DISH Network and AMC

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
Less than two hours after AMC's "Mad Men" notice ran, Dish relocated AMC from Channel 130 to Channel 9069 -- without warning its subscribers of its plans. People watching AMC's "The Killing" saw their screens go black. When the picture returned, AMC had been replaced by Mark Cuban's HD Net, which was showing a Nickelback concert.

absolutely hilarious

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Talk about insult to injury! It's one thing to move the channel. It's quite another to throw a Nickelback show in it's place.

LOL. Hat's off to Dish for obviously playing hardball and rolling out the Nickelback option. I'm sure remotes across the country were thrown at those turd burglars

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
This is ultimately the reason I dropped Dish. They were constantly getting into disputes with networks. Are they still not carrying any Disney channels in HD?

Ditto. Also, I get tired of seeing all these great deals they give to new customers but nothing for long-time current customers. I'm going to start switching between DirectTV and Dish every two years to get the deals.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Ditto. Also, I get tired of seeing all these great deals they give to new customers but nothing for long-time current customers. I'm going to start switching between DirectTV and Dish every two years to get the deals.

I'm pretty sure Dish has a fairly strict policy about not allowing customers to return if they were previous subscribers.

When I was in college, I had a small house and had Dish, then when I first moved to the Twin Cities, I had to have cable in my first apartment.

Then, when I bought my house, I tried to get Dish back and had to explain my circumstance to a manager and after a very long conversation, they finally "allowed" me to become a customer again.

That was nearly 8 years ago, so I don't know if anything has changed or not

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
I'm pretty sure Dish has a fairly strict policy about not allowing customers to return if they were previous subscribers.

When I was in college, I had a small house and had Dish, then when I first moved to the Twin Cities, I had to have cable in my first apartment.

Then, when I bought my house, I tried to get Dish back and had to explain my circumstance to a manager and after a very long conversation, they finally "allowed" me to become a customer again.

What wonderful customer service

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA

I can't speak to their previous policies but that is certainly not their policy now. I switched to Directv to get the new customer promos about 6 months ago, and ever since I've been getting emails/calls/mailings from Dish trying to get me to switch back. I will when my Directv promos expire.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I'd love to listen in on a phone call like this.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Any other Dish customers concerned that DISH will actually drop AMC? Hopefully it is all just posturing. It was a **** move by DISH to move the channel.

Fight between Dish and AMC gets nastier - latimes.com

Since I don't watch any of the channels mentioned in the article, I'd have no problem with them dropping them. Of course, I'd hope they replaced those channels with something else or lowered my bill to compensate.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006

Never had that issue here, switched on and off from DISH the past dozen years or so as well. Overall DISH customer service has been better than DirectTv for us. More willing to accommodate on pricing very pleasant on the service call we had to make. Probably a YMMV situation.

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
Last year I had three services calls with DISH as a result of poor signal strenth. In the end they replaced the dish, wiring to the box and the box. No issues since then. I didn't pay for any of the service calls, got my monthly bill reduced and free HBO/Showtime for 3 months. After the first customer service call took 45 minutes and ended up with the representative hanging up on me, I learned to ask for advanced technical support right away. Very helpful.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado

I think you can switch back and forth if you wish, but I've heard both CAN deny you "new customer" promotions if you've been with them before. I think they usually choose to just not fight it but they can and sometimes do.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Last year I had three services calls with DISH as a result of poor signal strenth. In the end they replaced the dish, wiring to the box and the box. No issues since then. I didn't pay for any of the service calls, got my monthly bill reduced and free HBO/Showtime for 3 months. After the first customer service call took 45 minutes and ended up with the representative hanging up on me, I learned to ask for advanced technical support right away. Very helpful.

This is the key to a happy existence with Dish. If you ask for customer service, you'll get someone named "Mike" or "Larry" who talk with a VERY thick Indian accent and you'll spend a lifetime on the phone. If you ask for Tech Support, you'll get someone speaking very plain English and you'll probably be off the phone in less than 10 minutes. Ever since I figured that out, I've been very happy with Dish.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
I'd pay whatever they are asking to continue my torrid imaginary affair with Betty Draper-Francis.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron