Didn't See the Game-Question and Comment

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Q- Did Meyer play as poorly as his stat line indicates?

Comment-Wow! Only one penalty for five yards. That's a level of discipline never seen under Mac.

At least we're losing more competitively now. Perhaps that bodes well for next year?
(got to say something good)

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
We have been losing competitively for the past 10 years, who cares, losing is losing.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Didn't see that discipline under Mac? Weren't we one of the least penalized teams in the nation last year?

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Yeah, I'm not that excited about these lack of pentalties. We were good penalty wise last year.

And brianhos is right. Minus some of the powerhouse games, we have been competitive. And Nebraska is not a powerhouse game this year.

CyRocket

Jan 31, 2007
We have been losing competitively for the past 10 years, who cares, losing is losing.

What Universe have you been living in? 77 to 7 ---Now thats competitive football!! Sory for the rant but we're sounding more like Hawkeye fans all the time. Could I have been wrong for 45 years and its not being a EIU fan that makes them jerks but just being Iowans? God I hope not!! I thought Clone fans were above this, kill the coach mentality. Look at the stats man we out played them in everything but rushing avg. And did anyone really think we could have a great running game with a makeshift line. Get real people this is going to take TIME. Hos get down to earth.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com

Didnt the clones post a 9 win season and couple 7 wins as well in the last decade?

Granted the ride with coach Mac was up and down, but at least it by far trumped the ride with walden. im just sayin.....

With the o-line starts all comign back next year and sumrall and hamilton playing pretty well, i really expect some good things next season. hell, i expect some good things and a couple upset wins by the end of this season.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
1 penalty for 5 yards in a road game, especially at a place as loud as Lincoln, is incredible.

However, it may also be an indication of lack of aggressiveness by our players. I'm not saying that our offensive line should go out and put everyone in full nelsons, or that our DB's should mug all the receivers.....but the refs won't call everything and you may as well try to get away with whatever you can. Getting penalized a few times isn't going to kill you any worse than the horrible TO's we are giving up.

Then again, maybe we ARE committing infractions and just not getting called on them. Huh.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
1 penalty for 5 yards in a road game, especially at a place as loud as Lincoln, is incredible.

However, it may also be an indication of lack of aggressiveness by our players. I'm not saying that our offensive line should go out and put everyone in full nelsons, or that our DB's should mug all the receivers.....but the refs won't call everything and you may as well try to get away with whatever you can. Getting penalized a few times isn't going to kill you any worse than the horrible TO's we are giving up.

Then again, maybe we ARE committing infractions and just not getting called on them. Huh.

You make a good point, but we killed drives against Kent State and UNI with offensive line penalties. I like this way better.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Yeah but it happends a lot less.

From thespread.com--I averaged the first 40 teams and came up with:

Offensive penalties averaged 7.0 per game for 71.2 yards per game.
Defensive penalties averaged 7.8 per game for 65.4 yards per game.

ISU:
Offensive penalties 3.5 per game for 31 yards per game.
Defensive penalties 4.6 per game for 47 yards per game.
LINK

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Q- Did Meyer play as poorly as his stat line indicates?

Comment-Wow! Only one penalty for five yards. That's a level of discipline never seen under Mac.

At least we're losing more competitively now. Perhaps that bodes well for next year?
(got to say something good)

Actually, Meyer looked good except for the three interceptions (should have been a fourth that was dropped) On one, the ball popped up, and that didn't appear to be Meyers fault. He managed the game well, played with confidence and looked good. As for penalities, the officials swallowed their whistles. They could have called pass interference against Huskers on may occasions.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I was really surprised that we came out 10-0, even if Nebraska kept handing us the ball. That part was good. But the interceptions and poor location on Bret's passes are really disappointing for a 5th year guy that has played tons of games. What are we gaining by playing the entire game? Arnaud should be playing halves, not one or two series.
Also, when we were 1st and goal on the 9, trailing, why are we not throwing it in the end zone three (maybe 4) straight times? Isn't wide receiver our strength?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Near the end zone we lose our confidence. We appear not to run for power or throw with touch. Bret commonly overthrows just to be safe.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Two Common Threads in Our Losses

1) Our kick-off coverage teams are BAD. We kick it long we give up big returns. We pop it up and teams are still at the 45. From what I can see there needs to be some wholesale changes on the kick coverage team- it seems like nobody knows how to tackle. Guys are diving for air.

I was at the game & didn't hear any of the post game rehash, but did Shaggy wiff on the kick-off in the first quarter or did ISU try an onside kick?

2) Brett can throw those INT's. We all knows he stares down his receiver- I don't think the coaches are going to change that after 4 years. My problem is he stares down his main receiver and still doesn't see 2 defenders covering the guy. The slant was pretty successful yesterday, but it also seemed like one of 3 pass routes that Brett attempts to complete. Not sure if that is a Brett issue going through his progressions or limiations in our offense.

MidwestZest

Apr 22, 2006
Sycamore, IL
Re: Two Common Threads in Our Losses

I agree with most of isucy86's assesment - i will add a little (hopefully insiteful) commentary

Not sure how much the radio guys talked about it, but to me, the wind was obvisously a BIG factor
I was at the game & didn't hear any of the post game rehash, but did Shaggy wiff on the kick-off in the first quarter or did ISU try an onside kick?

Pretty sure since we were kicking into the wind, that shaggy was trying to sqibb the ball. A high kickoff, especially right then i remember thinking, was gonna have the ball caught at like, the 30. He did wiff it some however, kicked too much of the top of the ball i thought. could have been the ball falling over off the tee as well. the 2nd time he did that in the 2nd half the sqibb kick was good, although the coverage was not :-/

Also, i agree that the slants were working well, but nebraska caught onto that real quick - especially when we were into the wind.

Also, it was real obvious that meyer was much better throwing into the wind rather than with the wind. Overthrew a lot of recievers on a lot of different types of routes

Help Support Us

Become a patron