Down goes Iowa

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
They both had their moments for sure. PMac way outplayed Kris in the Richmond game. I thought that might have been Kris' worst game of the year.

In general the advanced stats don’t lie. Keegan’s advanced stats were on par with Weiskamp’s last year and he got 18 minutes per game.

Credit Fran for signing them under the radar, but both are only playing about 60% of the minutes they should have gotten. Nepotism rarely breeds excellence.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
You gotta get creative with lineups and play them together more. In today’s game teams play 3 or 4 long wing players all the time.

FFS if they were quadruplets I’d start all four with toussaint or Jobo at point and play them all 35 minutes.

Keegan was top 10 in a lot of big ten stats as a freshman only getting 18 minutes a game. He could have been all big ten last year if it hadn’t been about getting Fran’s kids in to just drop the ball to Garza.
I thought Fran did a good job of managing the roster this year. They just laid a dud when it mattered most. I actually thought this was Fran's best coaching job of his career, up until the Richmond game, which kind of wipes out all capital he gained.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I thought Fran did a good job of managing the roster this year. They just laid a dud when it mattered most. I actually thought this was Fran's best coaching job of his career, up until the Richmond game, which kind of wipes out all capital he gained.

If Kris even ends up with a cup of coffee in the league I’d call it one of the greater lost opportunities I’ve ever seen.

I almost wonder at times if he’s intentionally bringing then both along slowly so he can get 5-6 total seasons instead of 3.

Good chance Keegan would have been drafted last year under most coaches and Kris this year.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Fran's done a very good job of staying out of the bottom of the Big 10 and continuously making the NCAA Tournament. For lots of programs that's all you can ask for. Make the tournament and then see what happens (ala ISU this year). The problem is that Fran has been at Iowa for so long and simply making the tournament hasn't done anything other than keep his job. Fans can't do much outside of keep hoping because Fran will not get fired with those results.
That's a big deal when men's basketball plays third or fourth fiddle behind football, 'rassling, and women's basketball. Good job by Fran...keep up the good work.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
ISU got lucky that Prohm was so horrible. Fran has never really done that and has delivered very average results. Kind of frustrating as an Iowa fan. I almost wish Fran would have a horrible season or two so he would go, but I feel he will have Iowa competitive most years so he won't get fired.
I think Iowa is lucky to have Fran. It is not easy to have Iowa at a third-tier, occasional second-tier, Big 10 program. He keeps Iowa out of the Big 10 basement. Iowa could do much worse imo.

And I mean, look at how fortunate the program has been in recruiting- so many lightly recruited legacy guys that have ended up very good, hidden gems, and talented hawk fans. I think Hawk fans will look back at the Fran era similarly to Davis, and realize this was a golden era of Iowa basketball

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I think Iowa is lucky to have Fran. It is not easy to have Iowa at a third-tier, occasional second-tier, Big 10 program. He keeps Iowa out of the Big 10 basement. Iowa could do much worse imo.

And I mean, look at how fortunate the program has been in recruiting- so many lightly recruited legacy guys that have ended up very good, hidden gems, and talented hawk fans. I think Hawk fans will look back at the Fran era similarly to Davis, and realize this was a golden era of Iowa basketball

I do understand what iahawks is saying though. Had Prohm won 10 games last year...he would have been the Iowa State coach going into this current season. Because last season was such a train wreck...he gave JP the opportunity to move on.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I do understand what iahawks is saying though. Had Prohm won 10 games last year...he would have been the Iowa State coach going into this current season. Because last season was such a train wreck...he gave JP the opportunity to move on.
Perhaps, but Iowa would be unwise to fire Fran even if he has an awful year. I hope they do though. They're much more likely to take a step back

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
A three way tie for 4th in a really down Big Ten is nothing to sneeze at.
And being relieved to not have to play Nebraska in the B1G tournament. I couldn't believe that.

I want to play KU three times a year in basketball and OU twice a year in football. Bring on the big boys.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Fran moving Perkins into the starting lineup was one of the better decisions he made as a coach. It gave them a little more athleticism at the guard spot. The problem is that move could only help so much to hide how bad Jorbo and Connor were. In college basketball, you need good guard play to be successful and Iowa has lacked that for most of Fran's tenure.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: carvers4math

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

I don't think so. Dr. Tom was a much better coach IMO during a much harder era to win especially in the Big 10 at that time. Dr. Tom also never lost a first round NCAA game at Iowa or in his career.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I don't think so. Dr. Tom was a much better coach IMO during a much harder era to win especially in the Big 10 at that time. Dr. Tom also never lost a first round NCAA game at Iowa or in his career.
Those dynamics are nearly a half-century ago. Davis fundamentally inherited what Lute (and even Raveling) had going. Without that, Davis probably doesn't even go to Iowa.

This is a golden era of Iowa basketball, although it may take Fran leaving for Iowa fans to realize it.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: NWICY and iahawks

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
If Kris even ends up with a cup of coffee in the league I’d call it one of the greater lost opportunities I’ve ever seen.

I almost wonder at times if he’s intentionally bringing then both along slowly so he can get 5-6 total seasons instead of 3.

Good chance Keegan would have been drafted last year under most coaches and Kris this year.
Ya. I couldn’t believe how little Keegan was used last year when it was obvious he could play a big role. Especially with how much focus Garza took up for Ds. Keegan should have been 15/8 last year.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

SeventhSon

Apr 13, 2014
I don't know, it's much closer than I would've guessed. Lop off the first two years of both of their tenures (cuz inherited programs) and their regular season performances are very similar. Post-season is a different story tho as you say. Post-season Fran is basically incompetent.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Lol, this is just awesome:
Fran wants CMac back and that is all that matters so get used to the idea Connor will be back playing for this team next year. I like Connor’s game on the court with the exception of his offensive production which needs to be a focal point this off-season to improve his ability to be a contributor on the floor as a starter to around 8 to 10 points per game, 4 to 8 rebounds per game, and be able to limit his defensive assignment to less than what he puts up per game.

Post in thread 'CMac' https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/cmac.386263/post-9983835

• Love
Reactions: Statefan10

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Too many variables as stated earlier. And I’ll add more.

If you’re a rising program the tourney champs is more important, if you’re established, S16 is more important.

And that says a lot bout the 13 (?) years under Fran.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I don't know, it's much closer than I would've guessed. Lop off the first two years of both of their tenures (cuz inherited programs) and their regular season performances are very similar. Post-season is a different story tho as you say. Post-season Fran is basically incompetent.
Take post season out of the last sentence.

Reactions: CascadeClone