DeVries to WVU

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I have not watched a single second of Drake bball. How close is Davries system to Creightons?
I think he changed how the team played based on the guys he had on the team. Each year he has brought in a lot of new guys and he worked around their strengths. Having said that his teams have always played good defense.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I think he changed how the team played based on the guys he had on the team. Each year he has brought in a lot of new guys and he worked around their strengths. Having said that his teams have always played good defense.
Thank you.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Iowa is going to rue the day they didn't lock DeVries down.

WVU is going to get back on the horse in the Big 12 quickly with a good coach.

They can reload. Having Tucker immediately helps a lot with that.

Oklahoma State, on the other hand, probably will take some time.

I'm a DeVries fan but I think it's also worth noting that mid major to P5 is not an easy jump to make. The failures/struggles outweigh the success stories by a long shot. WV just seems like a weird fit for him IMO.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
1. WVU has been good in hoops post 2000 and had a run to the title game with Jerry West. Having the NBA logo means you have some tradition.

2. WVU had the 4th highest attendance this past year despite winning just 9 games. Fan support is an "A."

3. Oliver Luck and kendrick had, before the Huggins fiasco, put together the number 1 class in the transfer portal. WVU outbid kansas and other bluebloods for 1 player, and beat several good teams for others. Getting talent to WVU is easier now than it was before the NIL era.

4. Small town Iowa guy will feel he's still at home in Wva. you dont have much crime, drama, etc. most people dont even lock their doors. Great place to raise kids if you value traditional values, which was the major reason WVU hired him--he's a culture fit.

5. Huggins made over 4 million a year.
How is the initial fan-base response so far?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm a DeVries fan but I think it's also worth noting that mid major to P5 is not an easy jump to make. The failures/struggles outweigh the success stories by a long shot. WV just seems like a weird fit for him IMO.
I kinda thought he'd end up at OK State, just due to it being closer and more of a cultural fit with the places he's been.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
Overwhelmingly positive. People see a culture fit. While hiring a guy like Jay Wright would've been off the charts, he definitely isnt a culture fit for WVU.

All things indicate DeVries will be able to relate to WVU donors and fans, who are not wine and cheese types.

if he keeps one of the WVU players who were on staff this year, that would be a huge plus. All 3 were fan favorites.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Yeah same but man OSU seems like a tough job at this point.
I might just give Gottlieb a shot. His brother is a big time assistant and has a bunch of P5 experience and then he can grab another head coach for his bench. I think he'd be able to recruit okay and the base would eat up the Sutton connections.

I think it's worth a shot, it's not going to get any worse.

• Agree
Reactions: hlb76

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I might just give Gottlieb a shot. His brother is a big time assistant and has a bunch of P5 experience and then he can grab another head coach for his bench. I think he'd be able to recruit okay and the base would eat up the Sutton connections.

I think it's worth a shot, it's not going to get any worse.

The tough thing with that OSU is that even with good teams the fan support just isn't there.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
The tough thing with that OSU is that even with good teams the fan support just isn't there.
Fan support is dead and the expanded GIA makes it even more noticeable. Went to an OSU/Tech game a few years back and there was maybe 2000 fans in total, and that may be a stretch. Was pretty sad considering the old days.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I saw a tweet from a Drake fan who made good points about Tucker.

The kid had a chance to be the first-time MVC Player of the Year since Larry Bird and would have (probably) been their 1st NBA player since the 1980s.

I feel bad for the fanbase in that regard.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I went over to their 247 board last night and they sounded very positive about the hire, they liked the idea he was bringing his son with him. I get the feeling most were ready to move on and put the way they got rid of Hoggins behind them. They liked that he had rebuilt Drake, all the 20 win seasons and many stated they had plenty of money to spend to bring in players to help immediately.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Iowa is going to rue the day they didn't lock DeVries down.

WVU is going to get back on the horse in the Big 12 quickly with a good coach.

They can reload. Having Tucker immediately helps a lot with that.

Oklahoma State, on the other hand, probably will take some time.
I wonder if some of the issues at O State is the loss of Boone Pickens. Their football has fallen off a little, wrestling is not where it was, men's basketball is in the dumpster. Did they depend on Pickens so much that they didn't ever really cultivate their donor section very well They basically went back to the that well so much and now it's dry? You would think they could kinda buy their way out of some of this with the oil money there.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Was it though? Again, the MVC is a bad, bad conference. UNI is a shell of what they used to be. Loyola is gone. The addition of Valpo and Murray State only diluted it further.

Who knows, maybe he's a good coach. But to me it all coincides with a league that got worse, and a player that has no business being in the MVC.
He already won an NCAA tournament game and finished 15-3 in the Valley before Tucker even showed up. Stop acting like it was all because he got a good player.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I wonder if some of the issues at O State is the loss of Boone Pickens. Their football has fallen off a little, wrestling is not where it was, men's basketball is in the dumpster. Did they depend on Pickens so much that they didn't ever really cultivate their donor section very well They basically went back to the that well so much and now it's dry? You would think they could kinda buy their way out of some of this with the oil money there.
The problem at OSU is T Boone covered up just how poor their donor situation actually is. Oklahoma as a whole is a poor state and OSU is pushing out animal science and mineral/energy engineers, etc. The mineral rights create the wealth and are generally separated from the land itself so can have two different owners on the same acre. Most mineral rights are owned by non local people/entities. Their donor situation makes ISU look wealthy if T Boone isn’t in the picture. Stillwater especially is a fairly poor area with little business actually in it and the companies in the area that were donors no longer exist or have been sold and moved.

On a non athletic note many of the patents OSU was relying to be cash cows have been commercial flops. The university as a whole is not in a strong financial situation from what I know.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Overwhelmingly positive. People see a culture fit. While hiring a guy like Jay Wright would've been off the charts, he definitely isnt a culture fit for WVU.

All things indicate DeVries will be able to relate to WVU donors and fans, who are not wine and cheese types.

if he keeps one of the WVU players who were on staff this year, that would be a huge plus. All 3 were fan favorites.

I just gotta say, I love the self-aware minor self-own there.

Same, Mountaineers, same.