Dish negotiations w/ Hearst Television (KCCI)

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
It's a weird argument because our county doesn't even allow DirecTV or DISH to even carry the local channels. Go figure.

I'll bite. What are you talking about? What county and state?

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Just get a digital antenna and then you never have to worry about it again. Get Fox, CBS, ABC, and NBC over the air for free.
Wish this was an option. We don't get very good reception where we are at. We would have to get an antennae on our roof and there would be no guarantees that the picture would come in the way we liked.

Not concerned about getting the channels in the short run. Just thinking out loud down the road what happens to us consumers.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/40094/small-markets-await-satellite-tv-salvation

It was in the Ottumwa-Kirksville Market. Not allowed to get the Des Moines stations and they probably just didn't want to carry KTVO. And boy is there a difference. If you want to watch some entry level news broadcasts these guys make me look like Keith Murphy.

I am almost 70 miles from the Des Moines towers and can get those and the locals both now with an antenna so it's kinda nice being able to get 2-3 different CBS/NBC/FOX stations especially for NFL games.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
DirecTV customer in Ottumwa.

It stinks not having network broadcasts. Didn't know it was going to be a problem until we moved here, and the DTV installer mentioned it. But, I did find we somehow could get at least NBC & CBS out of NYC, and WB out of DC. (And PBS) Now, it seems after AT&T bought DTV, we've even lost that ability. (Except we still have PBS) We purchased a digital antenna this fall just so we could see the WS on Fox, and even then the signal was iffy. Plus, apartment living means no outdoor antennas for us, and where we can place the indoor digital antenna we do have is limited. (We can't get KTVO) Even if we did get an outdoor antenna, IC's broadcast towers are 70+ miles away. That's on the very edge of most antennas.

Soooo....stick with DirecTV, or hop to Mediacom? Ehhhhhh......neither one is obviously ideal.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
You should be able to get KTVO or more specifically Fox 15, PBS 11.1, and ABC 33.1 and CBS 33.2 (will show up on 3.1 and 3.2 I believe). Nevermind, those are almost 35 miles which people with indoor antenna may have problems.

http://www.antennaweb.org/Stations?...lse&Latitude=41.0543785&Longitude=-92.4208713

I had pretty good luck with this antenna.

Wouldn't show on Amazon.
Terk HDTVAZ Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna

Last edited:

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/40094/small-markets-await-satellite-tv-salvation

It was in the Ottumwa-Kirksville Market. Not allowed to get the Des Moines stations and they probably just didn't want to carry KTVO. And boy is there a difference. If you want to watch some entry level news broadcasts these guys make me look like Keith Murphy.

I am almost 70 miles from the Des Moines towers and can get those and the locals both now with an antenna so it's kinda nice being able to get 2-3 different CBS/NBC/FOX stations especially for NFL games.
So you are allowed to get locals. Not the same as your post. However, it stinks that you're not considered in the DSM market.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Can't get local stations through a satellite. They won't carry them. I'm pretty sure the council and Mediacom played a part. It's not like we are banned by law from picking up the signals if that's what you thought I meant.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
Can't get local stations through a satellite. They won't carry them. I'm pretty sure the council and Mediacom played a part. It's not like we are banned by law from picking up the signals if that's what you thought I meant.

That's regulated by the FCC. They have basically set up territories for local channels and Dish/Direct TV can only sell you the channels in your area. According to their website, they offer locals in SD (see link below, you may have to re-enter the zip). I'm guessing Dish has decided that your market isn't worth the bandwidth cost of a HD stream. They provide the SD channels and they are not allowed to sell you channels from another market like Des Moines.

https://www.dish.com/packages/

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
http://www.kcci.com/article/the-truth-about-ongoing-negotiations-with-dish/9173401

Can the look like anymore of a two year old throwing a temper tantrum?

This is actually pretty amazing. They call so many of these 'false' but then dont refute them at all, just give excuses. (ie: dish says we're doubling the rate- FALSE, its totally in line with what others are doing. The two are not mutually exclusive, and others are behaving badly as well)

Its just pure greed. Attempting to charge the customers (because they are the ones who will ultimately pay) for something that is free OTA. Hope dish doesnt cave, wish all of the providers wouldnt, and let the stations cave when their ad dollars dry up given the % of their viewers that come through cable\sat is high. This should be a symbiotic relationship- cable\sat rebroadcasts network for free, network gets to charge more for its ad rates.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm guessing they'll reach an agreement once the NCAA tourney is over and they have less leverage much like they did when they lost NBC for the Olympics last year. It's pure greed, I'm surviving just fine watching using my OTA antenna, the only inconvenience is not being able to use DVR features so no pausing live TV and have to stream episodes of shows I watch free online through my Chromecast.

Doesn't matter if you have Dish or Direct, they both have to go through this crap way more than they should have to and switching from 1 to the other doesn't stop it from happening either because both have had their battles with this over the years.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I seriously doubt either DISH or DirecTV will go under anytime soon. I mean, DirecTV is owned by AT&T now, and while that doesn't mean it can't fail, it certainly helps. DirecTV is also trying to adjust with the times somewhat by offering their streaming service DirecTV Now. Although I heard it had a bit of a rocky start. Anyway, my point is I don't see satellite television fading away into nothingness anytime soon. There may be some changes to the way it works (i.e. streaming), but I think they'll still be around in one form or another.

They have to do something. My bill is now up to $150/mo for 4 tv's and HBO.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
This is actually pretty amazing. They call so many of these 'false' but then dont refute them at all, just give excuses. (ie: dish says we're doubling the rate- FALSE, its totally in line with what others are doing. The two are not mutually exclusive, and others are behaving badly as well)

Its just pure greed. Attempting to charge the customers (because they are the ones who will ultimately pay) for something that is free OTA. Hope dish doesnt cave, wish all of the providers wouldnt, and let the stations cave when their ad dollars dry up given the % of their viewers that come through cable\sat is high. This should be a symbiotic relationship- cable\sat rebroadcasts network for free, network gets to charge more for its ad rates.

All of this.

Honestly, I see the satellite/cable providers as being in the position of power in these situations. Local network affiliates should be begging Dish/DirecTV/Mediacom to rebroadcast their signals. I bet satellite/cable providers could even get the affiliates to pay THEM to rebroadcast if they hadn't set the precedent at some point to pay the affiliates.

Network programming really only has value to those who are far from the population centers, and that is a very low percentage of subscribers so DirecTV and the others don't have much to lose by telling network affiliate owners to pound sand. The rest of us who live near the OTA signals can just get the signal for free easily. I think network affiliates probably sold the rebroadcast rights as being "convenient" many years ago when TV's were kind of a pain in the ass to switch sources but with technology improvements it's very easy now and antennas are more powerful and compact than ever.

Hopefully Dish holds fast on this. A big time provider needs to show that they aren't afraid of the networks and they won't cave in order to stop this constant back and forth with consumers stuck in the middle. I'd be really interested to see how this is impacting KCCI's bottom line with ad revenue. I think sweeps month is February and they missed out on all those viewers/ratings because of this.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
We're in an interesting time. The first few years television, people watched local channels for free. Then started accessing them through things like DirectTV and Dish. Now we have streaming options and antennas are actually becoming more popular because of streaming options, yet these local channels and their media partners (i.e. Hearst) demanding more money

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I hope DISH holds firm too. Because this is how satellite and cable bills ran up to the levels they are at.

As a recent cord cutter - how does PS Vue and Sling get to carry the ESPNs, etc. at a reasonable rate? Or is it only because they have limited assets and infrastructure and less channels? Basically are the paying the same rates as everyone else?

Reactions: CYdTracked

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Honestly, I see the satellite/cable providers as being in the position of power in these situations. Local network affiliates should be begging Dish/DirecTV/Mediacom to rebroadcast their signals. I bet satellite/cable providers could even get the affiliates to pay THEM to rebroadcast if they hadn't set the precedent at some point to pay the affiliates.
They are required to carry it for free if the provider wants. The provider can also decide to charge for it and the tv company can't air it unless they agree on a price.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
So I saw that KCCI is apparently back on Dish again as of this week. I wonder which side caved....Hearst or Dish? Hopefully not Dish.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron