Down goes Iowa

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Connor has averaged 2, 4.4, 6.2, 3.3, and 2.5 ppg in his career at Iowa. Him jumping up to 8-10 ppg would no doubt be amazing but you're asking a guy who's going to be in his 6th year of CBB to all of a sudden get a lot better..

If Connor averages that many points that probably means he's taking a lot more shots, which likely means Iowa really struggles.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Fran moving Perkins into the starting lineup was one of the better decisions he made as a coach. It gave them a little more athleticism at the guard spot. The problem is that move could only help so much to hide how bad Jorbo and Connor were. In college basketball, you need good guard play to be successful and Iowa has lacked that for most of Fran's tenure.
I never understood why Perkins wasn’t starting after what little I saw of them last year. The most athletic guard they have and the best facilitator. Of course, I also don’t understand why Connor is anything but being a manager or something.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
CW tweeted a response to Tommy Birch announcing the time of the women's game on Friday with "awful - nearly a direct overlap with the men".

This tweet was in response to CW:

The temptation was SO strong to ask if his team game times overlapped this weekend... :cool:

• Winner
Reactions: Statefan10

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Fran moving Perkins into the starting lineup was one of the better decisions he made as a coach. It gave them a little more athleticism at the guard spot. The problem is that move could only help so much to hide how bad Jorbo and Connor were. In college basketball, you need good guard play to be successful and Iowa has lacked that for most of Fran's tenure.

It was about the most obvious move in the universe and it took him forever to make it. Same story with Kris Murray and Ulis to an extent. More of those 3 and less of Jorbo and the McCafe brothers. Yes, you take a step back on offense, but about 10 steps forward on defense/rebounding.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
And guards (bad) lose tournament games. Please don't tell Fran though...

It's a guards game... I always look at that when doing brackets. One reason I usually do well picking against Purdue, they always rely too much on a couple 7 foot stiffs but are meh on the perimeter.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
It was about the most obvious move in the universe and it took him forever to make it. Same story with Kris Murray and Ulis to an extent. More of those 3 and less of Jorbo and the McCafe brothers. Yes, you take a step back on offense, but about 10 steps forward on defense/rebounding.
It didn't happen until Fran was out with covid protocol and the assistant took over. I probably shouldn't give Fran credit for the move and give it to his assistant instead.

• Informative
Reactions: CascadeClone

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I thought Fran did a good job of managing the roster this year. They just laid a dud when it mattered most. I actually thought this was Fran's best coaching job of his career, up until the Richmond game, which kind of wipes out all capital he gained.
This year should be an undeniable callout that Fran forever limits the ceiling of his teams until he discovers what great guard play is. Basically the same story for the '19 and '21 NCAATs.

Post players? Tons of talent there year after year. Never enough guard play to back it up when it matters.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The fact that Kris didn't start this year is still puzzling. I'm not saying Patrick is a bad player because I actually like his game, but you can't tell me he's better than Kris. Patrick averaged one more point than Kris and played seven more minutes a game.
Fran was confused, he didn’t know they were twins until halfway through the season. You could see Fran coach and when he looked at the bench and saw Kris there, get surprised and wonder, why is Keagan out. He would then yell, Murray get in there. Think one day he finally noticed he had two players who looked alike and asked one of the assistants what was going on.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I thought Fran did a good job of managing the roster this year. They just laid a dud when it mattered most. I actually thought this was Fran's best coaching job of his career, up until the Richmond game, which kind of wipes out all capital he gained.
Yeah, the ISU game was a while ago. What did you think about his performance against Richmond.

Reactions: Marcelason78

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It's a guards game... I always look at that when doing brackets. One reason I usually do well picking against Purdue, they always rely too much on a couple 7 foot stiffs but are meh on the perimeter.

Not this year. And look at where they are.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Perhaps, but Iowa would be unwise to fire Fran even if he has an awful year. I hope they do though. They're much more likely to take a step back
You make a good point and it's something to contemplate. Iowa State going to s16 year 1 of TJ is a bad look for the fran apologists but turnaround and hire Lickliter 2.0 and now it's a uphill battle just to get back to Fran level. I'm not sure what's best because of the unknown of hire. I assume Devries would be betting odds favorite as next coach and I think he's certainly been great at Drake but is he a slam dunk at the next level? I think he could be good but I'm not sure

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You make a good point and it's something to contemplate. Iowa State going to s16 year 1 of TJ is a bad look for the fran apologists but turnaround and hire Lickliter 2.0 and now it's a uphill battle just to get back to Fran level. I'm not sure what's best because of the unknown of hire. I assume Devries would be betting odds favorite as next coach and I think he's certainly been great at Drake but is he a slam dunk at the next level? I think he could be good but I'm not sure
You guys were gleeful that we didn’t hire Devries since he is so much better than TJ. If TJ can do this, you need to fire Fran because Devries should have you in the final four the first year.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
It was a big deal in 00 when we had all 4 big 12 basketball trophies in one year. I have a picture next to them and another from the same celebration day with LE and my roommates.

I mean the elite 8 was as good or better, but the utter domination and destruction of KU and rest of big 12 in both regular season and tournament was a tangible awesome thing.
I still have a shirt commemorating that awesomeness and want a dual sweet 16 one!

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
No offense, but TJ is at Iowa St.
7 coaches over roughly 30 years have reached the tournament. 6 of those the 2nd Round by their 2nd season or better. Since 1996-97, Iowa St has had 5 coaches reach the S16 in season 3 or sooner.

It’s not easy to win at Iowa imo. The Lute and Fieldhouse era is long gone. Davis inherited a far different situation. Fran was arguably a home run for Iowa imo. Look at what he does with UNI 2.0 recruiting , legacies, and the occasional good instate talent that is enough of a Hawk fan to go to a program without much real success since the 90’s. I hope Hawk fans run him off.

Last edited: