Downtown Royals Stadium

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

I don’t know the logistics but the Royals stadium seems really great where it is. Lots of parking, near the interstate. Guess the rich dudes know more than me though. Just seems like a great place to go to see a game

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I don’t know the logistics but the Royals stadium seems really great where it is. Lots of parking, near the interstate. Guess the rich dudes know more than me though. Just seems like a great place to go to see a game
It served it's purpose. Time to get with the times now. Other than being easier to get in and out of a baseball stadium basically in the middle of nowhere sucks. Lacks modern amenities, an entertainment district around it, and the things other teams are doing to increase revenue.

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
Works for the football team. LOL

Baseball stadiums have a much smaller footprint, fan base and can be squeezed in much smaller spaces.

I think the daily grind of baseball (81 dates a year) and ability to plug in passively makes it unique to be a part of downtown or other multi-use entertainment districts.

Like any sport. Build a winner and people will come. Otherwise it’s a loss cause

Reactions: Messi

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
This is interesting considering P&L is just down the street. I imagine they scale back the plans they had for the ballpark district since it doesn’t really make sense to have those right next to each other.

I’ve come around on the new ballpark, but it does suck losing one of the best stadiums in the league. As long as the new one has the crown scoreboard and fountains I’ll be fine

Last edited:

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
This is interesting considering P&L is just down the street. I imagine they scale back the plans they had for the ballpark district since it doesn’t really make sense to have those right next to each other.

I’ve come around on the new ballpark, but it does suck losing one of the best stadiums in the league. As long as the new one has the crown scoreboard and fountains I’ll be fine
Kaufmann has always been special to me. My grandpa took me to what was the first major league stadium I had been to. Ten year old me, fifty years ago, in a new stadium that at the time was state of the art. I loved those fountains. I understand moving on but I will miss that stadium.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Kaufmann has always been special to me. My grandpa took me to what was the first major league stadium I had been to. Ten year old me, fifty years ago, in a new stadium that at the time was state of the art. I loved those fountains. I understand moving on but I will miss that stadium.
I spent a lot of my summer weekends at Kauffman so I'm very nostalgic about it. I'm going to absolutely miss it but I also understand the need for a new stadium.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I like the K, it's cheap, pretty, and is unique.
We need to understand that there's 10x as many home baseball games as football and that can be big business.
Those of us that have been near Arrowhead/K know the area is non-existent for anything else.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I like the K, it's cheap, pretty, and is unique.
We need to understand that there's 10x as many home baseball games as football and that can be big business.
Those of us that have been near Arrowhead/K know the area is non-existent for anything else.
That area pretty much never developed. I think they planned on the Truman Sports Complex helping develop that unused area but there isn't much around there unless you like Denny's

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

Having multiple walkable areas to do things in a downtown is good for cities. More dense the better. Giant asphalt parking lots suck.

#fuckcars

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: cyfan92 and Messi

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
theres something ironic about fans that complain about parking and ease of automobile commute
when the most iconic baseball stadiums in country are located in high density downtown areas
(Wrigley, Fenway, Yankee, PetCo, etc.)

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
theres something ironic about fans that complain about parking and ease of automobile commute
when the most iconic baseball stadiums in country are located in high density downtown areas
Wrigley threatened to move to OHare area under Ricketts which to me would have been wild. I don't love everything Ricketts has done to the Wrigleyville but a lot of the area needed sprucing up.

• Agree
Reactions: cyguy9320 and Messi

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
The K was cool because you could tailgate but that's only good for weekend games and nowhere near the same as tailgating for Chiefs games. Downtown baseball stadiums are 10x better as long as they get the parking situation done right. So many people will be able to walk to this from their apartments/offiices. P&L is 2 blocks away, the crossroads is loaded with good breweries, restaurants, etc.. Long overdue IMO.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
The K was cool because you could tailgate but that's only good for weekend games and nowhere near the same as tailgating for Chiefs games. Downtown baseball stadiums are 10x better as long as they get the parking situation done right. So many people will be able to walk to this from there apartments/offiices. P&L is 2 blocks away, the crossroads is loaded with good breweries, restaurants, etc.. Long overdue IMO.
Who gives a **** about parking? That will always sort itself out and is always blown way out of proportion.

Walkable things to do

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The K was cool because you could tailgate but that's only good for weekend games and nowhere near the same as tailgating for Chiefs games. Downtown baseball stadiums are 10x better as long as they get the parking situation done right. So many people will be able to walk to this from their apartments/offiices. P&L is 2 blocks away, the crossroads is loaded with good breweries, restaurants, etc.. Long overdue IMO.

Certainly better than some of the other proposed locations.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Who gives a **** about parking? That will always sort itself out and is always blown way out of proportion.

Walkable things to do
People who live in cities with terrible public transportation like KC. The street car helps but not a ton. Just an underground parking garage like P&L has would be perfect.

Reactions: CYFanKC

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
People who live in cities with terrible public transportation like KC. The street car helps but not a ton. Just an underground parking garage like P&L has would be perfect.
Once upon a time I thought there was discussions to really improve KC public transportation and maybe even go all the way to the new airport?

• Optimistic
Reactions: deadeyededric

CYFanKC

Aug 8, 2023
The expanded street car will help allow people from NKC to the plaza get to the game, but still need to worry about all the suburbs people who need parking. I live right on the outskirts of crossroads and if there is any event going on there at all, parking is a disaster