Downtown Royals Stadium

Beerbrat

Aug 17, 2011
Minneapolis
I voted no yesterday, mainly because I didn't like the lack of transparency from the Royals side. They just recently moved the proposed downtown location to a more controversial area, crossroads is building out a really cool art scene and I agree without proper transparency on how the two could co-exist I'm fine with them leaving or going back to the drawing board. Now if this was presented as tax increase and/or extension to help with Arrowhead reno then I bet 90% of the county would have voted yes.
The lack of transparency from the Royals on financials because they didn't want to disclose to voters how close they were working with Cordish is to blame for the No vote. The terrible plans the Chiefs put forward didn't help matters.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
i know omaha would build them a god damn pyramid

So the royals are going to move to an even smaller market? Doubtful.

I just don’t know where it would even make sense to move the team. Seems like empty threats when it comes to moving them.

Reactions: CyNews

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021

I just don’t know where it would even make sense to move the team. Seems like empty threats when it comes to moving them.
They could move. Omaha is not a realistic option/consideration however.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Just curious. They have a ton of land. Why don't they just build Chiefs and Royals town in between the stadium? I can show them what it might look like. They don't even have to have a doctors office in one of the buildings. Can be all bars.
I think that is the Chiefs end goal, have the Royals move, and then use the space the K takes up to build a type of ball park village, with bars, restaurants, maybe condo's to sell or rent out.
I am sure the Chiefs will entertain the idea of getting a new stadium across the river, but with the land where the K sits, they could develop that and make a killing off that land.

Reactions: Drew0311

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

The rumors are either Nashville, which has been pushing for a team for years or someplace in the Carolina's, both would draw very well, has larger population bases than KC. OKC would also be an interesting landing spot.
KC is a hard place to draw good crowds, they have a very small footprint, go 50 miles to the east and its Cardinal fans, not many people in Kansas to draw from nor in SW Iowa. They were better off before the Rockies were added because they could tap into that market, but that went away with Denver getting a team.
They never have had an ownership group that wanted to spend money, the don't draw many fans most nights in the bottom ten in the league. They also screwed up big time when they were offered the chance to switch to the national league, they turned it down and the Brewers jumped at the chance. The Royals wanted to continue playing the Yankees and Red Sox, forgetting that they only would get those teams for 6 games a year, while Cubs and Cards would have played there 18 times a year.

Last edited:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
It was a repeal of the current tax and an implementation of a new sales tax under a different state statute. The new language effectively took all guardrails off the money so the Royals and Chiefs could use it for anything.
Thanks for clarifying. Isn't the net impact on citizens the same, just the oversight/guardrails are moving?

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Thanks for clarifying. Isn't the net impact on citizens the same, just the oversight/guardrails are moving?
I believe the length of time, the new tax would be on the books for another 40 years.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
People don't usually complain about their tax dollars going towards schools, roads, etc. It's when the money is being wasted. For a stadium? Some feel it's a waste and some don't.
No - people complain about taxes as a whole, not taking into consideration what they're needed for. Yes, there is waste, but there is a huge portion of the population that either wants to get rid of taxes, keep decreasing them, not enforce them on corporations, etc. But they NEVER consider the impacts because "merica".

I'll leave it at that to avoid the Cave.

JohnPrineforCy

Feb 1, 2019
The Royals kind of effed around and found out. Jackson county could be doing the same with voting no. It will be interesting to see how this eventually plays out, but the blame should be on the Royals. They had a half assed plan, and pretty much answered zero questions throughout this process. They changed details often at the last minute, and ran a campaign on wanting the city to just trust them.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Hubbs4cy

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times
80% of the take from legalized sports gambling in Kansas is earmarked for "attracting a professional sports team."

It won't be like the Jets or Giants at all, it will still be the KC Chiefs. JoCo or the Dot would pass that vote tomorrow.

• Winner
Reactions: CloneFanInKC

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
There are several cities pushing for expansion teams that would entertain the Royals I’m sure.
Montreal, Charlotte, Portland, Salt Lake City, Nashville, Sacramento among the top.
There’s a non zero chance the A’s don’t end up moving to Vegas also.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
80% of the take from legalized sports gambling in Kansas is earmarked for "attracting a professional sports team."

It won't be like the Jets or Giants at all, it will still be the KC Chiefs. JoCo or the Dot would pass that vote tomorrow.
The Jets and Giants are still called NY teams, they just play in NJ, I would think the Chiefs would be the same, KC Chiefs, who happen to play in Kansas. Very easy to get out to the racetrack for people here in Iowa, over to I29, down by the airport and out to the area.

• Agree

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
The Jets and Giants are still called NY teams, they just play in NJ, I would think the Chiefs would be the same, KC Chiefs, who happen to play in Kansas. Very easy to get out to the racetrack for people here in Iowa, over to I29, down by the airport and out to the area.
You didnt see the flyers they were putting out, if they move they will be the Kansas State Chiefs :jimlad:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
You didnt see the flyers they were putting out, if they move they will be the Kansas State Chiefs :jimlad:
So they will be listed as the KC Chiefs, just like they are now. Sounds like KC better get their act together or get used to crossing the river to go to games, plus the people in the counties around the stadium will lose their chance to get tickets first. No matter what happens, Hunt has said they will stay in the KC area, that for most of us is all the matters, I could care less whether they play where they are at now, or across the river by the racetrack.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Yeah, they were right next to the “Save the K” leaflets. Regardless of last night’s vote or any potential future vote, the Royals will not be playing in the K in ‘32. Period.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
So they will be listed as the KC Chiefs, just like they are now. Sounds like KC better get their act together or get used to crossing the river to go to games, plus the people in the counties around the stadium will lose their chance to get tickets first. No matter what happens, Hunt has said they will stay in the KC area, that for most of us is all the matters, I could care less whether they play where they are at now, or across the river by the racetrack.
But the flyer told me they would be the Kansas State Chiefs if they build across the border.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron