Do bowl games matter anymore?

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I have always loved Bowl Games! I've been to 18 different Bowl Games and a total of 44 of them over the years. High and low. From the Camellia Bowl to the Rose Bowl. Unfortunately, they are not worth going to any longer unless you are just going for the event. That being said, if I lived in a Bowl City, I would go every year.

Reactions: drlove and NWICY

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Did a win over SEMO to start the season matter?

They are beginning to matter less to a team’s season because of the opt outs and transfers. I’m in the same boat as many in this thread that don’t understand the mythical barrier of the regular season and bowl season. The slippery slope would seem to take us to a point where players stop playing when a conference title is out of reach as all hope of a playoff spot is lost.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Depends on the location. Unfortunately we’ve had to go to some of the garden spots like Shreveport, Memphis, San Antonio, New York, Boise, and Orlando.

Reactions: Roots4Cardinal&Gold

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I think for me anyway, it was really cool in middle and high school when they started ratcheting up to 30+ bowls. It was my favorite season on steroids BUT over time, it started to hit me as just oversaturated where all of a sudden 30+ bowl games (now 40+ bowl games for several years) just wasn't new and cool. It was a slog and just not that interesting. I only wish there were 20 bowl games at most simply because for me it's that perfect blend of not too little but definitely not too much.

My UFC fandom fell into the same trap over the years too. There are just so many fight cards now I am like, "Meh". Also, when you are a lot younger, I feel all of these sporting events and the like start to lose their luster because you've seen so many of them. I still love watching sports don't get me wrong. But my priorities and spare time has changed so much from when I was in school.

In the end, if you like the bowl games, then this is perfect for you. If you don't like this many, that's what you feel. It is what it is.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
"Do bowl games even matter anymore?"
"They never did."
Always-Has-Been.png

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
To Iowa State, yes. To Ohio State, Alabama and other elite schools, no.

Ohio State was going to turn down the Rose Bowl because they didn't want to go cause they have been there too many times.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Would it help relevance if we eliminate so many conference tie in’s.
And get rid of all coaching bonus’s for six wins - that’s ludicrous…100,000 for Kirk six wins.

Reactions: GoldCy

Cy4All

Aug 20, 2022
Would it help relevance if we eliminate so many conference tie in’s.
And get rid of all coaching bonus’s for six wins - that’s ludicrous…100,000 for Kirk six wins.
Yes, as far as conference tie ins go. I remember a few years back Nebraska got into a bowl at 5-7 so they could fulfill the bowl tie ins. Completely ridiculous. Bonuses for six wins I suppose should be up to each coach/university to negotiate. Personally I don't think 6 win seasons should get a bonus. Who else besides weather men can accomplish the job at hand only half the time and get a bonus?

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
They don’t, I still like them though, especially the random ones that make great background noise during the holidays. Anymore the annual media denigration of the non-playoff bowl games has become so repetitive around this time. I’m under the firm belief, that they’re just doing this out of spite because this causes them to work over the holidays while most average joe has mailed it in until Jan 3.

• Winner
Reactions: drlove

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
If you have an Athletic subscription this is a pretty good read:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They don’t, I still like them though, especially the random ones that make great background noise during the holidays. Anymore the annual media denigration of the non-playoff bowl games has become so repetitive around this time. I’m under the firm belief, that they’re just doing this out of spite because this causes them to work over the holidays while most average joe has mailed it in until Jan 3.

I know a few people that do bowl betting pools to make it more interesting.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
The bowls still matter, but with increasing number of ‘stars’ now sitting out the interest is really starting to wane. Look no further than TOE’s game.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Probably won't plan on going to another ISU bowl with the way players are sitting out/transferring. I can go to those destinations anytime I want. I doubt the lower ones mean anything to players considering the crappy locations. After 12 games they'd rather move on which many do.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
When everybody on the team who played during the season played in the bowl. Stats count. The win or loss counts. Determines final ranking. They aren't exhibitions. The BCS, then the playoffs, and the trend for top players opting out has made them pretty meaningless though. They meant a lot more when 4 or 5 bowl games might have national title implications. They created too many bowls. Now they have a playoff on top of it. Just scrap them.

I am with you. Outside of maybe Iowa's (my wife is an alum) I probably won't watch any. I am much more interested in the I-AA playoff games, games that I actually watch, than the Egg Beater bowl. The I-AA games mean something to those players and it shows on the field. If the bowls are to continue even with many players opting out, then the NCAA ought to just grant all D1 teams extra fall practice sessions to all but only a select few have an opportunity to play a bowl game.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Do Bowl games "matter". No.

Are Bowl games entertaining? They can be. They are 3 hours of reality TV and are then largely forgotten. Heck, it takes me a few seconds to remember that ISU played Clemson last year.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
I am with you. Outside of maybe Iowa's (my wife is an alum) I probably won't watch any. I am much more interested in the I-AA playoff games, games that I actually watch, than the Egg Beater bowl. The I-AA games mean something to those players and it shows on the field. If the bowls are to continue even with many players opting out, then the NCAA ought to just grant all D1 teams extra fall practice sessions to all but only a select few have an opportunity to play a bowl game.
They may as well just expand the playoffs. It is safe to say it is at the point where the post season NIT basketball tournament means more than most of these bowl games. The bowl games truly have declined to the status of glorified exhibitions.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
No they don't matter, unless your team is playing in one. Even then it doesn't mean much other than more practice and seeing your team 1 more time. If its a couple of good teams playing I will watch if its 2 teams I don't care about in the salad dressing bowl I won't watch.