Downtown Royals Stadium

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
NBA and MLB stadiums belong in a downtown environment since the seasons are forever long..

NFL can make both work.. I wonder if the Chiefs now build a new dome stadium where the K is currently???
This has been my bet all along. They could do it without impeding on the current gameday experience. They've put alot of money into Arrowhead recently so I doubt it happens very soon after the Royals move.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
NBA and MLB stadiums belong in a downtown environment since the seasons are forever long..

NFL can make both work.. I wonder if the Chiefs now build a new dome stadium where the K is currently???
The Chiefs have already stated that they will renovate Arrowhead, they will not build a new stadium. And they won't dome Arrowhead.

• Informative
Reactions: deadeyededric

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
The Chiefs have already stated that they will renovate Arrowhead, they will not build a new stadium. And they won't dome ArrArrowhead
I don't understand what more they could do to Arrowhead that doesn't involve a retractable roof type thing. To me the ability to host Super Bowls would be everything. They hit it out of the park on the 2010 renovation.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
That was part of the initial vision of the street car. Hasn't gone anywhere. Took them forever just to expand it down to the Plaza and that construction has been a nightmare for traffic.
Second phase is near completion. Projects that require votes for funding, require moving utilities in a built out corridor, and cost hundreds of millions tend to take a long time to complete.

It’s coming along and the next phases will hopefully continue on its heels.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Kaufmann has always been special to me. My grandpa took me to what was the first major league stadium I had been to. Ten year old me, fifty years ago, in a new stadium that at the time was state of the art. I loved those fountains. I understand moving on but I will miss that stadium.
And after they redid the stadium (what just 15 years ago?) it really upgraded things and made it a very fan friendly ball park. Such a great ball park now.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
And after they redid the stadium (what just 15 years ago?) it really upgraded things and made it a very fan friendly ball park. Such a great ball park now.

Yeah if you’ve got young kids that outfield experience area is great and there is just no way you can do all that in a downtown stadium.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
As a Twins fan I'm excited about a downtown ballpark. Much easier for me to get to and much cooler atmosphere.

Although the K really is a great place to watch a game.

Now if they can just get an NHL team in the T-Mo center!

• Agree
Reactions: cyguy9320

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
As a Twins fan I'm excited about a downtown ballpark. Much easier for me to get to and much cooler atmosphere.

Although the K really is a great place to watch a game.

Now if they can just get an NHL team in the T-Mo center!
And give the team the Scouts name again.

Reactions: cyguy9320

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times
This wasn't a Save the K vote. Sherman has made it clear that the K is done in 2030. Hopefully, someone can get something done somewhere in the metro, but I don't have a lot of faith in anyone involved, especially current ownership.

If the Royals leave KC, I'll be crushed.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I think the Royals have handled this poorly every step of the way. The messaging has been all over the place, they keep missing their own deadlines, they seem uninterested in what the community wants and just try to push what they want. And of course you always have the challenge of billionaires asking taxpayers for a handout when household budgets are hurting.

The Chiefs didn't help much either by rolling out an uninspiring plan that mainly includes VIP upgrades that will never be used by the general fan and voter.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
This wasn't a Save the K vote. Sherman has made it clear that the K is done in 2030. Hopefully, someone can get something done somewhere in the metro, but I don't have a lot of faith in anyone involved, especially current ownership.

If the Royals leave KC, I'll be crushed.
Pretty much everyone I work with voted against it. I think the timing of this following all of the property assessment issues has left a lot of people pulling their purse strings a little tighter to their chest. When your average citizen is looking at a tax that will be passed onto their children and grandchildren, it was going to be a tough bill to get passed.

And, like Aeroclone said, this was really mishandled from the onset.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CYFanKC

Aug 8, 2023
Thats the thing, the tax is already in place and has been for a while, its an extension of a current tax, not a new one

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It sucks for these cities, but this is the way these teams are playing it. We want a new stadium, and want the city to pay a large portion of it, or we are going to move. I feel sorry for Oakland fans, but they messed around for yours, and could not get a deal worked out and now they are moving to Vegas. KC could easily move to Nashville or to Charlotte and get their new stadium and draw better crowds.
Like any owner, these teams want the box areas that bring in more money for them, and the K just does not have a lot of boxes and suites to sell to businesses and fans.

Reactions: BigJCy