Down goes Freddy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
But, $45 million eases the pain I imagine.

If all he wanted was money, sure.

But pro sports aren't just about money for those who play and coach.

Lotttttttttttttttttttttttta ego involved, too.

Fred wanted to prove he could coach against the best. He couldn't.

His basketball reputation is fast becoming a permanent punchline.

Hoiberg is going to be a staple of "worst NBA coaches ever" listicles forever.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Not really, Fred always wanted to coach in the NBA.
True, but the initial comment about Vaughn was more about the origins of Fred's "I hate recruiting" comments rather than about why he left. I agree, Fred probably ends up in the NBA anyway, but he might not make that comment without the Vaughn experience. Wasn't there another big recruit right after that that ISU thought they had and then flipped as well? Diallo, maybe?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
True, but the initial comment about Vaughn was more about the origins of Fred's "I hate recruiting" comments rather than about why he left. I agree, Fred probably ends up in the NBA anyway, but he might not make that comment without the Vaughn experience. Wasn't there another big recruit right after that that ISU thought they had and then flipped as well? Diallo, maybe?

I thought I had heard Diallo was the one who didn’t come here because Fred couldn’t commit to being here all 4 years?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Diallo is the other one whose name I couldn't remember.

83cy

May 14, 2006
It obviously isn’t all about money because he took the nebraska job.
Well he's too young to retire and I don't think he had a lot of options, also family ties to Nebraska. Fred doesn't need money he needs something to do.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
What would a top job be in the NBA? General Manager?
People often say that once Fred’s Nebraska job ends his next move is back to an NBA front office. But I think that’s dicey given his stint with the Twolves. Their 2009 draft was a disaster when they took 2 PGs (Ricky Rubio, Johnny Flynn) ahead of Steph Curry, then took another PG at 18 (Ty Lawson). There was a joke going around Minneapolis at the time, “How many point guards does it take to screw in a lightbulb?” I think that may have hastened Fred’s move to ISU in 2010.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
People often say that once Fred’s Nebraska job ends his next move is back to an NBA front office. But I think that’s dicey given his stint with the Twolves. There 2009 draft was a disaster when they took 2 PGs (Ricky Rubio, Johnny Flynn) ahead of Steph Curry, then took another PG at 18 (Ty Lawson). There was a joke going around Minneapolis at the time, “How many point guards does it take to screw in a lightbulb?” I think that may have hastened Fred’s move to ISU in 2010.
Wait. Freddie passed on Steph Curry for those guys?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
People often say that once Fred’s Nebraska job ends his next move is back to an NBA front office. But I think that’s dicey given his stint with the Twolves. There 2009 draft was a disaster when they took 2 PGs (Ricky Rubio, Johnny Flynn) ahead of Steph Curry, then took another PG at 18 (Ty Lawson). There was a joke going around Minneapolis at the time, “How many point guards does it take to screw in a lightbulb?” I think that may have hastened Fred’s move to ISU in 2010.

I know some NBA superfan types -- not of a particular team, but of the whole association.

The word "clown" is mentioned with surprising consistency when you ask them about Hoiberg.

• Love
Reactions: Lineup

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I know some NBA superfan types -- not of a particular team, but of the whole association.

The word "clown" is mentioned with surprising consistency when you ask them about Hoiberg.
They aren’t Hawkeye fans also are they? They seem to wet themselves with that name calling of theirs.

• Winner
Reactions: amishclone