Downtown Royals Stadium

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Once upon a time I thought there was discussions to really improve KC public transportation and maybe even go all the way to the new airport?
That was part of the initial vision of the street car. Hasn't gone anywhere. Took them forever just to expand it down to the Plaza and that construction has been a nightmare for traffic.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
The K was cool because you could tailgate but that's only good for weekend games and nowhere near the same as tailgating for Chiefs games. Downtown baseball stadiums are 10x better as long as they get the parking situation done right. So many people will be able to walk to this from their apartments/offiices. P&L is 2 blocks away, the crossroads is loaded with good breweries, restaurants, etc.. Long overdue IMO.

The location makes pretty good sense to me (as an outsider). You might lose some of the fans from the suburbs who don't want to deal with finding parking/traffic/going downtown on weekdays, but they'll probably make up for some of it with increased traffic from other downtown events. I could very easily see companies that are at a convention downtown renting a box for Wednesday night game. It's walkable or an easy Uber.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
The location makes pretty good sense to me (as an outsider). You might lose some of the fans from the suburbs who don't want to deal with finding parking/traffic/going downtown on weekdays, but they'll probably make up for some of it with increased traffic from other downtown events. I could very easily see companies that are at a convention downtown renting a box for Wednesday night game. It's walkable or an easy Uber.
was curious what the twins attendance looked like when they moved to Target field
(removed 2020)

1707844533600.png

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
As a suburbanite on the KS side, I will probable go to more games. It'll cut down on drive time for me. Also, since I work closer to downtown, it'll be easier to grab a meal/drink and hit a game versus not having an option that doesn't involved getting in and out of a car a few times.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Most of KC suburbia is closer to downtown compared to Kaufman.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
My sister and her husband live in Merriam, KS and will probably go to more games because of this. It was a haul to get all the way over to Kauffman on a weeknight.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
was curious what the twins attendance looked like when they moved to Target field
(removed 2020)

View attachment 123828

Kind of what you would expect. Big bump when it opens then kind of back to normal.

Also, if we're being honest the Metrodome was one of the worst places to watch a game I could imagine. K is still a good spot to watch a game.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic and Messi

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Most of KC suburbia is closer to downtown compared to Kaufman.

That's actually a good point. My KC geography isn't great.

Kind of what you would expect. Big bump when it opens then kind of back to normal.

Also, if we're being honest the Metrodome was one of the worst places to watch a game I could imagine. K is still a good spot to watch a game.

Yeah. Everyone wants to go see the new shiny thing. When it comes down to it, winning has more of an affect than anything on attendance.

• Agree
Reactions: flander1649

JohnPrineforCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2019
I am very excited for this. Going to be great for a city that is already on a massive heater. Hope one day the streetcar makes it to Waldo so I can just hop on and go to a game.

Reactions: deadeyededric

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I do wonder if this location could result in scaling back on the ballpark village. With this basically connecting P&L with the Crossroads, you already have a lot of bars and restaurants nearby. A big focus on food and entertainment may oversaturate the area. Perhaps they look at adding more residential to the village to get more people in the area.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Agreed. However the goal was to be completed in time of the World Cup? I honestly don’t remember when that’s; 26 or 28?

If 26, that park completion doesn’t seem likely.
26, was recently announced KC is getting 6 games. No US games unless they get placed there for a quarterfinal game.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Don’t know if I agree that it’ll be easier to get to the new park. It’s pretty easy for me to get from Overland Park to Kauffman, but going downtown at that same time tends to be a cluster

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Don’t know if I agree that it’ll be easier to get to the new park. It’s pretty easy for me to get from Overland Park to Kauffman, but going downtown at that same time tends to be a cluster
Much worse leaving downtown after work than getting into. I never had a problem getting home from south KC after work when I lived on 16th and Walnut. 71 North was always wide open until you get to the bottleneck just after 22nd street but could just hop off at that exit instead of going to Truman.