Differences from last year to this year - coaching angle

Lastplace

Oct 23, 2006
Thought they looked just a little rusty in their press break. As the game went on they got more and more comfortable in it, but ISU is just a terrible team to press. Good to get one of these teams early at home instead of trying to work that stuff out on the road.

I've just watched the games on CyclonesTV, but I've heard Prohm a few times but other than that his sideline demeanor seems similar to Fred's. Not much jawing at the refs and during TO's he's calmly talking to the team like Fred did.

If you're at the games does his demeanor seem that much different?

Think Chattanooga is a good team, I was impressed by how in control ISU was the entire game.

His demeanor is very similar to Fred's. He doesn't jaw at the refs at all, there was one time where I saw it. He is definitely more vocal on calling out plays and getting guys into the right spot - which as others have said and I agree with, is due to the players warming up to the new system.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
It was awesome being in Hilton tonight for my first game of the Prohm era. I noticed a few things that I enjoyed and some things that will probably need to be addressed at some point.

The good:
Many set plays where Monte was clearly the go to

When Naz was hot, there were some new wrinkles in our offense to get him the ball quicker than running several ball screens, then the pass to Naz. Gets the defense on their heels

Matt Thomas (although a few missed shots) looked confident and Prohm is using him well

Cooke's defense is very good - will be critical down the stretch

Nader is a completely different player from last year. I feel like he will be key for us when/if McKay gets in foul trouble

Things that need to be addressed (imo):
There is a lot more back and forth between players than in the Hoiberg era. This could be good, or bad. Many times Niang getting on Naz, McKay getting frustrated and whining about little things. I feel like the dynamic among the players might be a little bit different this year.

The inbounds set plays seem to be rough at this point. Maybe its early and its to be expected, but Prohm yelling out where the players need to be, like they dont know where they should be. Hoiberg era seemed a lot smoother on the inbound plays. I think over time, it will get better it just seemed sloppy.

Clearly, more positives than negatives. I loved how we got challenged in the press tonight. We will see the press from Oklahoma for sure, and probably KU..its great to see that we were challenged early.

Love the Prohm era so far, fun to watch these guys doing what they do. Just a few observations from tonight. Go State!!

I wouldn't worry about this, especially Niang/Naz going at it a little bit - they are like brothers, close on and off the floor, so they feel comfortable getting at each other.

If they are getting at each other a little more it may be by design. Prohm is leaning on those seniors/Morris to help make this transition smooth and them being leaders on the floor and going back and forth a bit is part of that. I also think in general, the core of the team has played a lot together and they are really comfortable with each other so they are able to get at each other more than other teams.

Overall I am very pleased with how we have looked so far.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
The Hogue piece is missing from this team, great rebounder who can consistently get garbage points off boards out to the occasional three pointer. Maybe Burton will fill that role at the end of December. Otherwise this team has everything it needs.

We didn't have a Hogue piece last season. The SF was very inconsistent. So far, the production has been much better with both scoring and rebounding. Nader has performed as well as Hogue in getting those garbage bounds.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Ya, IIRC, the second game against Kansas, it was a focus to sprint back down on defense because McKay made the Jayhawks his ***** in transition the first game.

You do remember correctly!
HopefulFrenchBarnacle.gif

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The 1 thing that I really have enjoyed so far is the effort on defense. The guys have really put in some effort to improve in this area so far and last night we saw it really pay off playing a team that had hit 12 3's in each of it's first 3 games and they held them to 5-20 from downtown and contested the 3 point line very well which is a refreshing change from the sometimes lazy defense we would play under Hoiberg. Offensively we're going to still be potent and fast paced and Prohm has kept his word that the style of play we played under Fred is not going to be changed.

Will be interesting to see how Burton is integrated into the rotation next month too. The 1 thing we really need is some depth, if any of the big 3 of Monte, Niang, and McKay get in early foul trouble we really are going to be pressed for depth. Thomas and Cooke are going to do a great job coming off the bench but they are mostly wing players. Really need to see someone like Simeon Carter step up and be that post player that could give us 5-10 minutes off the bench. I was a little disappointed that Prohm didn't try to get him in around the 8 minute mark last night to get him some extra minutes with some of the main guys.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The big differences I see are better defense and rebounding, and that is strictly an emphasis of Prohm. Just my opinion, but last year I think this would have been a 10-pt game that the starters have to finish. This year it is a comfortable win, because ISU played hard-nose defense. ISU let up a little bit in the second half on the perimeter D, or they probably could have held Chatanooga under 60 points.

ISU is still giving up a few offensive rebounds by a guard leaking out, but it is improved over last year.

Emphasis on Defense and Rebounding..........Sounds like Larry if you cant rebound you cant play for me Eustacy...

I knew Prohm was a winner.............

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The 1 thing that I really have enjoyed so far is the effort on defense. The guys have really put in some effort to improve in this area so far and last night we saw it really pay off playing a team that had hit 12 3's in each of it's first 3 games and they held them to 5-20 from downtown and contested the 3 point line very well which is a refreshing change from the sometimes lazy defense we would play under Hoiberg. Offensively we're going to still be potent and fast paced and Prohm has kept his word that the style of play we played under Fred is not going to be changed.

Will be interesting to see how Burton is integrated into the rotation next month too. The 1 thing we really need is some depth, if any of the big 3 of Monte, Niang, and McKay get in early foul trouble we really are going to be pressed for depth. Thomas and Cooke are going to do a great job coming off the bench but they are mostly wing players. Really need to see someone like Simeon Carter step up and be that post player that could give us 5-10 minutes off the bench. I was a little disappointed that Prohm didn't try to get him in around the 8 minute mark last night to get him some extra minutes with some of the main guys.

I don't see the difference as going from lazy to not lazy. I think they are moving their feet better, and defending more efficiently. Last year our guys were flying at shooters, overcommitting, and leaving the next pass open. Last night, they really cut down on that, and only had to fly at shooters a couple times. Most of the time, they were keeping their guy in front of them by themselves, and helping well.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Players seem to have accepted their coach. Time for fans to as well, can't clone Hoiberg. Help defense has improved greatly.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I hope people are really able to sit back and enjoy this year. It's easy to take things for granted/look ahead/nitpick about small things when you are in the moment instead of just being grateful about where we're at.

My big regret for the 99-00' season is that I didn't just enjoy it while it was happening. I didn't realize how special it was until it was about over because I was always busy looking ahead or worrying about the small stuff...I am going to try and enjoy this year more while it's happening. We have an incredible amount of talent, and we are ranked #4 in the country right now...sit back and think about that for a bit, after where we've been as a program.

It won't always be perfect, but we don't have to be the best team in the country every night, we just have to be the best team on the court.

I've loved watching our emphasis on the defensive end this year btw...I think if we stay healthy and that continues, great things are ahead.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015

I wasn't disappointed at all. You couldn't relax against Chattanooga at all. We got lazy with the ball for a short period and they shrank the lead to single digits in just a few possessions. The young posts will get more opportunities.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

I think everyone would like to see that, as is always the case with FR, but I think he will tread lightly with Carter. He has ability, but he needs a ton of development so we will have to be selective in when we use him.

Also, it seems like our main rotation is still working some things out, so any time he takes away from our true rotation will take away from their cohesiveness.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I hope people are really able to sit back and enjoy this year. It's easy to take things for granted/look ahead/nitpick about small things when you are in the moment instead of just being grateful about where we're at.

My big regret for the 99-00' season is that I didn't just enjoy it while it was happening. I didn't realize how special it was until it was about over because I was always busy looking ahead or worrying about the small stuff...I am going to try and enjoy this year more while it's happening. We have an incredible amount of talent, and we are ranked #4 in the country right now...sit back and think about that for a bit, after where we've been as a program.

It won't always be perfect, but we don't have to be the best team in the country every night, we just have to be the best team on the court.

I've loved watching our emphasis on the defensive end this year btw...I think if we stay healthy and that continues, great things are ahead.

That description fits me to a T. I'm trying to enjoy this one through the ups and downs, because it's likely that this season will be remembered as a really, really positive one for ISU.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I wouldn't worry about this, especially Niang/Naz going at it a little bit - they are like brothers, close on and off the floor, so they feel comfortable getting at each other.

If they are getting at each other a little more it may be by design. Prohm is leaning on those seniors/Morris to help make this transition smooth and them being leaders on the floor and going back and forth a bit is part of that. I also think in general, the core of the team has played a lot together and they are really comfortable with each other so they are able to get at each other more than other teams.

Overall I am very pleased with how we have looked so far.

It happened with Fred's teams, too. Tyrus would get in anyone's face to get things right.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Wouldn't worry about these guys going back and forth. They're are seniors and know what's at stake. If you follow them on social media, it is a tight-knit bunch, especially those top 6.

I loved the defensive intensity. We are staying down and in front of our guy.

Nader still gambles too much, but he's a high-risk, high-reward player, and I don't see that changing. If I was the opposition, and I needed a bucket late, I would run a back door to his side because he always overplays. Offensively, I wish he would focus on taking his guy down low. He's tough inside against the smaller defender, and he's not a good shooter. Prohm should install a shoot-until-you-miss policy on his 3-pointers.

Morris has always been a good defender, but he is jumping passing lanes and extending his on-ball defense way more so far, and it's working. He's averaging 3 steals/gm. He's a special player, and what's crazy is I think he can play better.

Georges isn't pressing at all, and it's great. He's the undisputed leader of the team on the court, and you can tell. He knows his teammates, specifically Monte, are really good. He also knows the last 5 minutes will be his when that time comes. I can't wait to see that first game where he completely takes over.

Thomas has been a stud. Rarely out of position on defense, sticks his nose in the paint, hits enough outside shots, handles the ball, understands his role completely.

We missed Naz's production at the end of last season. If he keeps this up, we are in good shape.

McKay is still really raw offensively. I actually like his mid range moves better than low post. When he gets too far into the lane, he overadjusts instead of going strong and getting fouled. And the free throws. Ugh. But when you grab 17 rebound and physically dominate your opponent on almost every possession, I can't complain too much. He's a lot of fun to watch.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Wouldn't worry about these guys going back and forth. They're are seniors and know what's at stake. If you follow them on social media, it is a tight-knit bunch, especially those top 6.

I loved the defensive intensity. We are staying down and in front of our guy.

Nader still gambles too much, but he's a high-risk, high-reward player, and I don't see that changing. If I was the opposition, and I needed a bucket late, I would run a back door to his side because he always overplays. Offensively, I wish he would focus on taking his guy down low. He's tough inside against the smaller defender, and he's not a good shooter. Prohm should install a shoot-until-you-miss policy on his 3-pointers.

Morris has always been a good defender, but he is jumping passing lanes and extending his on-ball defense way more so far, and it's working. He's averaging 3 steals/gm. He's a special player, and what's crazy is I think he can play better.

Georges isn't pressing at all, and it's great. He's the undisputed leader of the team on the court, and you can tell. He knows his teammates, specifically Monte, are really good. He also knows the last 5 minutes will be his when that time comes. I can't wait to see that first game where he completely takes over.

Thomas has been a stud. Rarely out of position on defense, sticks his nose in the paint, hits enough outside shots, handles the ball, understands his role completely.

We missed Naz's production at the end of last season. If he keeps this up, we are in good shape.

McKay is still really raw offensively. I actually like his mid range moves better than low post. When he gets too far into the lane, he overadjusts instead of going strong and getting fouled. And the free throws. Ugh. But when you grab 17 rebound and physically dominate your opponent on almost every possession, I can't complain too much. He's a lot of fun to watch.

That's because he's got long azz arms and blocks a ton of shots chasing back.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

F that man I'm a fanatic. Let's go do this thing. I'll sit back and enjoy it on youtube in a couple years.

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30

Totally agree. My post earlier wasn't meant to nit-pick. Trust me when I say, I've seen it all, and I'm very grateful for guys like Georges, Monte, Jameel, etc. (all of them.) There was one offensive possession early where the ball movement was fantastic and left Thomas open at the top of the key and he buried the shot. Awesome. I can't wait for a really big game in Hilton and it's rocking. Looking at you Iowa.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
The defense was outstanding. I watched that team play Illinois and I was very concerned for our defensive rotations around the three point line. We did a fantastic job of keeping our man in front of us, switching, and generally harassing their distance shooters into passing or well guarded shots.

I agree re: the defense, which is what I'm most excited about with the coaching change. Even when our offense was stagnant last night, the defense kept them from making a run to get back into the game. Defense wins championships and keeps you in games when shots aren't falling.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron