Downtown Royals Stadium

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
But the flyer told me they would be the Kansas State Chiefs if they build across the border.
So what, how does calling them the Kansas State Chiefs or the Kansas City Chiefs matter to the vast majority of Chiefs fans? It will still be the KC Chiefs, I really doubt that the people in Kansas City, will turn on them and refuse to go to games, KC is a football town, they love the Chiefs, and will go even if they are across the river. If they do not want to do that, then pass the bond issue and keep the in KC.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I think that is the Chiefs end goal, have the Royals move, and then use the space the K takes up to build a type of ball park village, with bars, restaurants, maybe condo's to sell or rent out.
I am sure the Chiefs will entertain the idea of getting a new stadium across the river, but with the land where the K sits, they could develop that and make a killing off that land.
Have you seen the proposal the Chiefs put out? All the speculation was some big ballpark village where the K currently sits. But that isn't what they pitched at all. They gave us a red astroturf tailgate area and a parking ramp for suite holders. All for 800 million plus an unspecified amount of state and local money that had yet to be worked out.

I hope it was part of a plan to decouple from the Royals in some way, because as a serious offer it was absolutely laughable.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
So what, how does calling them the Kansas State Chiefs or the Kansas City Chiefs matter to the vast majority of Chiefs fans? It will still be the KC Chiefs, I really doubt that the people in Kansas City, will turn on them and refuse to go to games, KC is a football town, they love the Chiefs, and will go even if they are across the river. If they do not want to do that, then pass the bond issue and keep the in KC.
I am happy for the Chiefs to get a new stadium out in Legends, I would prefer not to pay for them to stay in Missouri. Minnesota built a stadium with electronic pull tabs, a hospitality tax on hotels, and a cigarette tax. Let KS pay for it with their sports gambling money.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
One of my favorite parts of this whole saga is the Royals claims of concrete cancer.

Royals: our architects have identified serious issues with the concrete. It would be cheaper to build new than to renovate the K.

Engineers for the county: we report no structural concerns with the K.

Media: hey Royals, can we see your report on these concrete issues? The county engineers see no problems.

Royals: umm, no.

Media: hey Chiefs, Arrowhead was built at the same time with the same materials, what is your plan?

Chiefs: oh we are good, we are going to put in some upgrades and stay at Arrowhead another 25 years.

Royals: umm, it must have been a bad batch. So, can I have my billion bucks now?

Last edited:

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
The rumors are either Nashville, which has been pushing for a team for years or someplace in the Carolina's, both would draw very well, has larger population bases than KC. OKC would also be an interesting landing spot.
KC is a hard place to draw good crowds, they have a very small footprint, go 50 miles to the east and its Cardinal fans, not many people in Kansas to draw from nor in SW Iowa. They were better off before the Rockies were added because they could tap into that market, but that went away with Denver getting a team.
They never have had an ownership group that wanted to spend money, the don't draw many fans most nights in the bottom ten in the league. They also screwed up big time when they were offered the chance to switch to the national league, they turned it down and the Brewers jumped at the chance. The Royals wanted to continue playing the Yankees and Red Sox, forgetting that they only would get those teams for 6 games a year, while Cubs and Cards would have played there 18 times a year.
s
The rumors are either Nashville, which has been pushing for a team for years or someplace in the Carolina's, both would draw very well, has larger population bases than KC. OKC would also be an interesting landing spot.
KC is a hard place to draw good crowds, they have a very small footprint, go 50 miles to the east and its Cardinal fans, not many people in Kansas to draw from nor in SW Iowa. They were better off before the Rockies were added because they could tap into that market, but that went away with Denver getting a team.
They never have had an ownership group that wanted to spend money, the don't draw many fans most nights in the bottom ten in the league. They also screwed up big time when they were offered the chance to switch to the national league, they turned it down and the Brewers jumped at the chance. The Royals wanted to continue playing the Yankees and Red Sox, forgetting that they only would get those teams for 6 games a year, while Cubs and Cards would have played there 18 times a year.
As a Rockies fan, I will happily trade you the Rockies org for the Royals. You just have to take our ownership in the deal.

Cymark86

Dec 2, 2023
Yep. Changed the whole landscape for that team and fanbase. Cubs / Cards 20 times a year or the white Sox and Tigers. Probably shows you why the had 30 years of futility. Such a no brainer decision.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
People realize there is a Kansas City, Missouri and a Kansas City, Kansas, right?
And if they build a new stadium out by the racetrack it will be in...gasp...Kansas City, KS.

The whole Kansas State Chiefs thing is laughable...just praying on the old Missouri/Jayhawker feud...which surprisingly still exists, just in a different form.

• Agree

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
And if they build a new stadium out by the racetrack it will be in...gasp...Kansas City, KS.

The whole Kansas State Chiefs thing is laughable...just praying on the old Missouri/Jayhawker feud...which surprisingly still exists, just in a different form.
Maybe we can call them the Kansas City Chiefs of Kansas City

• Haha
Reactions: KidSilverhair

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
San Antonio can be added to the cities wanting a MLB franchise and having the resources to justify it. Depending on how much Sherman promised Kaufmann when he bought the team, it's not a stretch that it could leave. St. Louis lost their NFL franchise and that metropolitan population is far larger than KC. If I were to advise the powers that be in KC, I wouldn't play poker with the Royals owners because the door has been opened and they are being immediately bombarded with enticing offers. Which probably started before the vote.

• Agree

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
And depending where they build it, Missouri Chiefs fans likely won't even need to cross the river, just State Line Road.

• Winner
Reactions: Candide

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
San Antonio can be added to the cities wanting a MLB franchise and having the resources to justify it. Depending on how much Sherman promised Kaufmann when he bought the team, it's not a stretch that it could leave. St. Louis lost their NFL franchise and that metropolitan population is far larger than KC. If I were to advise the powers that be in KC, I wouldn't play poker with the Royals owners because the door has been opened and they are being immediately bombarded with enticing offers. Which probably started before the vote.
San Antonio wants to be one of the expansive teams when it happens, but I could see both the Rangers and Astros opposing that move. It would cut into both teams current territory and revenue. Without a doubt SA is big enough to support a team.

If I were the Royals, I would zero in on two markets, Nashville and Charlotte/Raleigh NC. Both would be over 200 miles from the closest MLB team which would allow them to have a regional franchise. The Carolinas are growing unbelievable quickly.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
San Antonio wants to be one of the expansive teams when it happens, but I could see both the Rangers and Astros opposing that move. It would cut into both teams current territory and revenue. Without a doubt SA is big enough to support a team.

If I were the Royals, I would zero in on two markets, Nashville and Charlotte/Raleigh NC. Both would be over 200 miles from the closest MLB team which would allow them to have a regional franchise. The Carolinas are growing unbelievable quickly.
They aren’t going anywhere.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
One of my favorite parts of this whole saga is the Royals claims of concrete cancer.

Royals: our architects have identified serious issues with the concrete. It would be cheaper to build new than to renovate the K.

Engineers for the county: we report no structural concerns with the K.

Media: hey Royals, can we see your report on these concrete issues? The county engineers see no problems.

Royals: umm, no.

Media: hey Chiefs, Arrowhead was built at the same time with the same materials, what is your plan?

Chiefs: oh we are good, we are going to put in some upgrades and stay at Arrowhead another 25 years.

Royals: umm, it must have been a bad batch. So, can I have my billion bucks now?
It’s been a weird saga for sure. However, there is no real correlation between the concrete at Arrowhead vs the K. The argument I keep seeing that the two should be the same isn’t accurate.

I would like to see that report though.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
It’s been a weird saga for sure. However, there is no real correlation between the concrete at Arrowhead vs the K. The argument I keep seeing that the two should be the same isn’t accurate.

I would like to see that report though.
Sure, it is plausible. But they were also built at the same time by the same companies. It seems suspicious when the Royals won't share their report.