DirectTv vs Dish vs Mediacom

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
Doing research for my parents about which to get, and I need some first hand info, advice, and pricing options used. Thanks in advance.

Ready, go.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
had all three. settled on DirecTv. Very satisfied with it. Great HD. Great channels. Price is fine.

isustrong

Dec 30, 2011
iowa
Mediacom is the worst they have terrible service. I have Dish network and have zero problems and recomment them.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
dish service SUCKS mediacom>dish, not even close

You have got to be a Mediacom employee or something. Until I die, if I have a choice, Mediacom will always be low on the totem pole.
Have had DirecTV now for 4 months after 5 years of Mediacom (apartments wouldn't allow a dish). Picture, customer service, and cost are all good.
I also signed up at Sam's club and got a discount for having a membership there.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
The only thing I have with Mediacom is internet. Switched from Centurylink because they suck.

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
I had Mediacom for many years and I was not very happy with their level of service. If something goes wrong with any of the equipment. Good luck. My folks (65+) just switched moved into a new house and it literally took 4 trips to finally get the thing right. And you know how long you have to wait between appointments.

I have Dish now and my only complaint is that whenever the weather gets bad you can guarantee it will go out. It happens A LOT. They have been out to fix it once and it didn't do any good. Word on the street is that DirectTV doesn't go out as much. So we will probably switch to them when our 2 year agreement runs out.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
If it is OK, I will just keep that big old antenna that sits in the attic above the garage. It cost $100, including the base, mast, and wiring two years ago. The HD reception of all the local channels is outstanding. Everything else we watch on his and hers laptops.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I spend about $180 a month for Mediacom. I get phone, High Speed Internet, HD Cable with HBO. Seem pricey, but getting the Cubs every other night on Comcast and WGN HD and ISU Football and Basketball almost makes it worth it to me.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I've had DirecTV since October, and the TV went out twice (for brief periods) due to weather. The first instance was fixed in 30 seconds by wiping snow off the satellite. I wasn't with Mediacom before (not around the area), but it's a big improvement over our cable provider here.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Also had all three. DirecTV, hands down. It costs more but it's worth it.

They and Dish will constantly play technology "leap frog". Dish has the Hopper but don't worry, DirecTV will have something better soon.

Reliability is a lot better than it used to be. Back in the old days of the round dishes it would go out everytime it rained. Now it takes a pretty damn hard rain to knock it out. I can count on one hand how many times it's happened since I've been back with DTV for 18 mos. And it's never out for very long.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Directv is great for new customers. If you are already a customer and want to upgrade a receiver, you'll get screwed. I've been a customer for 10 years and they want to charge me $500 for one receiver. I'll have to threaten to cancel to get a deal. In addition, ven though you pay $500 your only leasing that receiver. I've never hade a problem with their channel selection and their technology is decent.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Directv is great for new customers. If you are already a customer and want to upgrade a receiver, you'll get screwed. I've been a customer for 10 years and they want to charge me $500 for one receiver. I'll have to threaten to cancel to get a deal. In addition, ven though you pay $500 your only leasing that receiver. I've never hade a problem with their channel selection and their technology is decent.

I'm calling complete and total BS on this. You can get any receiver you want (DVR or not) and the most expensive one (dual tuner DVR w/400 hrs storage) is $199.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
DIRECTV Home Media Center HD DVR HR34

Directv also wants $400. In addition, Installation plus a different multisitch and it was actually $560. Why would I make this up?

You said $500 for "one" receiver. You did not say,"Their top of the line, latest and greatest, 5-tuner, 800 hour DVR that is not even available to existing customers yet."

The most expensive HD DVR available to existing customers right now is $199.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron