Do not release Wes

Lastplace

Oct 23, 2006
First, I listened to the presser on my way home from work and I cant wait to see the graphic b/c the audio sounded like GMAC was emotional...and he should be. By the sounds of the actions of Wesley including getting an apartment, getting signed up for summer school, telling gmac to his face that he is commited to ISU, not telling Jean that he was leaving, etc. etc. Wesley pulled a quick one on ISU and ISU needs to make the player pay. All it took was Wes coming to gmac a few months ago when wes said he was upset and we COULD have had an outside shot at getting someone to replace him. Now? I think we are screwed. So.

Something is going on here, he is getting bad info from someone. But there needs to be some time to see where in fact Wesley goes...and where his former AAU coach goes. If there is a tie-in..enter the NCAA and possibly a credit given back to our program after the whole Lucca BS.

My proposal is to not let him out of his scholarship. Make Wesley come back to Ames and go through the removal process. Make Wesley pay for wherever he is transfering to. Wesley will have to sit out a year no matter what, but dragging gmac through the mud by saying the relationship is why he left..will **** off gmac to no end. And Pollard...wow the guy is going to not just sit with gmac and say "yah lets let the scholarship go, wesley did everything right to let us know he was un happy"

I feel good after the presser, and I completly think this is Wesley getting bad info. Considering his bro went behind ISU's back and went to some doctor out in Michigan to see if we were correct on the diagnosis. I say something is going on here more than on the face, give it some time...dont release wes.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
My favorite Mac quote from today was (to paraphrase) "At some point, we need to stand up for ourselves."

As I said in another thread- we've been made an example of before (Lucca) now we need to MAKE the example.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
I think we should eventually release him from the scholarship. We can make better use of it than to burn it on a player that is not coming back. But I also like that Mac and Pollard "are in no hurry".

Lastplace

Oct 23, 2006
I really hope we don't let him go. As I said earlier, call me vindictive, but the way he handled this isn't right.

Its not being vindictive at ALL for you to think that way. Its vindictive for the best player on the team to jump ship w/o saying a word.

jakemcilroy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Mac's quote on M&M..."At some point you have to stand up for your program."
They're not going to release him.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
I say they get to the bottom of the situation before they start releasing anybody. I hate to punish Wes because I'm sure he's just getting really bad advice from somebody (brother?) and doesn't know better.

shildreth

Mar 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
This is one of those damned if you do damned if you don't situations... But it will hopefully teach others to handle it right.... assuming there will be others...

Lastplace

Oct 23, 2006
Think of this as a workplace issue. You are un-happy with your job, you dont say anything to anyone for months. You are working with your co-workers on a huge project that you are a key part of...and one day you just decide to quit. It throws your entire project off, and depending on the contract you sign you get no compensation and...just like wes you have no where to go to start making money right away. Kind of weird comparison, but we just cant have athletes taking off right and left without thinking about the consequences. Like M&M said...all he needed was maybe 1 more year at ISU and he could have had a shot at going to the NBA. Now sit a year and then play a year somewhere else? doesnt make a lot of sense. And if the rumors are true that he is going to Kentucky..good luck getting the playing time there, especially after they have another year of recruiting to get some big time players.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Yeah, I bet a lot of other coaches in the country would appreciate it if we didn't let him out of the schollie real easily. Nobody wants this to become a trend.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
This is one of those damned if you do damned if you don't situations... But it will hopefully teach others to handle it right.... assuming there will be others...

I agree, but if he didn't resign on May 6th this wouldn't be an issue. He left the program in a bad situation by not stating his desicion earlier.

Cyclone711

Oct 27, 2007
Minnesota
To me there has to be a punishment for completely blind siding your University with which you signed an agreement with. It has become more and more of a trend in todays NCAA athletics, no one wants to be the team player, they want to jump ship thinking there will be no reprecussions (which in most cases turns out to be true sadly). Way too much power is given to the athletes in these situations.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You can choose your actions, but you can't choose your consequences.

Wes is free to choose to leave, but it's not up to him whether he gets to have the privilege of playing somewhere else. I'd love it if answers were given to the staff about how this happened.

I'd say hold the scholarship until Mac and JP are satisfied with the answer. Otherwise, it's probably in his best interest (life-wise) to learn what consequences his actions have.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
There's no reason to drag this out. Release him. We don't gain anything by not doing so.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
There's no reason to drag this out. Release him. We don't gain anything by not doing so.
McDermott proves he's a man of his word and contract!

thumb_1190518590215_0p9577015066677685.jpg

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think Mac HAS to release him at some point in the next month or so. If we don't every coach we are recruiting against will make up a bunch of BS and point towards that as an example...