DG and Fred

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
Garrett is a stud. With each passing game it becomes ever more apparent that the problems in his game the first three years were a result of the stultifying system in which he was operating. Fred has done a marvelous job with DG - allowing him to create, penetrate the lane and dish to open shooters on the wing. Love to engage a little thought exercise of "what if". What if this coaching staff would have had last year's ISU team to work with?

Very excited about the future of this program as things seem to be in very capable hands. Still believe ISU will take its lumps at times throughout the remainder of the season, but The Mayor deserves a ton of credit for the way this program was been managed since he's come on board. From the hiring of Lutz to the addition of highly touted transfers to the effort extended by a short-handed team everything points to excellent management.

Can't wait to see what this coaching staff can do with a full complement of players.

Reactions: CyBobby

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I have a lot of respect for DG. You think about all the turmoil he's gone through and he's been true to ISU through it all. Mr. Dependable. Very happy he's having a great senior year.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
I have a lot of respect for DG. You think about all the turmoil he's gone through and he's been true to ISU through it all. Mr. Dependable. Very happy he's having a great senior year.

Mr. Dependable is exactly right. The guy was the best player on the court last night and BU could not guard him. Loved watching him go one on one and go to rack. Really happy for the guy to have success his senior year. And you are right, he deserves it after all the ***** that he's put up with.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
He does the little things better than in the past. Being able to play with more in a more wide open system has really helped him. I think the biggest change in his game is the confidence Fred has in him. Same goes for the rest of the team.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
Great post and could not agree more. DG really looks like a new person on the court and in interviews. The Mayor is instilling confidence in these kids and putting them in positions to excel on the court, which I haven't seen for years.

Side note: It is neat to see Fred being more vocal and active on the sideline too as he matures into his new role as a Head Coach.

Z

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I watch more NBA than NCAA, yesterday was incredible to watch ISU/Baylor and Bulls/Heat back to back. Both of my teams being complete assassins from 3 and playing disruptive defense.

I always thought Diante was a good pg but not NBA level. After 18 games this year, I think if he had played under this system for four years he would have had a chance at an NBA career. He still could but I think he may have to develop in Europe or D league for a few seasons. If he improves in that type of situation as much as he's improved in his one non Greg McD season he could definitely be a player in the NBA. His improved passing and penetration this year move him into that type of situation.

Reactions: clonez

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Fred has said from day one how much he likes DG, even after all his struggles in the past. I think Fred has a way of seeing a players strong points, helps him get better at them aso he can use them in games. He has an eye for raw talent. When watching this team the players do what they do well a lot and shy away from what they dont do well. In the past it wasnt that way.

Reactions: zach

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
DG will always have a special place for me since he watched so many players come and go before their career was finished. And yet he stuck it out with Iowa State.

It has been a joy to watch DG blossom with all of the praise (well deserved) that Hoiberg has given him this year.

Any win from now to the end of the season is gravy to me, but I want these guys to win because I want DG and Jamie and Jake to go out in a really positive way.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
This year's DG is not the same as last years. I remember being so frustrated with him last year when he would blow be his man and brick the layup. He is so much better a shot than last year and that has opened up so many things that he can do near and away from the basket.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Yep, while all his teammates were bailing, he anted up. I have total respect for him and wish him nothing but the best going forward.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
The current coaching staff does a much better job of coaching to the players strengths and putting them in better positions to succeed. This goes for DG and others.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This year's DG is not the same as last years. I remember being so frustrated with him last year when he would blow be his man and brick the layup. He is so much better a shot than last year and that has opened up so many things that he can do near and away from the basket.
Since we have no inside game this year, he needs to make the layups.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
I will always respect DG, but once again before half he showed he can turnover the ball in a pressure situation. I was VERY VERY glad we were up at half, but those 2 points could have been huge if the game went in another direction.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
I will always respect DG, but once again before half he showed he can turnover the ball in a pressure situation. I was VERY VERY glad we were up at half, but those 2 points could have been huge if the game went in another direction.

:confused:

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny

I am getting tired of our run out the clock play at the end of the half. It never seems to work and we never seem to get a decent shot up. I think it just goes against our entire offensive philosophy and the guys get out of rythm.

I wish they would just hold the ball until 6 seconds left and then call a timeout. Then the coaches could draw up an out of bounds play that would at least get a quality shot off.