved much else besides Easy Eddy, so maybe you are right at a B+. We live 5 minutes away from Lua so are lucky, but man it’s hard to go anywhere else with the proximity and the great beer. I’ve always had a soft spot for 515 as that was our neighborhood brewery before Lua opened.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Anyone want to take a shot at a KC area brewery list to derail the thread but also give some insite for the Big12 tournament next year?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Anyone want to take a shot at a KC area brewery list to derail the thread but also give some insite for the Big12 tournament next year?
As a visitor, here is my take on the ones I've been to

Alma Mader-A
The best I've had in KC

BKS Artisan Ales-A
Neck and Neck with Alma Mader

Boulevard-B
Hard to rate because they are so big compared to the rest. Tap room usually has solid options.

City Barrel-B+
Only been to the one downtown. I believe they just opened another in the old Bier station, which was a favorite of mine.

Servaes-B

Torn Label-B

I do a little research before I go so unlike DSM, I haven't been to a lot of their crap ones.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
As a visitor, here is my take on the ones I've been to

Alma Mader-A
The best I've had in KC

BKS Artisan Ales-A
Neck and Neck with Alma Mader

Boulevard-B
Hard to rate because they are so big compared to the rest. Tap room usually has solid options.

City Barrel-B+
Only been to the one downtown. I believe they just opened another in the old Bier station, which was a favorite of mine.

Servaes-B

Torn Label-B

I do a little research before I go so unlike DSM, I haven't been to a lot of their crap ones.

Ranking of KC beers deserves its own thread so that it is easier to find for future reference.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Lua's hazy IPAs are amazing. Confluence's Des Moines IPA gets a lot of attention, but for me, their Milk Man Milk Stout is an A+. I've gotten several kegs of it the last few years. Confluence also has a really good pumpkin beer in the fall if that's your kind of thing. Basic Batch. I tried to get some last year but they only brew one batch of it and it sold out in 4 days.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron