Downtown Royals Stadium

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Thats the thing, the tax is already in place and has been for a while, its an extension of a current tax, not a new one
Isn't the net effect the same, though? It still comes out of the taxpayers wallet. I have no horse in this race, but as a voter, I'm not sure that it makes much difference if it's a new tax vs. the extension of an existing one. Feels like not much more than semantics

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
I just don’t get how people only blame the Royals for this. The Chiefs are just as much to blame but the Royals get all the hate.

Incredibly stupid people voted to save empty buildings
I agree about the chiefs as well and almost wonder if that was a strategy.

Chiefs could rake if they went to KS or stood alone within Jackson county MO.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The Chiefs have already stated they will not leave the area, Kansas has to be chomping at the bit to get a opportunity to get the Chiefs to move out by the racetrack and be willing to build them a new stadium with all the bells and whistles that they want. Would be just like the Jets and Giants, that play their games across the river in New Jersey.

The Royals are a totally different deal, instead of selling out 10 games, they have to sell tickets to 81 games a year, have very little walk up crowd, as its difficult to get to the games without a vehicle. While its great to go to a game there, in and out is easy, there is nothing around it for people to stay and eat before or after a game. Moving downtown would allow them to build up that area, like they have done in Atlanta and St. Louis. Atlanta's area is really great, tons of places to eat before the game, lots of condo, for young people to live and plenty of bars, all around the stadium, plus a couple of major hotels.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Maybe people are tired of giving their money to one of the richest owner (Hunts) and listened to Frank White. Didn't he state that KC has spent more tax money on the sports complex than the total for parks, schools, and transportation total?

Reactions: CyNews

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I believe the current tax for stadium upkeep has been in place for around 40 years but expires soon. This was to basically extend it for another 50 years (keeping taxes status quo).

I have no dog in the fight, but it's the American norm to hate taxes but complain loudly when roads, schools, etc aren't able to be maintained. Same goes for large infrastructure things like this. Like it or not.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
The Chiefs have already stated they will not leave the area, Kansas has to be chomping at the bit to get a opportunity to get the Chiefs to move out by the racetrack and be willing to build them a new stadium with all the bells and whistles that they want. Would be just like the Jets and Giants, that play their games across the river in New Jersey.

The Royals are a totally different deal, instead of selling out 10 games, they have to sell tickets to 81 games a year, have very little walk up crowd, as its difficult to get to the games without a vehicle. While its great to go to a game there, in and out is easy, there is nothing around it for people to stay and eat before or after a game. Moving downtown would allow them to build up that area, like they have done in Atlanta and St. Louis. Atlanta's area is really great, tons of places to eat before the game, lots of condo, for young people to live and plenty of bars, all around the stadium, plus a couple of major hotels.

Just curious. They have a ton of land. Why don't they just build Chiefs and Royals town in between the stadium? I can show them what it might look like. They don't even have to have a doctors office in one of the buildings. Can be all bars.

CYFanKC

Aug 8, 2023
Just curious. They have a ton of land. Why don't they just build Chiefs and Royals town in between the stadium? I can show them what it might look like. They don't even have to have a doctors office in one of the buildings. Can be all bars.
I wouls say the biggest argument (For the royals that is) is that it is too far away from everything else. Putting it downtown would increase walk up attendance (and regular attendnace) significantly

Hubbs4cy

Oct 10, 2023
I voted no yesterday, mainly because I didn't like the lack of transparency from the Royals side. They just recently moved the proposed downtown location to a more controversial area, crossroads is building out a really cool art scene and I agree without proper transparency on how the two could co-exist I'm fine with them leaving or going back to the drawing board. Now if this was presented as tax increase and/or extension to help with Arrowhead reno then I bet 90% of the county would have voted yes.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I believe the current tax for stadium upkeep has been in place for around 40 years but expires soon. This was to basically extend it for another 50 years (keeping taxes status quo).

I have no dog in the fight, but it's the American norm to hate taxes but complain loudly when roads, schools, etc aren't able to be maintained. Same goes for large infrastructure things like this. Like it or not.

People don't usually complain about their tax dollars going towards schools, roads, etc. It's when the money is being wasted. For a stadium? Some feel it's a waste and some don't.

Reactions: Clonefan94

Beerbrat

Aug 17, 2011
Minneapolis

It was a repeal of the current tax and an implementation of a new sales tax under a different state statute. The new language effectively took all guardrails off the money so the Royals and Chiefs could use it for anything.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I wouls say the biggest argument (For the royals that is) is that it is too far away from everything else. Putting it downtown would increase walk up attendance (and regular attendnace) significantly

People always say this when it comes to stadiums but the evidence doesn’t always support it. It’s possible but not inevitable.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
I voted no yesterday, mainly because I didn't like the lack of transparency from the Royals side. They just recently moved the proposed downtown location to a more controversial area, crossroads is building out a really cool art scene and I agree without proper transparency on how the two could co-exist I'm fine with them leaving or going back to the drawing board. Now if this was presented as tax increase and/or extension to help with Arrowhead reno then I bet 90% of the county would have voted yes.
This is why the Chiefs and Royals will most likely separate. Resulting in the Chiefs taking the most profitable opportunity (presumably staying in KC metro) and the Royals seriously consider leaving.

Reactions: Hubbs4cy

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Can't wait for the uproar of kc people when the royals leave as if they didn't vote for it to happen
I would say a hefty amount of people that voted against it wouldn't care one bit. A solid chunk of the fans float between bandwagon and apathy.

You have some die-hard fans that will justifiably be disappointed. However, a much higher percentage will complain strictly for the social media attention versus any legitimate feelings about the team.

Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron