Do bowl games matter anymore?

Cy4All

Aug 20, 2022
Due to the transfer portal and opt outs the teams trotted out onto the field for bowl games are not the teams that earned that bowl game. For example look at Iowa. Due to transfers and 1 injury they will be sending out a QB that is either a rs freshman or a true freshman, neither of which have taken a single snap in a live college football game, will be with out key contributors at rb and wr in Gavin Williams, Arland Bruce, and Keagan Johnson. This doesn't even talk about opt outs.

I understand some of the opt outs being worried about injuries but at what point do we start to worry about that? Should they also opt out of conference championship games since they don't really mean anything? How about the last game of the regular season? Is it because there are so many bowls now, the kids just don't care, or something I just don't get? Does an expanded CFP give them more reason to finish the season out?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
They matter as much now as they ever have - technically nothing but still fun. I think people get too caught up in how much they matter rather than just enjoying that we basically get an extra 2-3 weeks of football. I hate all sports outside of CBB, CFB, and NFL so the longer CFB lasts, the happier I am.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
It’s a nice reward for a team and something fun and different. And nice for the fans to have a little extra football. Nothing like betting the farm on the over on New Mexico St vs Bowling Green and getting irrationally upset when it doesn’t hit

Reactions: Farnsworth

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Define "matter".

Bowl games never really mattered other than a handful of them. It seems like players care less than they used to, and I don't fully understand that. If nothing other than the playoffs matter, then why aren't NFL players on teams with more than 2 losses bowing out as soon as their team is eliminated from playoff contention? I don't mean that rhetorically. If _______ Bowl doesn't matter, then why does playing for a 3-4 loss team matter? I think this is eventually where the game is going - players quitting halfway through the season.

But I do think the bowls still matter for guys who aren't going pro after that season. It's more development, and more reps against a different opponent that can make you concentrate on different parts of your own team. And any fan that isn't entertained by them is someone I don't understand. Who wants less football?

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Yes they matter. By the 'bowl games don't matter' logic, once a team can't win their conference they might as well stop playing games.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
As others have said Matter?...No

Do I still enjoy watching them?...Yes

Especially around the Holidays if you are fortunate enough to have some time off or if you work from home their nice to have on in the background as you do other things.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
No, once the playoffs expand they should only be for group of five schools. No power five conference should participate in bowl games when there are 12 playoff spots available.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Matter to who? To me? No. To some of the players? For sure. For coaches who get massive bonuses for reaching them? Oh hell yeah.

Reactions: cyputz

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
They used to, but definitely don’t anymore. Used to watch tons of bowl games. Now I might tune into 1 or 2 of them. Many others still love them though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron