Did Anyone See the Scumbag Tactics Texas Used in a Women's SB Game

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Long story short, apparently there is a time limit in women's softball. UT and Kentucky went to extra innings tied 4-4. Kentucky scored 3 in the top of the eighth to take a 7-4 lead.

Instead of playing the game out, the UT coach pulled a ton of stalling shenanigans (pinch runners taking their time, pitcher changes taking their time, batters requesting eye drops), etc until they could extend the game past the time limit, resulting in a 4-4 tie.

******* UT scum. Good riddance. This coach needs to be roasted.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports....-kentucky-runs-of-the-board-game-ends-in-tie/

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Long story short, apparently there is a time limit in women's softball. UT and Kentucky went to extra innings tied 4-4. Kentucky scored 3 in the top of the eighth to take a 7-4 lead.

Instead of playing the game out, the UT coach pulled a ton of stalling shenanigans (pinch runners taking their time, pitcher changes taking their time, batters requesting eye drops), etc until they could extend the game past the time limit, resulting in a 4-4 tie.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports....-kentucky-runs-of-the-board-game-ends-in-tie/

LOL at Kentucky getting a taste of their new conference partner.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

It’s weird to me that if the inning starts it don’t finish. Even if it goes slightly past the time limit. Little league baseball u finish the inning if it started on time. I don’t understand that rule

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
It’s weird to me that if the inning starts it don’t finish. Even if it goes slightly past the time limit. Little league baseball u finish the inning if it started on time. I don’t understand that rule
How many times do little league teams have flights to catch.

It's just a pregame agreement between the managers.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston

That is an idiotic rule.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

They come to town April 6,7,8th if you want to heckle him.

Reactions: tzjung and MeanDean

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
If an official notices this happening, could they even do anything about it? I feel like I'd want to have the coaching staff tossed. If they want to wait out the game they can do it on the bus.

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
How many times do little league teams have flights to catch.

It's just a pregame agreement between the managers.
Pretty sure Texas's charter flight sits on the tarmac until they arrivre.

Edit- never mind, Kentucky was flying, not Texas.

Last edited:

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
Easier to set a hard end time than reschedule a commercial flight for 35 people on zero notice.
So then book a flight that gives enough time in case the game runs a bit longer (like sports tend to do, especially in a sport that does not have a clock).

Sounds like the Texas coach did what was allowed within the current letter of the law, but does not seem right in the context.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
I can believe it. I batted against him when he pitched for Cedar Rapids Teleconnect. The New Zealand pitchers were always very competitive. Part of it was because that is how they made a living. The big time teams payed their pitchers and some of their players. We were just a bunch of eastside friends that loved the game. We payed our pitcher when we won tournaments.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I can believe it. I batted against him when he pitched for Cedar Rapids Teleconnect. The New Zealand pitchers were always very competitive. Part of it was because that is how they made a living.
I remember those times…. Crazy competitive.

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019
The hard time is set at the beginning of the weekend between the coaches. The visiting team is supposed to set their flight arrangements based on last flight out in the location they're playing. That doesn't always happen, some schools don't always follow the conference rules. This happened to my kids team last year Conference game/series and similar tactics used to delay the game. We were actually tied and going to extra innings, we had set the other team down in order. We led off the bottom of the inning with a double, were now at the top of our order. Coach from other team calls time to talk to her pitcher, ump comes out to break it up after allotted time. Coach goes back to dugout, ump says playball she calls time again pitching change now. After that new pitcher throws 1 pitch way outside to our lead off and game is called for travel hard time. Our coaches new it, it sucks and believe me a lot of unhappy fans!

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Seems like the rule is flawed. Maybe should set a hard stop when the home team half of the inning can start and create a situation where the home team is going quickly instead of stalling.

It's gotta burn Kentucky a bit because if I read the article right, there were 2 outs and the count was 0-2 when the game was called.

If I am Kentucky, I find a way to tweak UT in fun. Maybe the UK SID needs to take a jab at the Longhorns in his/her game write up on the Wildcats website. Maybe put a big asterisk on the UK softball schedule saying UK was up 7-4 when game was called because Texas' coach refused to finish the game:)

Have some fun with it because obviously the Texas coach forgot that college sports are supposed to be about having fun and the college kids. Maybe Karma will strike and UK/UT will face off in the NCAA softball Tourney.

Help Support Us

Become a patron